Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review  (Read 48320 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

Terrie and I have had the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves for years.  However, yesterday we invested in a little more comfort....the Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants.

In less than 24 hours I have to say it's probably some of the best riding gear I've ever bought. Some of the specs:

»   Rugged 330-denier Cordura
»   Ballistic-grade Cordura in the shoulders and elbows
»   Polyurethane coating, heat-sealed seams and waterproof zippered pockets
»   Reflective piping plus full reflective back panel and on chest pockets
»   Additional pockets below the belt line add to your storage capacity
»   Zippered hand-warmer pockets are standard
»   CE-rated removable Knox armor in the shoulders, elbows and spine

My observations and experience after a short 75 mile day ride this morning.....compared to leathers, much lighter weight yet warmer and dryer.  It has a waist belt that loops back at the front opening, to either side and secures with velcro type hook and loop fasterners.  The cuffs at the wrist as well as at the ankles have large velcro type bands to cinch up the cuffs to the riders comfort.

This outfit is designed to wear a light undergarment but not jeans (although some wear jeans under them).  Wanting to test it in the mode it was designed for, I wore thin sweat pants and a t-shirt to experience it's full effect.

Using our existing dual controller, I have to say it was very, very comfortable.  We started out at about 38F and it was 45F when we returned.  We were very comfortable the full extent of our ride.  The waist belt on the jacket provided us a place to hook the dual controller and so that wasn't an issue and provided us the opportunity to control the pants and jacket/gloves seperately.

The icing on the cake for this outfit is that it serves the dual purpose of a rain suit!  So while you're staying warm, you're also staying dry.  Chuck rode from San Mateo to our home here in Elk Grove in the rain last night.  He was totally dry and the outfit appeared to be dry and had very little water on it.  The water seems to bead up and run right off.....it sheds water very, very well!

I would recommend this outfit to anybody that rides year around or has to ride in the cold temps or the rain.  A perfect outfit for those that commute on their bike year around (Ernie, Magoo, etc.).

I had opportunity to talk with Jeff Gerbing at length.  I asked Jeff if he had any plans for a wireless temp. controller.  He said that there is, in fact, a remote controller in the works and will be available for release in Sept. 2012.  It is not like the competitors.  This controller is a four channel controller.  You'll be able to control different temp. levels on four different items (jacket, gloves, pants, boot insoles) at the same time.  And each channel will have a memory.  So if you set the jacket at 72F and the gloves at 76F, etc. the controller will remember that.  Sounds pretty interesting and of course, he was very excited about it just describing it to us.

Also, In the past, if you bought your Gerbing gear from a retailer and not directly from Gerbing, you had to have a receipt in order to get warranty work done on the item.  That's no longer the case.  Jeff learned about that and put a stop to it.  If his name is on it, it has a lifetime warranty......no receipt necessary regardless of who you bought it from!

Here's a link to the XE (eXtreme Element) gear......  http://gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20jacket.php   

I'm sure somebody else here has experienced the XE gear and they can share their experience.  I thought I'd write this as I'd never seen a review on this forum for the XE.  Check it out......it's well worth it. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »

I snapped some pics of Terrie during our ride today, to show you the XE outfit being worn by somebody you all know.....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »

Thanks for the reveiw. I've been looking at the jacket liner and gloves for cold weather riding but I'm going to look ino this now. Seeing it also works great for rain gear will mean less stuff to pack when traveling.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »

Looks like a very good choice to add to your options for any given ride or trip.    :2vrolijk_21:

Mike

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

Thanks for the reveiw. I've been looking at the jacket liner and gloves for cold weather riding but I'm going to look ino this now. Seeing it also works great for rain gear will mean less stuff to pack when traveling.

One of our deciding factors. :2vrolijk_21:  As far as function goes, it just can't be beat.  In the fall or spring....when it's cold in the morning but warms up mid day....the pants have a side zipper on each leg that runs the full length.    But we're not going to win any fashion show in this outfit.

Roger stopped for a few minutes when he saw us at the Gerbing booth at the show.  He said "JC, ten years ago you wouldn't be caught dead in something like that".  I agreed......yep there was a time in my younger years when it was all about speed and the "look good" no matter what the comfort (or lack of).....now I'm old enough that I can say that comfort is first priority....the "look good" comes after that. ;D

It felt really nice this morning to go down the road with temps in the high 30's and I was totally warm and comfortable without being all bogged down with layers (I had sweat pants and t-shirt under this outfit).  Lots of freedom to move around and much lighter weight than leathers, liners, layers and all that goes with that. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »

That was one popular booth, I didn't see them on my first pass but on the way out I tried to check out the XE gear but I was one of many so I just bailed. Those guys were busting their butts trying to assist everybody that was waiting and trying stuff on.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »

Terrie and I have had the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves for years.  However, yesterday we invested in a little more comfort....the Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants.

