Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh boy! The electric HD is closer to becoming reality  (Read 1133 times)

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
Oh boy! The electric HD is closer to becoming reality
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:44:42 AM »

I know everyone has been excited about getting an electric HD!

https://exhaust.racerxonline.com/2018/03/01/harley-davidson-invests-in-alta-motors

Earlier this year, amid slumping sales, Harley-Davidson announced it was bringing an electric model to market within 18 months. The announcement came four years after Harley unveiled its LiveWire project, an all-electric prototype.

Well, huge news dropped today as H-D announced that it has made an equity investment in California-based electric motorcycling manufacture Alta Motors.

"Earlier this year, as part of our 10-year strategy, we reiterated our commitment to build the next generation of Harley-Davidson riders, in part, by aggressively investing in electric vehicle (EV) technology," Harley-Davidson president and CEO Matt Levatich said. "Alta has demonstrated innovation and expertise in EV and their objectives align closely with ours. We each have strengths and capabilities that will be mutually beneficial as we work together to develop cutting-edge electric motorcycles."

It’s been a busy few months for Alta, as they announced the launch of a new model—the Redshift MXR—and a significant price reduction across all models.

For Harley, which is set to release an electric model in 2019, the move makes sense, as they’ll have access to cutting-edge electric vehicle (EV) technology, and a partner to help them navigate the coming shift to electric. For Alta, they will get access to a worldwide dealer network and a lot more.

"Riders are just beginning to understand the combined benefits of EV today, and our technology continues to progress," Alta Motors chief product officer and co-founder Marc Fenigstein said. "We believe electric motorcycles are the future, and that American companies have an opportunity to lead that future. It's incredibly exciting that Harley-Davidson, synonymous with motorcycle leadership, shares that vision and we're thrilled to collaborate with them."

This is huge news for the two American brands. It will be interesting to see what they develop.

ultrarider123

Re: Oh boy! The electric HD is closer to becoming reality
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »

Maybe bringing in outside expertise will make the bike more reliable.  Or, HD will continue the trend of cost cutting and cheeping their bike to make them more profitable.  Either way, it will be interesting.  It is their market and chance to ether standout or lose.
 :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »

I would ride one back and forth to work. My commute is only 5 miles one way and my breakout does not even reach temp. I would ride the hell out of that thing going to work.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »

I would try one..
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:50:06 PM »

An opportunity for power companies across the USA to sell "Screamin' Eagle" brand electricity for the higher performance SE electric bikes that will require high performance electricity.

;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.