Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley - Holley 2-bbl Side Draft Screamin' Eagle Carb Setup Twin Cam  (Read 4128 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Screamin' Eagle Holley 2-barrel Twin Cam carb kit?

The part number is 27973-00 and listed as for Twin Cam motors.

I found several threads about these and they were not very good.  Hard to tune etc and some dead spots in the curve.

I'm looking at a 2005 CVO 103" Fatboy motor assembly still in the cut off frame.  Not sure of the miles, but it looks okay on the outside.  No damage to the case or trans.  I have a manifold for a S&S Super E carb and I plan on running a Thunderheart ignition system so there will be no main engine wiring harness, just the alternator output and ignition etc.

I could probably get the Holley setup for a song, but don't know if it's worth the effort just for the "cool" factor.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope you're all having a great new year!

By the way if anyone has not seen my "Just A Head's Up" thread in off topic, today is my third day of true retirement and it still feel like I'm just blowing off work and will still have to go back... :(  But I think I can work my way through it... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

J.D.

Re: Harley - Holley 2-bbl Side Draft Screamin' Eagle Carb Setup Twin Cam
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »

I have not used one but recall it needing both a special intake manifold and really big power engine.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »

I have not used one but recall it needing both a special intake manifold and really big power engine.

The manifold comes with it and is pictured in picture 3.

The venturi size of each barrel looks quite small.  I'm thinking that a 103" would be large enough considering that when this came out it was a retrofit for an 88" motor.

Just don't know if I need to invest any money into something that will not perform well and just give me fits.  Hope to get some hands on experiences tonight from someone.

Thanks for your reply.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »

Dan, look at it as I do. you're starting a new job. That's what I tell 'em at the dealership or when someone ask what I'm doing or up to. " I'm working on being a professional bum. but I'm in the amateur stages now". 9 yrs. later & I'm still an amateur.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:42 PM »

Put one of these on a 2000 Road King.  Not a bike of mine but one I saw regularly.  After this one was installed it was a bike I wish I'd not seen regularly. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »

Put one of these on a 2000 Road King.  Not a bike of mine but one I saw regularly.  After this one was installed it was a bike I wish I'd not seen regularly.

PM sent
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »

I bought this kit when it first came out in 2000, what a mistake that was, its basically a cut down 4 barrell Car Carb, had no end of problems tryng to get it to work ok, that was on my 1999 RK 95cu, Harley Uk sent me the tuning kit free of charge but even with a good well known engine builder in the UK, it was a nightmare, If memory serves me right it has 4 serperate fueling jets per cylinder and when changing one it woould have effects on all the others as well, plus it had a return spring so powerful I had a right arm like Arnold Schwarzenegger, after many attempts to get it right we gave up and Harley UK offered me the 51mm CV kit in exchange, It was the only one the dealership ever sold and it was quickly taken of the shelf. Good Luck.
WHUFC   COYI

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »

I took a look at the kit in Indiana on Monday.  It was all as described in the pictures, but after Don and some of the other comments I decided the "cool" factor was not worth the hassle.  I'll just stick with my Ultima R2 carb and intake.  The R2 is a S&S Super E clone that has gotten some good reviews from different forums I'm on. 

I just thought that some would enjoy the pictures and maybe someone had some first hand experiences with it.

If anyone does want it for the "cool" factor, he will take $200 for it and I can give you his name and number if you PM me.

Thanks for all the input as usual guys!

Have a great day... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »

the intake manifold, if i remember correctly, had a plenum so both barrels dumped into both cylinders ... cool to look at but everybody everywhere said they were near impossible to tune for street use.   there we're good two barrel carbs folks used way back, but they always had the problem of low speed tuning.. i always thought they would have worked if one barrel was a vacuum secondary and only opened when needed..   more complicated than EFI i think.

loupuleff

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »

Did you ever sell this carb ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

loupuleff

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 06:55:59 AM »

I bought this kit thanks Dan for the contact info ! I already have this carb on my 99 road king when I take it apart for cleaning this year I will set up the new one the same and have as a backup. Btw the carberautor works great if they are set up properly that's why they didn't have a good reputation most mechanics didn't know how to work on them and they had some gasket issues I've been told the shop that originally set this bike up actually redesigned the gasket kits for Holley.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »

This carb was the same basic design as the Holley 4412 aftermarket 2 barrel. It was used on about a million circle track race cars both dirt and pavement that were rules mandated to use a 2/barrel. Automotive ones were rated out of the box at 500 CFM but could flow more with minor work. Saw only one on a bike and the guy loved it, he worked at the Bowling Green Holley plant so maybe he had a little inside help? But either way they are now so old I would pass. Unless you already have one, I would check with Holley prior to purchasing one to see if any replacement parts are available before purchase.

loupuleff

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »

I have a rebuild kit a tuner kit and now a entire carb kit should be ok ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

loupuleff

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »

I just installed this new kit on my bike I took the old kit off the intake gaskets were shot anyhow and the carb was very dirty so instead of waiting to clean the old one i set the new one up with the same jets with the exception of the transfer feeds which I bumped to 24's instead of the 22's the carb is not that hard to install taking a few hours intake included and  the bike fired right up. It ran lean at first and I tuned the carb  in about a hour of riding and the bike runs extremely well now. It's been cold here so I'll see how it runs when it gets hotter and tweak as needed. The only issues with these carbs is the gaskets the holes don't line up properly and the holes were not cut clean leaving some jagged edges and had to be redesigned but other than that I think it's a great set up !

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.