Here's a link to the XE (eXtreme Element) gear......  http://gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20jacket.php   

I'm sure somebody else here has experienced the XE gear and they can share their experience.  I thought I'd write this as I'd never seen a review on this forum for the XE.  Check it out......it's well worth it. :2vrolijk_21:

JC,

I'm really interested in these (jacket and pants) as I too have the liner and gloves.  Love that it's a rain suit, too.  Is there a show discount?  I'll most likely be going to the show when it comes to Long Beach in a couple of weeks.  Probably should try the goods on before buying since I'm a little mis-figured  ::) 
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »

JC,

I'm really interested in these (jacket and pants) as I too have the liner and gloves.  Love that it's a rain suit, too.  Is there a show discount?  I'll most likely be going to the show when it comes to Long Beach in a couple of weeks.  Probably should try the goods on before buying since I'm a little mis-figured  ::) 

Long Beach show sounds like another GTG opportunity Jimmy ... and others ...  :2vrolijk_21: 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

JC,

I'm really interested in these (jacket and pants) as I too have the liner and gloves.  Love that it's a rain suit, too.  Is there a show discount?  I'll most likely be going to the show when it comes to Long Beach in a couple of weeks.  Probably should try the goods on before buying since I'm a little mis-figured   ::) 

You and I are probably at opposite ends of the spectrum on this issue. ;D  But I have to try everything on also.

No, no show discount but you are able to try everything on......provided they have it in stock.  They were selling non stop on Sat. and I suspect it was the same way on Friday evening.  We were there first thing Sat. morning and they were already out of some sizes on certain styles when we got there.  Terrie and I comandered their back room where they keep stock.....to use as a dressing room to try the pants one. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »

I guess now we will have to peddle our existing liners???
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »

I just finished my first FULL day using this same gear... I opted for the LT Jacket instead of the EX but have the EX pants. The LT Jacket has the same micro wire technology and it's a hybrid... also runs on battery. My main reason for the jacket though was the form fit. The EX was just a bit long for me when in the saddle.  But I digress...

As JC said, this is probably the best gear I've ever ridden in. When I left this morning it was 30. Once I got to the Summit on I80 it was 19 degrees. I rode nearly 500 through the high desert, never over 35 degrees and landed warm and feeling great. I also had the opportunity to REALLY try it out n the rain a few nights ago... rain, low 40's for about 2 hours. COMPLETELY dry and warm when I got home. Good stuff.

Here's a pic of the LT Jacket and EX Pants.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:53 AM »

Thanks JC for the GREAT review and the awesome picture's!  Your wife looks very comfortable and warm!  With these clothes having wires running through them, is it still ok to roll them up tightly and put them in your saddlebags without harming the wires?  Also, does your wife like the stiffer clutch you put on her mc?  Thank again!  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »

Thanks JC for the GREAT review and the awesome picture's!  Your wife looks very comfortable and warm!  With these clothes having wires running through them, is it still ok to roll them up tightly and put them in your saddlebags without harming the wires? Also, does your wife like the stiffer clutch you put on her mc?  Thank again!  :2vrolijk_21:

:o I would never do such a thing. :o   Seiously, she's noticed a bit of a difference but the SE pressure plate isn't something she's complained about.

Yes, the heated gear can be rolled up, stuffed, etc. the same as the jacket liners.  Gerbing knows that space is an issue on motorcycles and that they're going to be put throught the test of "let's see if we can get this big jacket in that little tiny space".

As some of you know, there were issues with the unit on the inside of the jacket (where all the wires plug in).....over heating, the wires pulling out of the plug or the inside of the recepticle pulling out.  Jeff Gerbing acknowledged that issue as well and they've changed vendors.  If you have that issue, just send it back to Gerbing and they'll replace it for you. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

Thanks for the pics of the other jacket, Cap.  Those of us who are vertically challenged can look like a Fire Plug with the wrong attire on.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

Thanks for the pics of the other jacket, Cap.  Those of us who are vertically challenged can look like a Fire Plug with the wrong attire on.
Heh now... I like fire plugs. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »

Heh now... I like fire plugs. :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

Sorry...just couldn't resist
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:23:33 PM by DJ56 »

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »

Thanks for the write up JC and Cap. May even be worth looking into here in Florida since it doubles as a rain suit. Believe it or not it can get cold and wet here!  :P

JC, those dealer pics don't look like a Harley dealer.....just sayin... :huepfenlol2:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »

Thanks for the write up JC and Cap. May even be worth looking into here in Florida since it doubles as a rain suit. Believe it or not it can get cold and wet here!  :P

JC, those dealer pics don't look like a Harley dealer.....just sayin... :huepfenlol2:

Thinkin about crossing over for a bit of a thrill.......... :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

We were looking for the BMW style pigtail for our heated gear.  It was Sun and the BMW dealership was closed.  For what it's worth.....Cycle Gear doesn't carry much of any type of heated gear wiring stuff. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »

For what it's worth.....Cycle Gear doesn't carry much of any type of heated gear wiring stuff. :nixweiss:

For what it's worth Cycle Gear doesn't carry much of anything I need.
Found out they carried Redline so went there to pick some up.
They had 1 quart, manager said a shipment was coming in the next day.
Next day I stopped by and they had gotten in another quart. I was like WTH, manager called headquarters and was told that store was scheduled to only carry two quarts at a time. No more Cycle Gear for me.

:nervous:    :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »

:huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

Sorry...just couldn't resist
Heh... Dogs like 'em too... The water 'em... we get water from 'em. ;) :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:47 AM »

Excellent review JCV.  I just bought the Gerbing liner and gloves (my first for heated apparel) and haven't had the chance to try them out yet.  However, looking at your pictures I may have to place the jacket and pant suit on my "after-Christmas" list.  Excellent thread...thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Randy
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

Great review JC, Terry and I will definately be needing this gear soon.  Doc

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »

On our journey through Kings Canyon-Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks, Terrie informed me that we've lost our social status in life (whatever that was).....that we now look like BMW riders. :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

Hey, when you're totally comfortable from your feet to your head and it's below freezing out......who cares what you look like.  Our priorities change with age. :P      And the icing on the cake is that it's so much more light weight and comfortable than leathers! :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »

JC,

Thanks for the review...I have been looking at this one on-line but now you have provided me with the personal experience...I now consider this one a must have upgrade!

