Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Had it 3 months and it needs bodywork.  (Read 4504 times)

SaintPaul

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

Had it 3 months and it needs bodywork.
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »

Had my 2015 CVO Street Glide parked on the street.  Came home from work and someone hit it.  Found it on it's side. So is the dealership the only ones able to repair the paint?
Front fender is bent.  Bags are scratched up.  Highway bars scuffed.  Attitude tweaked.  Nothing to be done about it now but get it fixed. :soapbox:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Had it 3 months and it needs bodywork.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »

Had my 2015 CVO Street Glide parked on the street.  Came home from work and someone hit it.  Found it on it's side. So is the dealership the only ones able to repair the paint?
Front fender is bent.  Bags are scratched up.  Highway bars scuffed.  Attitude tweaked.  Nothing to be done about it now but get it fixed. :soapbox:

Site member Xtreme Dimension (Joe) is a painter who has nothing but stellar reviews by many site members...   :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=22985

joe@xtremedimension.com
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »

Dealers don't repair the CVO paint, they just order new parts with the CVO paint on them.  Pretty expensive solution if you plan to pay out-of-pocket and not involve your insurance.  Xtreme Dimension, as mentioned in the previous post, can repaint CVO parts and has many glowing reviews around here.  The trick is that you would have to ship the parts to him so you'd be without bags and a fender for however long it takes.

Jerry

MSRP for new parts:

Front Fender  -  $850
Rear Fender   -  $837
Bag Bottoms  - $1050 each
Bag Lids        -   $515 each
Engine Guard -   $215

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TXCobra

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »

That really sucks!  Best of luck getting it fixed and back on the road soon!
2015 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »

Had the same thing happen to my Sporty back in '06......it was in a parking spot at the mall (NO cycle parking and they were ticketing and towing for not being in a designated parking spot). Luckily all that was damaged was a grip end and a foot-peg. I'm pretty sure they snagged a highway peg while backing out and tossed it over on the high side. No note...no witnesses....no cameras.

Hope you're back on the road soon!

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »

And the CVO replacement parts are not cheap and come I very quickly.  Sorry people are not more careful, obviously it was a hit and run??

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »

Site member Xtreme Dimension (Joe) is a painter who has nothing but stellar reviews by many site members...   :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=22985

joe@xtremedimension.com
Joe has done some amazing work for me! I would also think he would save you some money not to mention no one can match CVO paint like he can.
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 11:32:11 PM »

Dealers don't repair paint and none of the insurance companies (ex maybe Progressive) repair paint either. Parts are ordered and replaced. Simple deal, not sure why you would want them painted anyway. Painters are a honery bunch, I know, had them work for me. Most insurance companies write there own estimates on site now and leave you a copy so you take it in and have them order what you need.
By the time you freight and crate the parts you describe, have the body work done to repair the damage prior to paint, then they ship them back to you... buy new stuff.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »

Dealers don't repair paint and none of the insurance companies (ex maybe Progressive) repair paint either. Parts are ordered and replaced. Simple deal, not sure why you would want them painted anyway. Painters are a honery bunch, I know, had them work for me. Most insurance companies write there own estimates on site now and leave you a copy so you take it in and have them order what you need.
By the time you freight and crate the parts you describe, have the body work done to repair the damage prior to paint, then they ship them back to you... buy new stuff.

Yes, but the OP hasn't indicated if he plans to turn this in to his insurance or not.  If yes, then I agree the best course of action is to let the insurance company buy him new parts (less the deductible of course).  No downtime except for the small amount of time to actually replace the parts once they're received.  However, if he for whatever reason doesn't want to turn this in to his insurance, then perhaps the best approach is to wait for the end of the riding season (which won't be much longer where he lives) and send the parts to an excellent painter.

The reason I posted the retail prices of the parts earlier was to assist him in making his decision about insurance versus out-of-pocket.  If he carries a typical $500 or $1000 deductible, he may have been thinking it would be cheaper to just have the paint repaired without turning it in to insurance. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SaintPaul

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »

I am sorting that out.  Might turn it in to insurance or I might have them repainted.  Nice to know my options before making a decision.  Leaning toward turning it in and having the new bike restored back to new.  On the other hand, now that it is smacked up, it may be time for engine upgrades too.  I seem to be unable to leave things well enough alone.  The bike has adequate torque now, I just seem to have to go over the top on things like this.  It is my tourer so the upgrades will have to be tempered by the sure knowledge the engine tweaks are rock solid dependable and I keep some semblance of a reliable idle.  I might as well face it:  I may never be done with the damn thing.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »

I think Joe is pretty busy, sort of like a one armed paper hanger.  His quality is impeccable so people flock to him.  If you want Joe and I would, better contact him and get in line so he can work it in.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »

You left your 2015 CVO SG parked in the street while you were at work?  :o Sorry to hear about the damage, hopefully it's a relatively quick turnaround to get it back together.

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »

I am sorting that out.  Might turn it in to insurance or I might have them repainted.  Nice to know my options before making a decision.  Leaning toward turning it in and having the new bike restored back to new.  On the other hand, now that it is smacked up, it may be time for engine upgrades too.  I seem to be unable to leave things well enough alone.  The bike has adequate torque now, I just seem to have to go over the top on things like this.  It is my tourer so the upgrades will have to be tempered by the sure knowledge the engine tweaks are rock solid dependable and I keep some semblance of a reliable idle.  I might as well face it:  I may never be done with the damn thing.

Sorry to hear about your Woo's..     Well if you're like me, you're right you will never leave it alone.  With that you can easily do some minor engine mods to greatly improve the performance and certainly maintain the reliability/dependability.. I took mine to Fuel Moto and Jamie and the gang hooked me up by doing mild head work (shaved and mild porting) TW 777 cams, eSeries slip-ons, FM header and PV-2 which were already installed and the bike idles real nice and the HP & TQ have a great curve producing 113/129..  These guys rock.. Just a suggestion with the bike smacked up a bit.

'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 22 queries.