Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebag lid speaker question  (Read 911 times)

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Saddlebag lid speaker question
« on: April 13, 2020, 07:22:58 PM »

Info - I have a 17' CVO stock boom ll 6 speaker system (Note: added HD's oem lowers speaker kit a while back & posted a write up about that).

So, one of the saddlebag speakers is going.  If I order new HD speakers will I automatically get the new and improved version or could I get some old stock?  Is there a different part # for the improved newer speaker?

2nd, is there a good aftermarket speaker (2ohm) that anyone has tried on a stock system that they like any better than the HD unit?  Doing some searching I have found a J&M 2ohm replacement 5x7 but it is a 2 way where the stock unit is 3 way.  Any suggestions appreciated
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:24:46 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Glenncarp

Re: Saddlebag lid speaker question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »

I added the J&M Rokkers to my Road Glide front fairing along with their amp, marked improvement over stock, no issues a year in and sound good at 80 MPH. There are not many options for 2 Ohm so I went with J&M over HD. If you decide yo go this rote, do not buy from J&M directly, I bought them from Bikers Choice http://www.bikerschoice.com/ about 1/2 off the J&M web site price

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »

Thanks for the response Glenncarp.  Why the upgrade on the Amp though?  Was it bad or did you just want to and does it plug & play into stock location? I ask because I don't want to replace the Amp and cut the harness if I don't have to but if I did I know it would open up the option of moving to a 4ohm speaker which would have more choices but defeat my previous actions of adding the HD speaker, amp & wiring kit I added for the lowers awhile ago.

P.S.  I know sh-t canning the 3 amp stock setup for 1 good amp with new speakers would be optimal but I just don't want spend 3K plus on stereo stuff  right now  and cut the bike up. (saving for 131 kit)

Thanks again! 

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »

I had a '11 and '16 Road Glide CVO's and traded for a '19 RG Special so I did not have an Amp. J&M was plug and play, might have been able to get a bit better, but wanted to DYI so plug and play was where I wanted to be. Almost went Fosgate but finally decided on J&M as I did not want to spend $$$ for a pleasure vehicle I ride (in NC) 7 months a year 3X a week. Plus, seriously, no bike stereo sounds that great at 80 MPH. Lol

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 01:07:32 PM »

Understand why the Amp now.  It was your posts in another thread that turned me on to the J&M's. Unless someone chimes in about the stock ones I might go with the J&M's and be a Guinea pig with the stock amp.

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 01:12:22 PM »

You should be fine with stock since the J&M are 2 OHM, I did a lot of research and there are not many 2 OHM options out there. One other I think, can't remember who it was at the moment. Learned though that if you go to 4 OHM with 2 OHM amp, you will need a lot of power to drive the speakers and loose a lot of sound. At 80 MPH, my stereo is is 2 bars down from full. I left the gain at stock J&M setting, if I remove the fairing again, I may turn the gain up a bit.

markp1965

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 02:22:54 AM »

I recently replaced my saddlebag speakers with Soundz audio 4 ohm speakers they sound awesome and although they are slightly less powerful because of running on a 2 ohm system its not that noticeable , it all depends on the db output of the speaker you are installing . I just put the fader slightly more to the rear and all is good , sounds awesome and no more worries of blowing the crappy Harley speakers , on a side note I recently for the first time tried using a usb stick for music instead of bluetooth through my phone and HOLY what a difference in quality and volume, although I did take the time to download all my music in 320kbs . Previously I was using apple music through my phone

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »

Usb stick is so much better. I Agee.   Did the same thing.    Stuart. 👍

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »

Have several USB sticks for the bike.  One I listen to most has all the music on 1 stick, the others are separated by type of music. I select shuffle & it plays them randomly.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »

Usb stick is so much better. I Agee.   Did the same thing.    Stuart. 👍

Search threads here, there is software (free) you can download so you can create playlists on the USB stick just as you do on an IPOD or phone. It is a bit tricky so read the posts carefully to get it to work. It worked for me two or three times,then I could not get the playlist to show up on the USB stick for unknown reasons.

I used USB stick for a while then found a refurbished 32GB IPOD touch on EBay for $50, the reason I like the IPOD over the USB stick is the ability to simply plug it into Itunes and it updates, With the USB stick, you have to remember the new songs you downloaded and add them manually to the stick, just my quirkiness U guess.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 11:51:33 AM »

I recently replaced my saddlebag speakers with Soundz audio 4 ohm speakers they sound awesome and although they are slightly less powerful because of running on a 2 ohm system its not that noticeable , it all depends on the db output of the speaker you are installing . I just put the fader slightly more to the rear and all is good , sounds awesome and no more worries of blowing the crappy Harley speakers , on a side note I recently for the first time tried using a usb stick for music instead of bluetooth through my phone and HOLY what a difference in quality and volume, although I did take the time to download all my music in 320kbs . Previously I was using apple music through my phone

Cool thanks for the response, that's the point of this thread, to see what people actually tried and how it came out, so I can put the best replacement speaker in the lid with out cutting and changing the Amp.  The usb stick isn't a bad idea, I have never been a fan of the quality loss of the Bluetooth connection!

Note:  After a little more research a 4 ohm speaker on a 2 ohm amp is actually a good choice because they actually pull less power from the amp with generally better sound quality.  (especially if you buy a more sensitive better quality speaker) The difference in volume is just around 3db, so fade back 1 is a good way to deal with just changing only the rear speakers or change all speakers to 4ohm and no fade and 1 up on volume.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:23:00 PM by RivRaptor »

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »

Update:  Well after much research and considered opinions I decided to go with the newer style stock speaker kit 76000319B Stage ll speaker kit.  Comes with 2 speakers, grills & hardware.  $460 OTD.  Why, well after 3 years of sun exposure, wind & rain that ain't that bad.  I used to play the stereo game back in the day with cars, boats, golf carts and pretty much everything eventually fails no matter the quality (Especially Boats at the Colorado river in 120 degree heat) so...even though its not the best sounding system ever created it gets the job done and the new grills look great, didn't realize how faded the grills were getting and also I didn't loose anymore bag space with a bigger speaker.  Lots of sun out here now, back to triple digits!

Glenncarp

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »

Update:  Well after much research and considered opinions I decided to go with the newer style stock speaker kit 76000319B Stage ll speaker kit.  Comes with 2 speakers, grills & hardware.  $460 OTD.  Why, well after 3 years of sun exposure, wind & rain that ain't that bad.  I used to play the stereo game back in the day with cars, boats, golf carts and pretty much everything eventually fails no matter the quality (Especially Boats at the Colorado river in 120 degree heat) so...even though its not the best sounding system ever created it gets the job done and the new grills look great, didn't realize how faded the grills were getting and also I didn't loose anymore bag space with a bigger speaker.  Lots of sun out here now, back to triple digits!

Good luck! Give us a review once completed.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.