Thanks

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »

The Fonz approves!!!
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »

Thanks for the review.

I just looking at a liner right now, but the ballistic jackets are nice looking... and my leathers are getting a bit long in the tooth

Anyways I stopped worrying what I looked like when I bought my Harely :D
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »

Hey you don't need all that fancy riding gear, this trike has a heater and air conditioner...really !! A friend in town has one.   :P  Doc

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »

I may have retired from the Military after 27 years... but I am not that old... yet

I might get that for my 75 birthday if they have a CVO version :D
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »

I may have retired from the Military after 27 years... but I am not that old... yet

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »

Hey JC, I was curious what size jacket and pants Terrie bought?  She looks to be about my size and from the Gerbing website it looks like I need small to extra small.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »

Hey JC, I was curious what size jacket and pants Terrie bought?  She looks to be about my size and from the Gerbing website it looks like I need small to extra small.

She's 5'7" tall and wears a "extra small-regular" (vs. extra small-tall).

The Gerbing gear sure came in handy this weekend.  We rode in 32F-34F weather for about four hours Sat. morning.  Other than my feet.....I was totally comfortable. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:49:06 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »

That's about the age of the guy that owns it. He also has a couple Boss Hogs and several HD's, but this is all he ever uses when we ride every week on our Thursday pick-up ride.   

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »

She's 5'7" tall and wears a "extra small-regular" (vs. extra small-tall).

The Gerbing gear sure came in handy this weekend.  We rode in 32F-34F weather for about four hours Sat. morning.  Other than my feet.....I was totally comfortable. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks JC  :2vrolijk_21:

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »

Thanks for the great info JC!
Now I read it a little late today and I had just earlier today placed an order for my first set of Gerbling gear.
I ordered jacket liner, pant liner, T5 gloves, dual temp. controller and a case for it. I read so many great
reviews here and wanted it for some time so I did it today and now I read your review and know somewhere
down the road I will probaby dump more money into heated gear. That's OK because where I live it will extend
my riding season quit a bit. There is always something else to spend your money on.

Face
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »

Thanks for the great info JC!
Now I read it a little late today and I had just earlier today placed an order for my first set of Gerbling gear.
I ordered jacket liner, pant liner, T5 gloves, dual temp. controller and a case for it. I read so many great
reviews here and wanted it for some time so I did it today and now I read your review and know somewhere
down the road I will probaby dump more money into heated gear. That's OK because where I live it will extend
my riding season quit a bit. There is always something else to spend your money on.

Face   

Not bad way to go except for the pants liners.  They're designed to be worn under pants (or coveralls, etc.).....they'll never fit under your jeans! :confused5:  I never wore my pants liners in five years......eventually sold them to somebody on this forum that lives up in the northeast.

West Coast GTG   

mikegiotto

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ROADKING
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »

Does anyone know if the electrical system can handle both a rider and passenger in full gear (jacket, pants and gloves.) if so can you just plug it into the lighter on a SG.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Not bad way to go except for the pants liners.  They're designed to be worn under pants (or coveralls, etc.).....they'll never fit under your jeans! :confused5:  I never wore my pants liners in five years......eventually sold them to somebody on this forum that lives up in the northeast.

Thanks JC I think I will call them in the am and see if I can cancel the pant liner and order the XE pants instead. I have a new 2XL lightweight harley jacket that will be great with the jacket liner. I can understand what you mean because most of my jeans are tight.

Face
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:40:15 PM by faceracer »
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »

Does anyone know if the electrical system can handle both a rider and passenger in full gear (jacket, pants and gloves.) if so can you just plug it into the lighter on a SG.

It can handle both rider and passenger if you've got two leads.  The cigarette lighter can be one of the leads but be careful that your wires aren't touching any paint.....you'd be amazed at how quick it'll wear through your clear coat.  Better to just put two leads under the seat frame.....be sure they both have an in line fuse (it comes with each Gerbing garment).

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »

Thanks JC I think I will call them in the am and see if I can cancel the pant liner and order the XE pants instead. I have a new 2HLl lightweight harley jacket that will be great with the jacket liner. I can understand what you mean because most of my jeans are tight.

Face

The up side of the XE vs. the liner is that the XE serves a dual purpose of rainsuit.......so you don't have to carry a rain suit or mess with trying to get it on, etc.

I wear boxer shorts or lightweight pajama bottoms under my XE pants.  Very, very comfortable and lightweight.....not all bound up like jeans, thermals, leathers, etc. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »

JC...what plug does the XE have?  Is it the round HD style or other???
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »

Thanks JC I think I will call them in the am and see if I can cancel the pant liner and order the XE pants instead. I have a new 2XL lightweight harley jacket that will be great with the jacket liner. I can understand what you mean because most of my jeans are tight.

Face
Done deal! They were very nice and happy to drop the pant liner and sell me the XE pants for $80 more!  :) I think I will like them better than trying to cram something else between me and already tight jeans. Thx again JC for the good advice!!! That's one of the great things about this site is all the great experienced people willing to share for the benefit of others..... :2vrolijk_21:

Face
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:21 PM »

Face, Big Lew and any others waiting on Gerbing gear....just and FYI......they've been closed all week due to snow.  While rain is normal, snow is unusual in that part of Wash. so it'll probably be next week before they open again.

