Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Not so good news from Moco  (Read 3819 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Not so good news from Moco
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »

One of a series of cuts.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »

Well its sad, but Harley needs to down size.  Management is way to bike for their significantly decreased bike sales.  Production capacity and people are also way to bike.  Cuts are needed to quit hemorrhaging money.  They need to get small enough that they do not have much if any excess production capacity.  They have to realize bike sales are going to be much less for the foreseeable future and plan for that. 

Really need to focus on a Quality product, above their competitors. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

mark

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:20:44 AM »

Every time there’s bad news for HD, they issue some statement that’s been “word-smithed“ to death.  Never does HD ever mention anything about listening to customers, better quality, etc.  Does anyone know what this actually means:

“The Rewire is progressing very well and substantial work is being done to eliminate complexity and get Harley-Davidson on a path to winning,” Zeitz  said in Thursday's news release.

“Our new operating model is simpler, more focused and enables faster decisions across the entire company. We’ve taken a hard look at our entire setup, our spending, and how work is getting done, to align our operating model, structure and processes. We are building a strong foundation to drive a high-performance organization in the future.”

Changes to the company’s operating model include all areas of the business globally, from commercial operations to corporate functions...

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »

Translation: we have too much overhead for our current and foreseeable future revenue.

Agreed, you can't cost cut your way out of this debacle.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »

Sad, that as the ship is slipping under the waves all they can do is blame the Boomer's & Young people for their problems instead of the fact that their 40K plus bikes need better brakes, suspension, infotainment, oiling, power & overall quality!  Build a bike might work with a 20k bike but not so well with bikes hitting 50k and need rotors every 6k or 3k extra for a decent suppression!  A bridge to far....
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Glenncarp

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:41:25 PM »

Sad, that as the ship is slipping under the waves all they can do is blame the Boomer's & Young people for their problems instead of the fact that their 40K plus bikes need better brakes, suspension, infotainment, oiling, power & overall quality!  Build a bike might work with a 20k bike but not so well with bikes hitting 50k and need rotors every 6k or 3k extra for a decent suppression!  A bridge to far....

Yeah,
Hate to say this on a  form dedicated to CVO's, but after buy 2 brand new ones, 2011 and 2016, I went to a non-CVO. I bought the Road Glide Special which has the M8 114CU engine. I have to say, this is the best HD I have owned.

The dealer had installed a race tuner and Rinehard 6" slip ons. To get the things I wanted that are on a CVO I added heated grips and an aftermarket Amp and  speakers. I put Progressive 412 shocks in the back. I added an air cleaner bought on Amazon, $115 rather than $450 from HD. Bike cost $27,000, I added another $875+/- to bike. I am planning on adding a the full exhaust and that and re-tuning will be about $1,000.00. So, for $28,900 or so I am happy as a pig in sh*&$ not spending $50K and a bike that is close to what I had in my CVO's. I do not want to hear about resale value, that is a myth that CVO's get more value at trade in, it all depends on the dealer motivation and your negotiating skills. 

I still am bleeding like all of you with crappy GTS issues and HD failure to address issues that owners bring to their attention, but I am less disappointed at $28,900 that I would be at $50,000!!! Lol
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:47:11 PM by Glenncarp »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »

To each his own Glenn. Personally if I can't ride a CVO I won't ride. But if your happy that is all that matters!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:13:24 AM »

To each his own Glenn. Personally if I can't ride a CVO I won't ride. But if your happy that is all that matters!
Personally felt just like this Don.  I'm on my 7th CVO since 2009.

My 19 CVO is really causing my to rethink this.  Its a 42K piece of shoddy workmanship and chitty quality. 

I'm on the 4th set of front brake rotors that have wrapped.  The ones on bike are now pulsing again, probable 2500 more miles and out of speck again, so five sets of rotor is 34000 mile.   No excuse for that.
Items replaced for failure or poor quality:
1.  Front fork legs, paint falling off, badly pitted 12K miles
2.  Seat, very worn, frayed replaced at 13K mikes, needs replacing again.  Seat on my 13 CVO still looks ne with 4 times more miles.
3.  Speedometer
4.  Left hand control set
5.  Left Saddle bag lid, paint issues
6.  Heal shifter, paint all came off.
7.  Right saddle bag speaker
8.  Left Saddle bag speaker
9.  Gas Cap trim ring
10.  On 4th set of rotors and counting.  Sad when rotors last half as long as tires or less, yes front rim replaced to see if it was cause.

All this quality for 42K.  Still arguing about flaws it tank paint, noticeable runs under clear coat.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

mark

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »

As I’ve gotten older, riding has become less about what I’m riding, but the actual ride, the enjoyment, the camaraderie, the bike trips, etc.  When we’re all sitting around at the nursing home opining about our riding days, I bet we reflect back on the good times, the memories, and probably not what we were riding.  JM2C.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

The article mentions tariffs have hurt H-D. That is their own fault. Just as stated above, H-D can't cost-cut their way out of this. Add to that YOU CAN'T OUT SOURCE YOU WAY OUT EITHER. When China becomes your biggest supplier you are doomed. You reap what you sow.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 03:53:19 PM »

As I’ve gotten older, riding has become less about what I’m riding, but the actual ride, the enjoyment, the camaraderie, the bike trips, etc. 

On point!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »

The article mentions tariffs have hurt H-D. That is their own fault. Just as stated above, H-D can't cost-cut their way out of this. Add to that YOU CAN'T OUT SOURCE YOU WAY OUT EITHER. When China becomes your biggest supplier you are doomed. You reap what you sow.

So they do the next best thing. They buy the cheapest quality parts, assemble it together poorly, and sell it for more than most anyone can afford.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »

I agree with CVODON....Gotta have that special paint that sets my bike apart from the others along with the chrome. Too many look a likes at bike nights. Black or denim paint jobs are every where..That is what is nice about all the different types and paint. To each his own....As long as your happy and as long as it is HD!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 03:10:15 PM »

I agree with CVODON....Gotta have that special paint that sets my bike apart from the others along with the chrome. Too many look a likes at bike nights. Black or denim paint jobs are every where..That is what is nice about all the different types and paint. To each his own....As long as your happy and as long as it is HD!

Thing is that the "special" CVO paint jobs haven't looked all that special the last few model years..... and the approximate 20K price difference between a "base" HD and the CVO will buy you a truly special one of one paint job of your choosing - likely with a few bucks left to add some other accessories of your choice also. Don't get me wrong I Love my current CVO - but as far as spending that much of my hard earned cash on another one?? It's not likely to happen
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.