Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Mapsource v 6.14.1  (Read 9047 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Mapsource v 6.14.1
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

This new version seems to be much more demanding on computer resources.  It is much, much slower than the previous version.  Is my computer just not capable or has anyone else noticed this?  I'm running in on XP 1.60 GHz processor with 768 mb of ram. 

Is there any way to go back to the previous version?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Mapsource v 6.14.1
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »

Jerry, just generally you need more RAM.  Running XP and just about anything else you're trying to float a navy with two rowboats and a popgun with that little RAM.

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »

Jerry, I have the same XP with a little more ram(1.1G) and I couldn't run it.  It was even slow on a friends Quad Core, too much graphics data I think.   I sent an e-mail to Garmin but haven't received any response.

I reinstalled 6.13.7 (2009 update) and all is well again.  To go back, you need to uninstall MapSource completely.  Then reinstall the Mapsource base program first; after that you can reinstall the 6.13.7 directly.  You can skip any in between updates.  If you don't have the 2009 update, I'll send you a link to download it.

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:42:38 AM »

Same problem.  Where do you find 6.13.7?
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »

Same problem.  Where do you find 6.13.7?

Here you go- http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/ .  When you look at the site, they use "6137" instead of 6.13.7.  The reinstall will want to also download to your Garmin/Zumo, let it. 

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »

No problems with 6.14.1, but I'm running a meager 2GB of RAM.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

same, 1.5 dual core with Vista Pro...

Runs fine

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »

What else are you running; what processor?  My Pentium IV at 1.1GB won't handle it.  If you also have a Pentium IV and it works with 2GB RAM, I'll up mine.  Lots of people on the Zumo Forum are also having problems.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »

I'm calling BS on this. I'm running a Dell Inspiron Intel Core Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz with 3.49 GB of RAM and this program s**ks. You can no longer click on a route and move it to add way points. It takes forever to zoom in & out regardless of map detail. Thank you for posting the link to the old version.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »

What else are you running; what processor?  My Pentium IV at 1.1GB won't handle it.  If you also have a Pentium IV and it works with 2GB RAM, I'll up mine.  Lots of people on the Zumo Forum are also having problems.

Intel Core 2 T7200 @ 2GHz  (Centrino Duo)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »

I'm calling BS on this. I'm running a Dell Inspiron Intel Core Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz with 3.49 GB of RAM and this program s**ks. You can no longer click on a route and move it to add way points. It takes forever to zoom in & out regardless of map detail. Thank you for posting the link to the old version.

OK.  That's awesome.   :2vrolijk_21:

Still doesn't change the fact the program works fine for me.........the way I use it.  It is noteworthy that I do not use the program to level of which you write.  I usually find two points, and let it plan the route for me.  Anything more complicated...........and I may as well be at work.   :)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »

ok, what other services running on your system, do you have malware, is there something running in the background that is eating up resources?

there are so many variables, unless you had the same HP laptop I am using - its apples to carrots...   :carrot:

mine runs great, I can add move delete waypoints, recalc the route all if it and there is no delay.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »

So I'll stay away from this one for awhile, unless I get that new OctaCore 5 Ghz with 8 GB of ram laptop I saw in the back of Popular Mechanics. Maybe I'll build the homebuilt hovercraft instead.

:indian_chief:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

So I'll stay away from this one for awhile, unless I get that new OctaCore 5 Ghz with 8 GB of ram laptop I saw in the back of Popular Mechanics. Maybe I'll build the homebuilt hovercraft instead.

:indian_chief:

Being the geek I am, I go to something called the Gartner IT Summit most years - two years ago the CEO of Intel was the keynote.  He said they had in development an 80 core that will do real time language translation.  Would be out in the year '15 or so. 

Going this year (Orlando baby!) wondering what has changed in two years.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 01:14:52 AM »

ok, what other services running on your system, do you have malware, is there something running in the background that is eating up resources?

there are so many variables, unless you had the same HP laptop I am using - its apples to carrots...   :carrot:

mine runs great, I can add move delete waypoints, recalc the route all if it and there is no delay.

I don't know what "malware" is so I don't know if I have it or not. To compare apples to apples, I was using the previous version of Mapsource on this laptop. Now I am using the latest version, on this laptop. Nothing else has changed. The software functionality has drastically changed however. Unfortunately, there were features in the older version that seem to be no longer available. It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue as much as it is software related.

OK.  That's awesome.   :2vrolijk_21:

Still doesn't change the fact the program works fine for me.........the way I use it.  It is noteworthy that I do not use the program to level of which you write.  I usually find two points, and let it plan the route for me.  Anything more complicated...........and I may as well be at work.   :)

Henry, I am glad to see that the program is simple enough for even you understand how to get from point "A" to point "B". However, there are some of us that are a little more sophisticated and would like to be able to use the software to it's full potential. I am sorry that I write in such a manner that is difficult for you to understand, but that is based solely on my education level and has no correlation to the software's functionality.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.