Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 FLHXSE3: JUST DIES: NEED ADVISE  (Read 2222 times)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
2012 FLHXSE3: JUST DIES: NEED ADVISE
« on: October 14, 2023, 12:22:11 PM »

This has never happened, before a couple of months ago.  Riding down the road running great, the bike will just die.  It doesn't sputter or cough, it just dies.  The electrical power doesn't go out, all the bells and whistles are still functioning. I pull over, wait a minute or two, and restarts just fine.  If I try to restart immediately, it won't.  Sometimes I can go a month without this happening and sometimes the next day.  Yesterday, it happened twice.

I've never changed the in tank fuel filter in a little over 30k miles, so that's the first thing I'll try.

If it's not the fuel filter, then it has to be something shutting off the fuel supply.

I don't think it's the fuel pump, do to the fact that it restarts by only waiting a minute.

I put on a Thundermax Tuner, but hell, that was about a year and a half ago.  So, that's a maybe, but I doubt it.

Any other thoughts or ideas that I'm missing?

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: 2012 FLHXSE3: JUST DIES: NEED ADVISE
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 09:46:50 AM »

Any codes come up? Sounds like something other than fuel related from your description of problem.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 11:02:52 AM »

Check and clean the plug on the throttle body.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 12:53:00 PM »

Fuel filter would likely cause some sputtering as it starved for fuel.  While could be many things any time I experience a sudden shut off that after a bit of cool down restarts and all too often doesn't throw a code I go first to the crank position sensor. 

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 07:20:38 AM »

i would plug in your old ecm thunder max says carry it all times

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 03:44:36 PM »

Update:

Replaced fuel filter, replaced air filter and charged battery.  Also tested battery, it's good.  No luck, still has a problem.

So, I took it into Buddy Stubbs Harley.  They said that they would only charge me 1 hr. diagnostic fee and got billed for 3 hrs.  They changed plugs, checked battery, checked fuel pressure (all good).  They replaced two relays, drove it and said they had it fixed.  I drove it thirty minutes home and ran fine.  Got it out a couple of weeks ago, died twice in the first 15 minutes, then ran fine for the next hour.  Got it back out yesterday, headed over to Wild Horse West for a burger and beer.  Died on me 9 times on the way over.  Pull the clutch, let it die, wait a few seconds, release the clutch and it fires right back off.  If I don't wait a few seconds, it will not.  After the burger and beer, I was expecting the same trouble on the way home, nope, ran perfectly fine.

Twolane: Where is the crank sensor located on a 12 CVO Street Glide?

Everybody:  Any possible ideas?  It is definitely an electrical problem.

Thanks,

Ryan
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 05:01:39 PM »

Update:

Replaced fuel filter, replaced air filter and charged battery.  Also tested battery, it's good.  No luck, still has a problem.

So, I took it into Buddy Stubbs Harley.  They said that they would only charge me 1 hr. diagnostic fee and got billed for 3 hrs.  They changed plugs, checked battery, checked fuel pressure (all good).  They replaced two relays, drove it and said they had it fixed.  I drove it thirty minutes home and ran fine.  Got it out a couple of weeks ago, died twice in the first 15 minutes, then ran fine for the next hour.  Got it back out yesterday, headed over to Wild Horse West for a burger and beer.  Died on me 9 times on the way over.  Pull the clutch, let it die, wait a few seconds, release the clutch and it fires right back off.  If I don't wait a few seconds, it will not.  After the burger and beer, I was expecting the same trouble on the way home, nope, ran perfectly fine.

Thanks,

Ryan
I believe it's that little pain in the azz gizmo that gets in the way of making it easy to change the oil filter.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 06:38:57 PM »

Update:

Thanks,

Ryan

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 11:59:36 AM »

Crank sensor is a good starting point.

Some other ideas.
Double check tightness of battery terminals and cables. Check connection of all electrical modules. Unplug and inspect terminals for signs of corrosion.
When it dies, if you turn it off and then on does the fuel pump fire up when bike won't start?

Kill switch in handle bar acting up?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 08:12:06 AM »

Ryan, any update?
If not.
Check your ground under the starter.  What does your voltage meter read when it's running and when it shuts down.

If the voltage meter reads 14+ v running all the grounds are good,  when it shuts down what is the voltage meter reading?

It should read 12v (ignition still on with  motor shut down)

If it shows 0 voltage then you have an intermittent ground fault shutting down the ignition, or a faulty power supply shutting off ignition.

But most likely a ground fault because a power supply fault would  most likely cause an arc that would blow a fuse especially the high number of times it happens as a ground won't.

It's possible when removing the oil filter to disturb the crank sensor connection or the wires are shorting out where they go connect to the sensor(check for exposed wires)

Found this on Crank positioning sensors

Symptoms of a bad crankshaft position sensor

There are three ways in which a bad rotation sensor can stop a motorcycle from working

Firstly, a bad rotation sensor can stop a motorcycle from firing at all.

Some motorcycles will hear the fuel pump prime and all the lights come on… but no fuel or spark will be delivered to the chambers.

If you’re riding while it fails, this can cause you to just stop. If you’re parked, it can cause you to not be able to start.

Secondly, a bad rotation sensor can cause stumbling. This can be at a variety of speeds. Usually, this is associated with a sudden RPM drop. I had this happen around 4,000-4,200 rpm consistently. I’ve read of people having it at different random RPM ranges. Some say 5,000, or even 8,000, with different conditions like “at any throttle opening” or “only under wide-open throttle”.

Thirdly, another symptom of a bad position sensor is the motorcycle starts and runs for a while… and then stalls. This can be anything from a “hard start”, to a few revolutions, to maybe even 10-20 minutes of running.

I’ve read of the whole range, and experienced a couple. In this case, my Ducati Supersport 900 ran for about 20 seconds before stumbling and failing.

Crankshaft position sensors do fail over time. Even though they’re a static component with no moving parts, after thousands of hours of use (assuming 20,000 kms is about the equivalent of 2-4,000 hours), the hot oil washing over them from inside the crank case can take its toll.

A “bad crankshaft position sensor” may not actually be a fully bad sensor. The effect of all that heat may have made the sensor weaker, in which case placing it closer to the timing wheel might have an effect. This is a dangerous game though… you might end up shearing bits off the sensor, sending them into your engine via the oil! Very bad!

It might also be a weak/loose/corroded connector. On older motorbikes, particularly those that have seen unseasonable weather, the crank position sensor’s connector may just have seen a little bit too much dust, oil, heat, or moisture. Check the plug.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 09:33:46 PM by longlast »

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.