West Coast GTG   

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »

Thx JC. I recieved my pants and gloves and a wiring harness kit. They said the dual temp. controller and jacket liner are backordered. Not like I am going to ride. Today is my 19th 12 hour day of work in a row. I have 18 more to go!!!!!!

2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »

Gerbing booth at NYC show had only  gloves, liners and socks. None of the exterior gear.

iPhone using Tapatalk
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »

JC...what plug does the XE have?  Is it the round HD style or other???

I'm not sure what HD style is.  None of my bikes have ever came with a plug.....always had to add it.

They're the small round plug/recepticle that's common with all the heated gear.  However, for ease of use, I've had the BMW style recepticles installed on mine and Terrie's bikes and Have added the BMW style male plug extension to the stock male plug.

The BMW style can be pluged in single handed, while riding, or on a dark road at night.

Duane, I wonder if that's due to their headquarters in Tumwater, Wash. being snowed in all week.  By the way, if you're going to get the heated sox, you better do it now.....I read last week on another forum that they'll no longer be offered.  Now it's the Gerbing heated insoles that they're putting out. 

I'll be ordering up a couple of pair of those for Terrie and I, as soon as they get back up on line.  I'll post a review when we get them and have tried them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:29:27 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 09:13:05 AM »

The people behind the booth were two busy moving his one glove at a time around to make sure no one walked away with 1 glove of a pair........

Never got to ask if the socks I saw were a new model, different then what I already have.

The boot soles were no where to be seen. The booth looked to be half the physical size as prior years, so the storm issue may not have come into play.

As for the insoles, anyone looking for them I highly recommend you try them in your boots. The set I got several years ago are the right "size" for me, but don't fit in my boots.

I ordered them at the show, got them after it was cold, tried to exchange them at the next bike show - no deal.

iPhone using Tapatalk

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

Had my buddy at the show check on the socks I saw the other day.

New design, $90, not available until the fall.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

The people behind the booth were two busy moving his one glove at a time around to make sure no one walked away with 1 glove of a pair........

Never got to ask if the socks I saw were a new model, different then what I already have.

The boot soles were no where to be seen. The booth looked to be half the physical size as prior years, so the storm issue may not have come into play.

As for the insoles, anyone looking for them I highly recommend you try them in your boots. The set I got several years ago are the right "size" for me, but don't fit in my boots.

I ordered them at the show, got them after it was cold, tried to exchange them at the next bike show - no deal.

iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Jeff Gerbing when I talked to him at the show in San Mateo, that attitude and policy went out the door with his ex-wife.  If it has his name on it, it has a life time warranty. 

Another member on this forum had bought the wrong size at a local retailer......took it with him to the show in San Mateo and they traded it for him on the spot. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

We got our Gerbing Heated Insoles on Thurs.  Pulled the original insoles out of our Original Swat boots and put the heated insoles in.  I wear a size 12 Orignal Swat boot and I ordered the men's XXL heated insole (what their web site reflects for a size 12 boot).  No cutting necessary and they fit perfectly......and, to my surprise, very comfortable.  I run the wire along the boot zipper, between the leather flap inside the zipper and the zipper itself.

Terrie wears a women's size 8 boot and so I ordered the size reflected on their web site for a women's 8-10 (I believe it was a Med).  The heated insole has two lines at the top of the toe that the insole can be trimmed down to.  I trimmed hers down to the second line and they fit just fine.

While I wore mine all weekend, I did not plug my Gerbing gear in this weekend.  However, Terrie did (she's cold when it's 80F!).  She reports that they worked great and comparable to the rest of the Gerbing gear.  She is just a bit flat footed so the built in arch was an adjustment for her at first but by the time we got to the bay area, she said it was fine and no longer an issue for her and that she actually liked the added arch support. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »

JC just wanted to let you know I did order some product but got it from Revzilla. Price seemed good and they had in stock. Pretty good exchange policy if you need it as well. Im not sure what I'm going to do. First I measured as the video explained and ordered the  XL tall. They were just to snug in the thights and butt. Down to my underwear just to get them on. So I sent them back and ordered the 2XL tall. They fit better but the waist is big. I can wear these over my jeans but I feel like I need something to hold them up, they are heavy. Not sure what I'm going to do. The XL's felt short waisted with nothing but underwear on. Hard to get my leg over the bike. The 2 xl's elimanated the crotch thing but they are falling off in the waist. Maybe I just need to wait until I loose some more weight.

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »

JC just wanted to let you know I did order some product but got it from Revzilla. Price seemed good and they had in stock. Pretty good exchange policy if you need it as well. Im not sure what I'm going to do. First I measured as the video explained and ordered the  XL tall. They were just to snug in the thights and butt. Down to my underwear just to get them on. So I sent them back and ordered the 2XL tall. They fit better but the waist is big. I can wear these over my jeans but I feel like I need something to hold them up, they are heavy. Not sure what I'm going to do. The XL's felt short waisted with nothing but underwear on. Hard to get my leg over the bike. The 2 xl's elimanated the crotch thing but they are falling off in the waist. Maybe I just need to wait until I loose some more weight.

BigLew

I wear the XL tall.....plenty of room in the legs, thighs and butt but for me the waist is a tad big.  I have the velcro sizers on either side cinched all the way back.  It seems the waist band itself is tight and everything else is a tad bit on the big side. 

