Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chrome engine covers & accents?  (Read 1271 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
chrome engine covers & accents?
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

Hi,

on my previous bikes, i used to dress up the engine with chrome covers.  however this time around i have a much larger investment and i don't want to do anything to the bike that will have a negative effect on the longevity of the engine.  I know these things trap HEAT, and adding anything that would cause heat build up is not a good idea?  i have asked the question "why would they sell the chit if it traps heat and its not good for the engine" dumb fricking question.....becasue its all about making money?  I would like to know if anyone else has an opinion here?  I had the Kuryakyn complete trans cover kit for my old bike with true duals.  it looked great, but that engine always ran hot?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: chrome engine covers & accents?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »

Hi,

on my previous bikes, i used to dress up the engine with chrome covers.  however this time around i have a much larger investment and i don't want to do anything to the bike that will have a negative effect on the longevity of the engine.  I know these things trap HEAT, and adding anything that would cause heat build up is not a good idea?  i have asked the question "why would they sell the chit if it traps heat and its not good for the engine" dumb fricking question.....becasue its all about making money?  I would like to know if anyone else has an opinion here?  I had the Kuryakyn complete trans cover kit for my old bike with true duals.  it looked great, but that engine always ran hot?

I agree with your suggestion that chrome engine and tranny covers trap heat.  Myself....I'd not install them...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultraroad

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »

Hi I tried to buy chrome for my 2011 110 and as yet Harley has next to nothing available for the CVO model, does any one know of an after market source . When you trade in your bike it seems you get very little extra for the chrome if its Harley or aftermarket Thanks.

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »

It did add value for my 08 FLHR when I traded it in...I got $17K for an otherwise stock bike with only stage 1 mods and the RK had 37.5K miles on her. I do agree that it definitely traps heat as she always ran warmer than normal, but never too hot. Six of one, half dozen of another...as always...your bike, your choice.
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »

go to kuryakyn.com they have plenty of chrome engine accessories.  They are actually much heavier and better quality than the HD stuff, plus they offer a kit for true dual exhaust or an option different from the current cross-over system.  Remember, heavier better quality means it will trap heat better too?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »

I agree with your suggestion that chrome engine and tranny covers trap heat.  Myself....I'd not install them...

I agree here...but it is your choice...I just do not like covers

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.