Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How is the seat on the '12 FLHXSE3?  (Read 2948 times)

2010 FLHX

Re: How is the seat on the '12 FLHXSE3?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »

:worthless:

I can only go with what I know about the 2010 and 2011 FLHX seats. Mine is fine for a rider. The pillion looks like a poorly planned "streamline" design with no consideration for a passenger. I've never had a passenger on the pillion, but it looks entirely inadequate.

I did some 700, 500, 300 mile days, back to back w/ the stock seat. I'm 63, 220 lbs, BMI puts me on the edge of "overweight" and "obese." I could stand to lose some lard in the butt. I've had sciatica in the rt. hip since I was about 14 yrs old. This stock seat served me adequately, but could have been wider for support. My rt. hip and leg would get a bit numb if I wasn't moving it around (floor board to hwy peg, adjust backrest).

The stock seat is 16" wide. I looked at Mustang, Russell, Mayer, Corbin. They all seem to come in at about 17.5" width. And so I've been getting some strong personal endorsements for the H-D Road Zeppelin. It's 20" wide, air adjustable in two areas for the rider, another adjust for the passenger pillion. It fits w/ standard H-D backrests and the passenger grab rails. I have both and want to keep them.

The criticism/objection that the Road Zep is "fat, wide, looks like a floatation device" doesn't phase me. Fat, wide and pneumatic is what I'm looking for in a long-distance road touring saddle.

Unheated the Road Zep runs $729.95 MSRP. Pretty much "plug & play" on wiring. The pump plugs into the accessory socket under the seat, above the battery. Slides into the tongue groove in front, single screw secures the rear.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »

:worthless:

I can only go with what I know about the 2010 and 2011 FLHX seats. Mine is fine for a rider. The pillion looks like a poorly planned "streamline" design with no consideration for a passenger. I've never had a passenger on the pillion, but it looks entirely inadequate.

I did some 700, 500, 300 mile days, back to back w/ the stock seat. I'm 63, 220 lbs, BMI puts me on the edge of "overweight" and "obese." I could stand to lose some lard in the butt. I've had sciatica in the rt. hip since I was about 14 yrs old. This stock seat served me adequately, but could have been wider for support. My rt. hip and leg would get a bit numb if I wasn't moving it around (floor board to hwy peg, adjust backrest).

The stock seat is 16" wide. I looked at Mustang, Russell, Mayer, Corbin. They all seem to come in at about 17.5" width. And so I've been getting some strong personal endorsements for the H-D Road Zeppelin. It's 20" wide, air adjustable in two areas for the rider, another adjust for the passenger pillion. It fits w/ standard H-D backrests and the passenger grab rails. I have both and want to keep them.

The criticism/objection that the Road Zep is "fat, wide, looks like a floatation device" doesn't phase me. Fat, wide and pneumatic is what I'm looking for in a long-distance road touring saddle.

Unheated the Road Zep runs $729.95 MSRP. Pretty much "plug & play" on wiring. The pump plugs into the accessory socket under the seat, above the battery. Slides into the tongue groove in front, single screw secures the rear.

I appreciate the opinion, however I was asking about the 2012 seat...I have already owned both a '10 and '11 SESG so I know about those seats. It's between the stock solo '12 SESG seat and the Corbin classic solo.  Not looking for a 2 up seat--want this one to be solo and I will add the passenger pad when I need to. My other half rides her own, so she is never on the back of mine for any substantial distance.

2010 FLHX

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »

Yeah, OK . . . and so what about posting a photo of this model? I suppose I could do an online search, but for right this second I'm out in the boonies on dial-up. Usually the connection "times out" when I try to link to a site with a photo.

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »

Thinking about a new seat and wondering how good the solo seat is on the '12 SESG3. Anybody do any good trips with it yet???

There's minimal padding in the stock seat which does two things:
Sits you LOW behind the fairing  = good
After 50 miles, you sit ON the frame = bad

I made a 300 mile trip with it, and when I got back home, I put a sundowner seat on it.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 12:41:14 PM »

There's minimal padding in the stock seat which does two things:
Sits you LOW behind the fairing  = good
After 50 miles, you sit ON the frame = bad

I made a 300 mile trip with it, and when I got back home, I put a sundowner seat on it.

I think you need to take that seat back to the dealer and have it replaced.  I've put over 250 miles in one sitting on my SESG3, weigh over 3 bucks, and even after 250+ miles, I never was sitting on the frame!.  In fact the seat didn't feel any different after 250+ miles as it did when I first took off for the day.  Methinks you had a defective seat.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »

Yeah, OK . . . and so what about posting a photo of this model? I suppose I could do an online search, but for right this second I'm out in the boonies on dial-up. Usually the connection "times out" when I try to link to a site with a photo.

Sorry I didn't post a pic...but the question was directed at owners of the 2012 SESG who have used the seat. Didn't feel the need to post a pic since they all know what the seat looks like.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 24 queries.