Of course there's a big difference between you and I in size.....at 6'4" I'm 220 lbs.  Not sure what to suggest......a treadmill. :nixweiss:      :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

Hey JCZ.  Where did you mount the BMW permanent recepticle?  Is it the recepticle Gerbing shows on their website?   Also, i do have the Gerbing pants liner but it's a real pain putting on long johns, jeans, Gerbing liner and chaps.  Thinking about getting the XE pants but how well do they work since the aren't  close and snug to your skin like Gerbing recommends?
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »

Hey JCZ.  Where did you mount the BMW permanent recepticle?  Is it the recepticle Gerbing shows on their website?   Also, i do have the Gerbing pants liner but it's a real pain putting on long johns, jeans, Gerbing liner and chaps.  Thinking about getting the XE pants but how well do they work since the aren't  close and snug to your skin like Gerbing recommends?

I had the pants liners.  They were to much of a hassel.....and they wouldn't fit under my levis.  I like to keep it simple.  The Gerbing pants have worked well down to 24F. :2vrolijk_21:

Jim made a bracket out of a piece of angle iron and powder coated it.  It's mounted under the seat frame on the left side.  You can see it in the picture below.  I had two recepticles put in it......one for me and one for my passenger.  I got the recepticles at the BMW dealership and they're a stock item on some models of BMW.  However, since then, I've saw them on the net.  I think you can find everything you need here.....    http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/power-distribution/PWRDIST

West Coast GTG   

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »

JC is that a different shifter lever or stock (toe lever)? I just noticed the up kick in it and don't remember seeing that before?    FACE
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »

JC is that a different shifter lever or stock (toe lever)? I just noticed the up kick in it and don't remember seeing that before?    FACE

They're E-Z Brake shift levers.  Needed room to be able to move my size 12s around in there. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »

If JCZ is getting commission I want a cut  ;D.  Just ordered my XE Pants today.
Has anyone ever tried mounting the permanent adapter to the stock left side heat shield??  Seams firm enough to work.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »

They're E-Z Brake shift levers.  Needed room to be able to move my size 12s around in there. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks JC!

Face
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »

Has anyone ever tried mounting the permanent adapter to the stock left side heat shield??  Seams firm enough to work.

Fabbed a bracket similar to the one jc has but for one outlet. I used a old craftsmen leaf vacumm hose braket that was broke and living on my work bench. I recycled the metal!  Pics soon!!!
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »

I have had Gerging Liner, gloves and socks for a while.  Love them!!!!  I like the liner vs. jacket, as I can wear it under everything that I already own.  If you live in the N.Dallas area - ask for Bob at Maxxim in Allen - he won't discount in discussions - but takes care of you at check out!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »

If JCZ is getting commission I want a cut  ;D.  Just ordered my XE Pants today.
Has anyone ever tried mounting the permanent adapter to the stock left side heat shield??  Seams firm enough to work.
[/   quote]

I dont have a picture handy but that is wher Jim hd-dude mounted my bmw plug. Towards the top of heat shield.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:54:39 AM by JCZ »

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 07:54:24 AM »

[/   quote] I dont have a picture handy but that is wher Jim hd-dude mounted my bmw plug. Towards the top of heat shield.

Send pics. when you can.  I'm going to give it a try myself.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »

If JCZ is getting commission I want a cut  ;D.  Just ordered my XE Pants today.
Has anyone ever tried mounting the permanent adapter to the stock left side heat shield??  Seams firm enough to work.
[/   quote]

I dont have a picture handy but that is wher Jim hd-dude mounted my bmw plug. Towards the top of heat shield.

Terrie's heat shield cracked without anything hanging off of it.......what are you going to do with all that stuff when that heat shield breaks, going down the road? :nixweiss:  Get a permanent mount.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:58:03 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »

First ride with my XE pants and T5 gloves today! I rode about 50 miles. It was 47 degrees in the city I'm sure colder when I got down along the Ohio river. OK Pants are FREAKING TOASTY! Man they really get warm. figured I can heat some lunch or something while I ride! The gloves were warm but never got as warm as I thought they should. I will have to play a little more. I do have 14" bars and hands are in the wind. Now the pants have a zipper back pocket I tried to put my chain drive wallet in. Its tall and sticks out so that can't be zipped. got a couple miles from home and felt something tug at my side and looked down to see my wallet swinging in th wind! good thing its chained on! I grabbed it and sat on it till I could stop. I think it will be fine and maybe more comfortable in the right front large pocket. I have the dual temp. controller. I was supprised the pants don't have a special place for it. I can open the front pocket flap and clip it there but in rain my pocket contents may get wet? I stopped and did not turn them off. When I restarted they did not heat and I had a red light on the controller. I turned them both off and back on and bam legs cooking right away. Gloves warmed but not like the pants. So that my first experience. Pants are awesome. jury still out on the gloves. Still waiting on my backordered jacket lining! I email Gerbing several days ago and have not received and answer. I guess I will call them next week!

I have a set of Tourmaster gloves and they heat up good. They have a 3 button temp control on the right glove lo, med and hi That I really liked and is glove friendly.  I have ran in some low 40's upper 30's and never needed them above med. They are quite toasty. I bought the Gerbing T5 gloves because they say their stuff may not be compatible with other gear and plugs. I think the plugs are the same. My tourmaster gloves are large and a little tight so I got xlarge gerbings. They fit well and I thought my bsr could use my old gloves.
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

Ours is going to get a real test where we're headed this weeked.....Wawona (in Yosemite National Park) has a low forecast of 18F and one web site says that with the wind chill factor it'll feel like it's -2F. :o

We also got the Gerbing heated insole for our boots also.  I'm thinking we should be pretty comfortable. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 12:34:08 PM »

Low and behold my jacket liner showed up this morning! Gerbings ears must of been ringing. I was suprised because i never recieved any notice of shipment or tracking info. But who cares its here!!!! I am oncall but hope to get out for a ride. They say it will be in the 50's so probably won't need heated gear just some under armor and leather. Pretty bad when you wish it was colder so you can ride in your heated gear!

