Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a paper air filter available for cvo bikes?  (Read 1172 times)

gman2304

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Is there a paper air filter available for cvo bikes?
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:34:50 AM »

First post so please be gentle. This is my 4th Harley but my 1st cvo. New to me 2010 cvo Streetglide bought in June of 2020 with 25,000 miles, now has 31,000 miles. I’m not a fan of the gauze type air filters but can’t find a paper filter that will fit the cvo filter housing. Has anyone here changed to a paper air filter and if so what filter did you use? Are there any pros or cons for paper over gauze or vise/versa?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Is there a paper air filter available for cvo bikes?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 05:20:28 PM »

Depends on which air filter asm you have. A photo or description would help.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 10:29:10 PM »

most of the CVO bikes all came with better filters.. i really doubt you will find one that will fit the air cleaner.. you could install a non CVO air cleaner and a paper filter - probably should have it tuned for it.

the 07 came with a better box and still used the paper washable filter, shortly later they started coming with the stage one filter new

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 10:30:49 PM »

just a heads up.. the only weakness of note for that year range is the lifters.. they are pretty cheap to replace, but if they fail it grenades the engine. just a FYI

gman2304

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »

I did find a paper air filter for my 2010 cvo Streetglide at of all places........my local Harley dealer for $49.99. My bike tends to slobber oil into the filter housing a bit so I decided to keep using the K&N. timo, thanks for the heads up on the lifters being a potential problem. I have read about the lifter problems and I’m considering having them replaced with either Feuling or S&S.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »

i used hylift johnson lifters, but really HD lifters are fine. they don't cost much, don't cost much to replace, and so far the cheap propolactic is to just change them every 20k   there is a bunch of stuff on harley engines that, when its all said and done, just a little maintenance goes a long way. a friend has over 100k on his 88. those had a problem with the rear cam bearings and the cam chain shoes. he put in gear drive - and has not done a single thing since.

Trevor Yacyshyn

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide - Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 12:00:03 PM »

The Stock CVO Air filter element on my 2017 CVO Streetglide is paper or cellulose and is washable a few times before the filter blinds off and losses performance.
There is also a stock size that fits that is a washable K&N type, and it sounds like thats the one you don't want.
For me up here in Canada, the stock one was about $54.00 cdn at my dealer this last weekend and the K&N harley type was about $85.00

So from that information I hope I have helped you.
Check with your parts guy at the dealership and see what he can show you.

Did you 2020 come with a K&N type filter in it???? I didn't see that when I was at the dealer.

Trev
2017 CVO Street Glide, RS-468 Cam, T-max, TBR slipons

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 24 queries.