Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lowering kit  (Read 1078 times)

mrbhd

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Flhtcuse3
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
lowering kit
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:58:42 PM »

Gentlemen (and or ladies)

I have what is likely a dumb question.   I see many different lowering block kits for sale but the vast majority say they will not work on a 2015 CVO road Glide Ultra.  Does anyone know why?   I know this is not the best way to lower the rear but the curiosity is killing me.  Thank you in advance for your responses.  The bike has standard HD air shocks (no adjustable) 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: lowering kit
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »

Gentlemen (and or ladies)

I have what is likely a dumb question.   I see many different lowering block kits for sale but the vast majority say they will not work on a 2015 CVO road Glide Ultra.  Does anyone know why?   I know this is not the best way to lower the rear but the curiosity is killing me.  Thank you in advance for your responses.  The bike has standard HD air shocks (no adjustable)

The most likely reason is that the folks who say that don't understand that the CVO RG Ultra is not lowered from the factory like the CVO RG Custom is.  Your bike has the same rear tire size and rear shock size as the standard models, and if those lowering blocks will work on a standard model they will work on your bike.  It's not the best way to lower a bike, as you already know, but it is definitely less expensive than buying a set of high priced 12" rear shocks.  Might be worth trying just to make sure you really want to lower it, before springing for a set of premium brand 12" shocks. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:00:55 AM »

The most likely reason is that the folks who say that don't understand that the CVO RG Ultra is not lowered from the factory like the CVO RG Custom is.  Your bike has the same rear tire size and rear shock size as the standard models, and if those lowering blocks will work on a standard model they will work on your bike.  It's not the best way to lower a bike, as you already know, but it is definitely less expensive than buying a set of high priced 12" rear shocks.  Might be worth trying just to make sure you really want to lower it, before springing for a set of premium brand 12" shocks. :nixweiss:

Jerry

What Jerry said... :2vrolijk_21:

May I also add that you can usually find a good, used set of the HD Premium or premium low shocks around this site and the interweb for a fraction of the original costs.  The lows are 12" shocks and actually lower the bike about 3/4 of an inch.  I removed the stock air shocks on my '15 CVORG and replaced with the premium lows for about $250 and saved labor at a dealer doing it myself.  These were stock on my '12 SESG and I liked them for my '15.  Others may point you to more expensive aftermarket but for your application, I'd go this route instead of considering the lowering blocks.  I did the blocks once on my '95 Ultra just for grins and giggles...lasted about 2 weeks and took them off.  I ended up replacing the air shocks with Fox on that bike.

If'n you decide to spend more in the future for upgrade or you don't like the premiums, you can always resell the premiums and get some of your money back.  That would be tougher to do with the blocks ;D

mrbhd

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Flhtcuse3
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  You guys are awesome!!!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »

I use the block on my 16 rgu no issues
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »

depending how old you are, can ya take that beating?, I'v  had lowering blocks and shorter shocks too , I seen no diff. they both such, took them off after one ride  :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.