Jc have fun beware of ice in temps. that low and have a safe ride!!!!!

FACE
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »

I have the gerbing XE Clothing And I love thim.  :orange: I road for 2 hours at 15 degrees and the only thing that got cold was my feet. I am going to buy me some liners 4 my boots.
But you do need to try them on before you buy. The sizes do not match They're charts. I am 5' 11" 210lb I wear 35x34 Pants but I had to buy L-S Pants and XL-R Jacket.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »

Are the jacket and/or pants waterproof?

gezzerglide

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

i have a jacket liner and gloves - work perfect - but my feet freeze, legs are find at 27 and above but frozen feet i cant do anymore [10 years ago i could put up with the cold feet] anyway are the soles the way to go or socks?

my little car blew its engine to kingdom come [water pump blew taking out the belt taking out the valves and pistons] so im probably going to ride 90% more this year than last, waiting for tabs to come in the mail and then figure out how to keep my feet warm.

thanks

to

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »

Are the jacket and/or pants waterproof?

gezzerglide

I don't think it's waterproof at 25' but haven't got wet riding in the rain. ;)   See my review in the first post of this thread. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »

i have a jacket liner and gloves - work perfect - but my feet freeze, legs are find at 27 and above but frozen feet i cant do anymore [10 years ago i could put up with the cold feet] anyway are the soles the way to go or socks?
my little car blew its engine to kingdom come [water pump blew taking out the belt taking out the valves and pistons] so im probably going to ride 90% more this year than last, waiting for tabs to come in the mail and then figure out how to keep my feet warm.

thanks

to

We already had the Sokz......  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=69591.0

However, we weren't taking any chances.....we bought the Gerbing heated insoles also.  Riding last weekend at about 30F our feet didn't even get a little bit cold.  We were totally comfortable! :2vrolijk_21:  Money well spent. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »

anyway are the soles the way to go or socks?

I think it depends on your personal preference.  I have friends with the insoles, and plenty on the board here have them and like them.  I tried on both the socks, and insoles into the boots that I normally ride with.  I didn't have much additional room in my insole area, and the inserts didn't feel as comforatble to me. 

I went with the gerbing socks.  I wear them over a light pair of long tube socks, so I don't have to worry about washing them day to day on a longer ride. 

If you have a dealer in your area, it's worth spending some time and trying both.  They should have the demo plug ins, so you can actually feel how they heat differently.  Both are going to keep your feet plenty toasty - it's whatever your more comfortable with.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

I think it depends on your personal preference.  I have friends with the insoles, and plenty on the board here have them and like them.  I tried on both the socks, and insoles into the boots that I normally ride with.  I didn't have much additional room in my insole area, and the inserts didn't feel as comforatble to me. 

I went with the gerbing socks.  I wear them over a light pair of long tube socks, so I don't have to worry about washing them day to day on a longer ride. 

If you have a dealer in your area, it's worth spending some time and trying both.  They should have the demo plug ins, so you can actually feel how they heat differently.  Both are going to keep your feet plenty toasty - it's whatever your more comfortable with.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  You're supposed to remove your original insole first.  With micro wire, if you have room for thick socks, you have room for the insoles.  The up side of the insoles is that you don't have to hand wash them each night in the hotel room sink like you do with the Gerbing heated socks.  By the way, I don't believe they make the Gerbing socks anymore.......they went out with twice pipes and fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror. ;D

West Coast GTG   

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »

Had a birthday last week and Deedee gave me a new set of Gerbing Heated gloves to go with the vest.  It's not a complete suit, but should do the trick for those cool rides in the Sierras. 

I've actually found the heated grips somewhat limited, not being able to adequately penetrate the thick insulation of a winter glove.  They do work well with a thinner glove, for those times where one might get caught in a sudden temp change.  But otherwise, I'll use the Gerbings when the temps drop below 45 degrees. 

I will try the insoles next... :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  You're supposed to remove your original insole first. 
By the way, I don't believe they make the Gerbing socks anymore.......they went out with twice pipes and fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror. ;D

I know that - they were thicker than my present insoles - didn't like them - love my fuzzy dice - and they haven't stopped making them.

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »

here's where i mounted it. Works great

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »

Works great!!!  Thanks
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

Gerbing Wireless Controller?
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »

I just spoke with Gerbing this AM and the lady I spoke with in customer service didn't know anything about a wireless controller being released in Sept.  Does anyone have any info. on this?  If not, I'm going to get a Powerlet wireless controller for this fall.    http://www.powerlet.com/product/dual-wireless-temperature-controller/471

Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Gerbing Wireless Controller?
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »

Own the powerlet wireless controller. Works great with Gerbing gear.

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »

Own the powerlet wireless controller. Works great with Gerbing gear.
Thanks, just purchased one
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

I talked with Jeff Gerbing (owner), face to face at the International Motorcycle Show last fall.  He told me that he was coming out with a four channel wireless controller and expected it to be out about Sept. but like any new product, it could be set back in production.

