Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tents and sleeping bags  (Read 3162 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Tents and sleeping bags
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »

I am taking a trip next week and the guys wanna camp a few nights to save money. Personally I'd rather spend the cash and have a shower, bed, and TV but going with the majority :)

I am looking for a decent tent and sleeping bag that can fit in a large "Ultra" style tour pack. Other than this trip, these will be rarely used (may even just sell them after) so I don't need anything fancy. Any suggestions for the traveling/camping biker as far as gear would be appreciated!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Tents and sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »

Back when I was hooked on the (HD) Kool-Aid I had thought about getting the following...

Harley-Davidson Rider's 4-Person Motorcycle Dome Tent

Harley-Davidson Sleeping Bag

Then I realized my ole @$$ needed a bed/shower at night.  :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »

It's been a lot of years since I've slept on the ground but when I did, the air mattress under my sleeping bag was a high priority.  Get a good one that isn't going to go flat withing a couple of hours of crawling in to your sleeping back. 

Not sure where you're going to be "camping" or what the weather will be but if it's not to cold, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a cheap tent and sleeping bag (walmart) but spend the money and get a good air mattress.  All of it should fit in a tour pack if you don't have anything else in there.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:33:49 PM »

Since size and weight will no doubt be a factor for you, how about checking out a reputable backpacking store?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GD214

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »

I am taking a trip next week and the guys wanna camp a few nights to save money. Personally I'd rather spend the cash and have a shower, bed, and TV but going with the majority :)

I am looking for a decent tent and sleeping bag that can fit in a large "Ultra" style tour pack. Other than this trip, these will be rarely used (may even just sell them after) so I don't need anything fancy. Any suggestions for the traveling/camping biker as far as gear would be appreciated!

I, like you, have friends that want to camp when we ride.  Like you, I'd prefer to stay in a motel/hotel.  As horrible as it has the potential to be, it hasn't been for me.  Some of the best rides and times I've had have been when we camp.

I use this tent:
https://www.rei.com/product/893927/rei-co-op-camp-dome-2-tent

and this pad:

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-co-op-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

I have not camped on my CVO but we camped a fair amount when I had my 2012 Ultra Limited.  That tent fit in my saddle bag.  It will fit in your tour pak, too.  I had a luggage rack on my tour pak and I bungeed the pad to it.  I have always been on my bike by myself when we camped so I set my sleeping bag on the seat behind me.  I had a rider backrest and it fit nicely between the tour pak and the backrest.  I ran a bungee around it to keep it secure. 

I don't have a fancy sleeping bag because we don't camp when it is really cold.  If you need one that compresses tightly to fit the tour pak, I suggest REI as well.

I highly recommend the pad.  It's a little narrow for sleeping but it is the standard width and fits nicely on the rack.  It will be your best friend, trust me.

If you buy good stuff up front and want to sell later there will be plenty of backpackers that will buy it.  REI is good stuff.

Enjoy the adventure and best of luck.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:27:26 PM »

If you're using an air mattress be sure to check the ground before you put your tent up.
A friend of mine didn't check the ground prior to setting up his tent, first time he went inside it, all the field stuble went right through.
It was a brand new tent, a brand new air mattress is a whole bunch of brand new words I hadn't heard before.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »

Used to primitive back pack, did this for several years, used same gear for bike trips without the backpack.

I have the older version of this tent:
https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-Tent-sleeps-1/dp/B000EQCVNY/ref=sr_1_9/131-0422336-5910040?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1526008457&sr=1-9&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A2204488011
Packs down to a very small size, a 1 man tent.  Always carried a piece of plastic or plastic tarp - cut to the size of the floor - to use under my tents for protection. Strongly suggest doing this.  Could usually get the plastic stuffed into the same bag as the tent to save space.  Don't forget to seam seal the tent, seam sealer can be purchased at any camping supply store.  If it rains you will be glad you did.

Always used Thermarest sleeping pads.  Easy to inflate - no air pump needed.  https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Self-Inflating-Camping-Regular/dp/B00G4V2YJ4/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1526008767&sr=1-6&keywords=thermarest+sleeping+pad
Well worth the money, these pads come is several sizes & there are thicker versions than this one available. 

Sleeping bag - a lot depends on the weather you will be camping in.  I used summer weight bags & winter weight bags.  Can find these lots of places, this is similar to what I used when I camped: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743C4HHW/ref=psdc_2204498011_t2_B01EIQH9JG
Suggest getting a bag with a compression sack.  Can greatly reduce size by compressing.  You may also want to check on an inflatable pillow.  Takes up only a little space, I always carried one.  On the bag & pillow is best to see these in person to evaluate - fit, size, fabric feel, comfort, etc.

Suggestion:  set everything up & try it out before you go.  Finding out something is not right on your first night of camping is not much fun.  Don't ask me how I know this.  ;D

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »

All depends on the $$ you want to invest. I do alot of backpacking so, my gear is quality. You get what you pay for. I fit my tent, pad, and sleeping bag in one saddle bag. Have done it many times.  A down bag is the only way to go for bike camping due to compressible size.  I highly recommend Eddie Bauer for a bag.  I compared and priced down bags and EB won hands down.  High quality that no one ever thinks of.  For tent, upsize 1 person above how many will use it. I use a 3man for my son and I. I have a North Face.  Another option would be a hammock. Enos has a nice line including straps for ease of hanging and tarps for rain. My son uses his set in Scouts.  Compact and light weight for single person use. There are many different brands of sleeping pads. Thermarest was the standard but, just as good can be had for less $$.  Don't forget an inflatable pillow. You can always stuff clothes in one of the stuff sacs but, I like a dedicated pillow.

A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:03:58 PM »

Don't forget earplugs! If your buddies are like most there are usually 1 or 2 that can suck the pine cones out of the trees in their sleep after a few brews. lol
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »

REI has a big sale going right now. May want to check them out.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »

Don't forget earplugs! If your buddies are like most there are usually 1 or 2 that can suck the pine cones out of the trees in their sleep after a few brews. lol
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE
    • CJ CYCLE
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »

For sleeping comfortably when camping, like at Sturgis, Yellowstone, etc, I use this, and put a self inflating mattress on top.  Just like sleeping in my bed at home (almost).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQFC2KY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=AHC5L7B5DVI81&psc=1

For tent, I purchased this tent.  Works great, sheds rain, and easy setup & take down, which is important when you want to lay down miles during the day, rather than pack up camping gear.  I prefer the 2 man size, so I can get my gear inside the tent if raining. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8YFPB1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A12D6DYWZULY97&psc=1

For a summer bag, we bought cheap lightweight sleeping bags at Walmart.  However, I am looking for better quality, as got cold in West Yellowstone on way back from Sturgis the second week of August! 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:35:13 PM by CJ CYCLE »
CHOPS

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 26 queries.