Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear ABS pedal lock  (Read 958 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Rear ABS pedal lock
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »

I know its been thrown out there but just wanted it seen again for those of you like me that have a tendency to put things off. Go get the brake fluid changed. Had an ABS light stay on solid a month or so ago. It lasted a few days then all went back to functioning as normal. Light gone problem forgotten. Wrong. Last week left for work which is only a 5 mile ride. Started bike ABS light stayed on...dang problem is back. First stoplight from the house rear brake pedal sure felt funny. 2nd stoplight it took considerable effort to get the rear brake pedal to move. As I pulled into work the rear pedal was locked and wouldn't move without standing on it at that point it would lock rear brakes and they would slowly release after you got off the pedal. Bike is at the dealer now and going to be somewhere around  $1400 to repair the ABS. Lot more expensive than what the fluid recall would have been but still cheaper than ending up on the ground. All that said to let everyone know that guys it does actually happen.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Rear ABS pedal lock
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:52:38 PM »

I had the complete opposite when I took delivery of my FLHXSE3.
Rear brakes would not work, had to stand on the brake pedal with all my weight to get anything out of them.
Was told by dealer discs and pads are new and will bed in over time, not being convinced with the techs answer to failing brakes I flushing brakes with a vaccum bleeder that resolved the problem, I can now feel the ABS kick in when I pedal hard on the rear brake pedal.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:56 AM »

Unfortunately a lot of folks with early versions of the Harley ABS have been bitten by defective ABS pump and valve assemblies.  Harley tells everyone it's a failure caused by old brake fluid, but that's pretty much BS.  The problem is caused by the materials used in the valves, which easily corrodes and then sticks.  The auto industry does not have this problem, and none of the manufacturers I'm familiar with require a full fluid change every couple years like Harley is now recommending.  In fact, most cars don't require fluid flushing and replacement until the system is opened up for other repairs.  But if you're running Harley ABS you need to heed their warning and change the fluid regularly, since we have no way of knowing if they ever fixed the corrosion problem with their system.

One thing about the early version that doesn't help the repair cost is how Harley only made the pump and electronic control module available as a complete unit.  In most cases both parts don't need to be changed.  I was under the impression they only had the single part number for the entire system in the first year (2008), and switched to the separate part numbers for 2009. :nixweiss:   The pump and valve assembly runs about $450 - $500 last time I checked (doesn't include the electronic module).  If you also replace the electronic control unit then you're probably looking at something close to a grand just for the two parts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »

Unfortunately a lot of folks with early versions of the Harley ABS have been bitten by defective ABS pump and valve assemblies.  Harley tells everyone it's a failure caused by old brake fluid, but that's pretty much BS.  The problem is caused by the materials used in the valves, which easily corrodes and then sticks.  The auto industry does not have this problem, and none of the manufacturers I'm familiar with require a full fluid change every couple years like Harley is now recommending.  In fact, most cars don't require fluid flushing and replacement until the system is opened up for other repairs.  But if you're running Harley ABS you need to heed their warning and change the fluid regularly, since we have no way of knowing if they ever fixed the corrosion problem with their system.

One thing about the early version that doesn't help the repair cost is how Harley only made the pump and electronic control module available as a complete unit.  In most cases both parts don't need to be changed.  I was under the impression they only had the single part number for the entire system in the first year (2008), and switched to the separate part numbers for 2009. :nixweiss:   The pump and valve assembly runs about $450 - $500 last time I checked (doesn't include the electronic module).  If you also replace the electronic control unit then you're probably looking at something close to a grand just for the two parts.

Jerry

Jerry you are correct. My bike, an 09 has seperate controls. One electrical and one mechanical. There was also problem ls with the solenoid side which related back to my original problem. The valve locking was just an added problem. You are also correct on pricing as the quote is right at $1000 for parts.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 07:58:48 PM »

Jerry you are correct. My bike, an 09 has seperate controls. One electrical and one mechanical. There was also problem ls with the solenoid side which related back to my original problem. The valve locking was just an added problem. You are also correct on pricing as the quote is right at $1000 for parts.

Have replaced two of those with failures just as yours.  Not my bikes obviously since my bikes are so old they can't spell ABS.  Both of them was lucky enough to score good modules on eBay.  Owners got out much much cheaper than going to the dealership.  My little Daytona Twin Tec tool will bleed the ABS system.  You're welcome to borrow the tool if you want to go hunting for parts.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 08:45:51 PM »

Have replaced two of those with failures just as yours.  Not my bikes obviously since my bikes are so old they can't spell ABS.  Both of them was lucky enough to score good modules on eBay.  Owners got out much much cheaper than going to the dealership.  My little Daytona Twin Tec tool will bleed the ABS system.  You're welcome to borrow the tool if you want to go hunting for parts.

Thank you for the offer Don. Local dealer already has it apart. Never even thought about the possibility of you having one. I did go as far as to price one before I took it to the dealer but had trouble justifying it in my head. I should know better by now than to try and justify anything when it come to HD. Just go get what you need.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.