You might want to call Gerbing back and ask to speak to Jeff.....ask him directly what the status is on his 4 channel wireless controller. :nixweiss:

I did ask him if it was confidential or if I could share that info publically.  He said it wasn't confidential although none of his sales network knew about it yet.....that many of his employees didn't even know yet.  So.... :nervous:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:59:13 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

I talked with Jeff Gerbing (owner), face to face at the International Motorcycle Show last fall.  He told me that he was coming out with a four channel wireless controller and expected it to be out about Sept. but like any new product, it could be set back in production.

You might want to call Gerbing back and ask to speak to Jeff.....ask him directly what the status is on his 4 channel wireless controller. :nixweiss:

I did ask him if it was confidential or if I could share that info publically.  He said it wasn't confidential although none of his sales network knew about it yet.....that many of his employees didn't even know yet.  So.... :nervous:

Sweet!

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »

I'm going to order the Gerbing system before it gets too much colder.  I'm hoping I get the right size ordered the first time.  I'm getting the Extreme XL Jacket and Pants, the C3 gloves and the Foot Liners.  For those of you that have them, how did the items fit according to the size and measurements that you turned in on your initial order?  Does the parka run big, small or fits just right?  Same way with the other items, big, small or just right?

From reading the threads on here, I believe that I will order the Powerlit wireless controller.

Thanks,

Ryan
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »

When will the wireless be available?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

Just went for 600 mile leaf peeping ride thru WI MN And IA. 35 degrees in the AM but with Gerbings Extreme XE pants It was like being in a warm bed the whole trip. Plus they are very comfortable   Well worth the money Could of sold for double with the other guys rideing with us.    Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »

We wore ours in temps at 16F and we were warm....actually had to turn it down a bit (scroll to the third photo down... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72870.msg1004232#msg1004232 ) and we've stayed totally dry even in down pouring rain and snow. :2vrolijk_21:

It's going to be cold...real cold out there soon. :nervous:   There's a set of Gerbing eXtreme Element XE pants, jacket and dual controller for sale right now.  It was my wife's however there isn't a male and female set...it's all the same if it fits you....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=77726.0

West Coast GTG   

dave726

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE5 Anniv #61/900
    • CVO2: '05 FLHRCI 95ci, 92hp, 102'#
    • CVO3: '00 FLHRCUI 95ci
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »

This year I rode from Key West to Seattle. I had to pack for 100° and 30°, rain and shine. Can I use the Gerbing XE Jacket and Pants when it's 90° and raining?
No regrets, no maybe’s, live for today.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:06 AM »

This year I rode from Key West to Seattle. I had to pack for 100° and 30°, rain and shine. Can I use the Gerbing XE Jacket and Pants when it's 90° and raining?

The pants legs have a velcro cuff that keeps them tight around the ankle while you can unzip the legs.  I often unzipped the legs of mine up to my knees when it would get warm out. 

However, I don't think I ever wore them at 90F I do think I wore them at 80F.....maybe even 85.  I just wore a t-shirt and boxers or pajama bottoms under them so when you loosen the cuffs and unzip the legs you cool down pretty well.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »

The Gerbing eXtreme Element XE heated gear is still one of the best purchases I've made since the 70s.

There's been a lot of rumors about the company and I'm certainly not going to say which are true and which are just rumors however, I did find this post on another forum.  I am reposting it here in hopes that it clears up some of the confusion for members of this forum.  This post is from April 1, 2015....

Hello! I wanted to jump on this thread as there seems to be a little confusion on who Gerbing LLC is as a company. As some of you might know, my name is Michael Tex Mawby, and I am the President of Gerbing Motorsports (a division of Gerbing LLC).

Gerbing's Heated Clothing Inc (GHCI)....as started by Gordon Gerbing in 1976 went bankrupt in 2012 under the stewardship of Jeff Gerbing (Former CEO), who is one of Gordon's sons. The people I worked for purchased certain assets of GHCI during the bankruptcy proceedings. Why were we interested in the Gerbing brand? Well part of our ownership is McCarthy Capital. McCarthy owns Cabela's.....and GHCI had been private labeling manufacturing all of Cabela's heated gear for sometime. So when the folks at Cabela's were notified that GHCI had filed for bankruptcy protection, they knew that all the heated products they expected to be delivered to their stores that Fall were never going to be delivered....so they made a play for certain assets of GHCI.

Gerbing LLC did move all operations to North Carolina. It only made sense since Jeff Gerbing leased an 80,000 sqft Manufacturing Plant there in 2011 while he still owned the company. However, after the bankruptcy, it didn't make sense to us to have a plant on the East Coast and Administrative offices and a warehouse on the West Coast. We wanted everything to be under one roof, and in one state. If Jeff would have had a plant in Washington State I'm sure we would all be working from out there now instead of in North Carolina.

I also made the decision to close our retail store in Olympia, as it wasn't profitable to operate it without the Administrative offices to cover the overhead. I decided after two years of running it at a loss to shut it down. We have a number of fine retailers in the Olympia and Seattle area that stock our products if you want to still shop locally for Gerbing products. All repairs are now handled only at our Stoneville, NC plant.

Gordon's Heated Clothing is a company started by Jeff's other siblings. Some of them told me personally at Americade 2014 it was because they felt like they didn't get what was rightfully theirs (inheritance) from Jeff. What is confusing to me is why I have read in a post here and also on the Gordon's Heated website that Gordon almost lost his company due to health reasons. That simply isn't true. Gordon sold his company to his son Jeff....and years later, Jeff bankrupted the company and had to close the doors for good.

