Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 ultra - speedo fluctuating/cruise switching off  (Read 703 times)

KEB

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2008 Ultra
2008 ultra - speedo fluctuating/cruise switching off
« on: August 19, 2023, 08:43:28 PM »

Hi

I have some funky electrical issues going on. Speedo fluctuates and cruise cancels. Does run a bit rough.

Have replaced the speed sensor and identified a broken connector to the sensor and the wiring to the ECM. However, that has not resolved the issue.

Looks like maybe a wiring problem. This would appear to be in the data link CAN bus link. BUT before tearing the harness apart we were wondering if maybe there is a terminating resistor problem (one is needed on the CAN bus as I understand it). However we cannot find it in the wiring diagram or parts book. Maybe they are part of another component? Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: 2008 ultra - speedo fluctuating/cruise switching off
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 10:01:41 PM »

I had a similar problem on my '08 SEUC with the speedo and tach fluctuating.  One night on the way home, the bike had a small "lurch" along with the tach/speedo glitch and then continued running, but I noticed the voltage gauge had dropped from the normal 15 volts to just below 12v.  I turned the headlamp from high beam to low, and switched off the heated grips and seat.  Even turned off the radio.

Made it about 20 miles before the battery died; luckily, was about one kilometer from home.  As expected, the voltage regulator had gone bad.  Installed new VR and the fluctuations went away.  YMMV
If you want peace, prepare for war.

KEB

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2008 Ultra
Re: 2008 ultra - speedo fluctuating/cruise switching off
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 10:09:33 PM »

I had a similar problem on my '08 SEUC with the speedo and tach fluctuating.  One night on the way home, the bike had a small "lurch" along with the tach/speedo glitch and then continued running, but I noticed the voltage gauge had dropped from the normal 15 volts to just below 12v.  I turned the headlamp from high beam to low, and switched off the heated grips and seat.  Even turned off the radio.

Made it about 20 miles before the battery died; luckily, was about one kilometer from home.  As expected, the voltage regulator had gone bad.  Installed new VR and the fluctuations went away.  YMMV

Thanks. Should have mentioned that the power vision logs indicate voltage is good. Dealer mechanic claims they have checked the earth's, I believe him but will check that myself anyway.

Tacho is fine, it's only those components that need the speed data which takes me back to the speed sensor.

Hate intermitent electrical problems.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.