CVO Technical > Twin Cam

Engine/Cam Failure

(1/2) > >>

Bug catcher:
Does anyone have any insight into what could be wrong with my bike (2004 CVO EG)? I'll be tearing off the cam cover this weekend as I suspect something is broken but I'm looking for wisdom from anyone who has seen this before. It quit on me suddenly, it was running great, good power etc. and I came around a curve and tried to give it gas to go up the incline and it started sputtering, popping, no guts almost like a car engine when the distributor is way off. As soon as I let off the gas it died. It still starts but runs extremely rough. We pulled the crank sensor and I've got some shavings on it. I'm of the opinion that it's a broken cam chain or may I've sheared a keyway on the cam chain gear etc.??? Looking for ideas.
Thanks!

*58Vette:
Your on track, lifter/cam failure...

HD Street Performance:
More than likely you have cam tensioners that are gone and past the plastic into the metal. If it were mine and I found that I advise a full motor and cam plate flush, oil pan off, before replacing parts. Upgrade to the SE hybrid kit gets you better lower pressure tensioners and an improved oil pump. At the same time replace the cam bearings and lifters.
Inspect first then decide.

Bug catcher:
Thanks both of you guys for the insight.

Bug catcher:
Got it torn down and ended up being an inner cam bearing that was gone. It's far enough that it has some case damage which means complete rebuild. Kind of stinks but we'll rebuild it to better than new. May drop in a Baker 6 speed while we're there.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version