So the former company, GHCI offered a lifetime warranty on their heated pads. We also offer that same warranty not only on our products, but also on the products that Jeff and Gordon sold some of you many years ago before we purchased certain assets from GHCI. Anything that isn't a Microwire pad and that is out of warranty, we still fix it for our cost, meaning the cost of the component we are replacing plus the labor. Shipping has always been and still is the responsibility of the consumer.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion and dispel the inaccurate rumors that are on the internet forums.

I am available to any of you here via email. I can be reached at: michael.mawby@gerbing.com

We have a vibrant redesigned brand filled powered by the best heating technology on the market. There are a slew of new products we have in store for you all....launching August 2015. I am excited for you all to see them as we here at Gerbing have been working very hard and are very proud of our accomplishments.

Wishing you all a safe and happy riding season.

Rubber side down!

Cheers,

Michael Tex Mawby
 President, Gerbing Motorsports
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:40:42 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »

JC,
It's great to see the products we've purchased are going to be supported. Thanks!

"Those who surrender Freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve either" Benjamin Franklin
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

"So the former company, GHCI offered a lifetime warranty on their heated pads. We also offer that same warranty not only on our products, but also on the products that Jeff and Gordon sold some of you many years ago before we purchased certain assets from GHCI. Anything that isn't a Microwire pad and that is out of warranty, we still fix it for our cost, meaning the cost of the component we are replacing plus the labor. Shipping has always been and still is the responsibility of the consumer."
Unfortunately that's a misnomer.  Components, tears, etc were always repaired at no charge before, no matter the age, and the new owners are now charging for parts and labor for the older non microwire units.  Which is probably fair, just not the same lifetime warranty as Mawbe states above

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »

Update:  My eXtreme element pants and boot insoles were no longer heating and the controller for pants had a fast flashing red.  I sent an email to Michael Tex Mawby.  Not being sure if it was the insoles, the pants or the connection in my jacket, I just sent everything in.

Come to find out.....the insoles had a short in them.  Everything else tested fine.  I got everything back today, including a new pair of insoles.  No charge.

I did learn that they no longer use the name Gerbing.  It's now Gyde Supply......   http://gydesupply.com/

West Coast GTG   

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »

That's great JC. I see they have updated and new products as well.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »

In less than 24 hours I have to say it's probably some of the best riding gear I've ever bought. Some of the specs:

»   Rugged 330-denier Cordura
»   Ballistic-grade Cordura in the shoulders and elbows
»   Polyurethane coating, heat-sealed seams and waterproof zippered pockets
»   Reflective piping plus full reflective back panel and on chest pockets
»   Additional pockets below the belt line add to your storage capacity
»   Zippered hand-warmer pockets are standard
»   CE-rated removable Knox armor in the shoulders, elbows and spine

My observations and experience after a short 75 mile day ride this morning.....compared to leathers, much lighter weight yet warmer and dryer.  It has a waist belt that loops back at the front opening, to either side and secures with velcro type hook and loop fasterners.  The cuffs at the wrist as well as at the ankles have large velcro type bands to cinch up the cuffs to the riders comfort.

This outfit is designed to wear a light undergarment but not jeans (although some wear jeans under them).  Wanting to test it in the mode it was designed for, I wore thin sweat pants and a t-shirt to experience it's full effect.

Using our existing dual controller, I have to say it was very, very comfortable.  We started out at about 38F and it was 45F when we returned.  We were very comfortable the full extent of our ride.  The waist belt on the jacket provided us a place to hook the dual controller and so that wasn't an issue and provided us the opportunity to control the pants and jacket/gloves seperately.

The icing on the cake for this outfit is that it serves the dual purpose of a rain suit!  So while you're staying warm, you're also staying dry.  Chuck rode from San Mateo to our home here in Elk Grove in the rain last night.  He was totally dry and the outfit appeared to be dry and had very little water on it.  The water seems to bead up and run right off.....it sheds water very, very well!

I would recommend this outfit to anybody that rides year around or has to ride in the cold temps or the rain.  A perfect outfit for those that commute on their bike year around (Ernie, Magoo, etc.).

I had opportunity to talk with Jeff Gerbing at length.  I asked Jeff if he had any plans for a wireless temp. controller.  He said that there is, in fact, a remote controller in the works and will be available for release in Sept. 2012.  It is not like the competitors.  This controller is a four channel controller.  You'll be able to control different temp. levels on four different items (jacket, gloves, pants, boot insoles) at the same time.  And each channel will have a memory.  So if you set the jacket at 72F and the gloves at 76F, etc. the controller will remember that.  Sounds pretty interesting and of course, he was very excited about it just describing it to us.

Also, In the past, if you bought your Gerbing gear from a retailer and not directly from Gerbing, you had to have a receipt in order to get warranty work done on the item.  That's no longer the case.  Jeff learned about that and put a stop to it.  If his name is on it, it has a lifetime warranty......no receipt necessary regardless of who you bought it from!

I have been riding with this Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants for a little over eight years.  Every winter and in some single digit temps and a couple of times riding across this country where it never got above freezing temps all day long.  I'm here to say it has served me well!

I have the heated boot insoles and of course the heated gloves as well and I wear a modular helmet so I can ride in below freezing temps in comfort.  Last winter the plug on my left arm that my golve plugs in to broke off. 

I finally sent it to Gerbing to be repaired.  They replaced both plugs (they got brittle) for $7.50 plus shipping......a total of $36.58 and I'm a happy camper again!  If you ride in the cold you might want to consider Gerbing eXtreme Element so that you can ride in comfort.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 24 queries.