Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Deceleration Front End Wobble on 2011 Roadglide Ultra  (Read 24295 times)

wreckdiving

Deceleration Front End Wobble on 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »

Just wondering if this is normal or not, But about a month ago I bought a new 11 roadglide Ultra CVO.  The question I have is, while decelerating if I just lightly take my hands off the grips my front end starts to wobble.  My brother said its a reaction from the tranny slowing the bike down.  Is this true or does the bike need to have its wheels re balanced. I dont recall ever feeling this on my roadking.  Any advice before I call the dealer and have them give me a bunch of excuses I would like to hear from the RG owners out there.  I appreciate it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Deceleration Front End Wobble on 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

Just wondering if this is normal or not, But about a month ago I bought a new 11 roadglide Ultra CVO.  The question I have is, while decelerating if I just lightly take my hands off the grips my front end starts to wobble.  My brother said its a reaction from the tranny slowing the bike down.  Is this true or does the bike need to have its wheels re balanced. I dont recall ever feeling this on my roadking.  Any advice before I call the dealer and have them give me a bunch of excuses I would like to hear from the RG owners out there.  I appreciate it!

There are existing threads on the site concerning this very subject, and many Road Glide owner's have had similar experiences.  The short answer is NO, it is not normal.  The dealer needs to check the steering head bearing preload.  And he needs to make sure he is using the latest specs for Road Glides, which is different than the other Touring models.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »

A front end decerleration problem on a Road Glide is not "normal" (whatever that is) but very "typical."  See here:   Front End wobble at 45-50 mph.  Jerry is correct.  This has been common since the 2009's.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »

Tighten the head bearings up. Had the same issue, mine are set at 1 swing. Tighter than HD specs and I really don't care , problem solved..     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »

I've got a friend with a 09 and his has been in to the dealer more than once and steering head brgs tightened and still will tank slap if you let go of the bars on decel.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »

I've got a friend with a 09 and his has been in to the dealer more than once and steering head brgs tightened and still will tank slap if you let go of the bars on decel.

Tell him to find a different dealer.  It's a well publicized problem, and unless there is something seriously wrong with wheel balance or runout, setting the steering head bearing preload correctly will take care of the problem.  The specs for a Road Glide are significantly different than those for an Electraglide, and if the "technician" is just setting the swing to 3 or thereabouts like he would on an e'glide, he's way off.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RickD

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »

I'm with Texas, mine had the same issue, 1 swing cured it....
2011 FLTRUSE
Fullsac Stg II
Andrews 54's
Rhineharts

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »

Of Course this is my favorite topic on here.   Do exactly what Jerry says or you will be miserable with that bike. A front end wobble is nothing to ignore. Get that corrected. 

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »

My SESG did this also right out of the crate----------------no it is not normal but as stated above ----commonplace. Always run proper air pressure(helped mine---42 lbs. front) and have your steering head bearings tightened. It might still do it some but it will help. Secondly, don't ever let  go of the bars!

jessie2011

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:32 AM »

I too had this problem from the show room floor, my local dealer rebalanced the front wheel and adjusted the fall-away.  I continued to have this problem.  I road to myrtle beach bike week and then to Daytona last week and the wobble drove me crazy, so I had the Daytona dealer check both the balance and the fall-away again and found the balance out.  Afterwards the bike was a different bike, perfect.  It was a joy to ride the 600 miles ride home.  Don't give up.
Jessie
Jessiesn

Falcon 2000

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

Just had the dealer tighten my head bearing, problem went away.

NoMore

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

GET THAT BIKE IN ASAP!!! My friends had the EXACT same problem. Took it to the dealer and said "oh yeah know exactly what the problem is" they were aware of this problem evidently from what the mechanic said. They made an adjustment and it solved the proble for a bit. Then while in the hills of TN it started again only this time at less than 25mph the bike would not round a curve. The riders behind him said they saw him fighting with the handlebars to steer since leaning wasnt doing the trick and they crashed. She lost her leg. No lawyer would take the case here in Texas but I directed them to BAM(EVERY biker should be a member and it's free). A group of lawyers went out to the auction house where the bike was set for sale by the insurance. They inspected the bike and found a flaw in the design and now have the bike in storage and are going after Harley for this. Do NOT risk it. I don't know all the details but from what I have gathered so far something in the cabling but if your dealer says it is just an adjustment bolt they are lying. It is something more.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »

GET THAT BIKE IN ASAP!!! My friends had the EXACT same problem. Took it to the dealer and said "oh yeah know exactly what the problem is" they were aware of this problem evidently from what the mechanic said. They made an adjustment and it solved the proble for a bit. Then while in the hills of TN it started again only this time at less than 25mph the bike would not round a curve. The riders behind him said they saw him fighting with the handlebars to steer since leaning wasnt doing the trick and they crashed. She lost her leg. No lawyer would take the case here in Texas but I directed them to BAM(EVERY biker should be a member and it's free). A group of lawyers went out to the auction house where the bike was set for sale by the insurance. They inspected the bike and found a flaw in the design and now have the bike in storage and are going after Harley for this. Do NOT risk it. I don't know all the details but from what I have gathered so far something in the cabling but if your dealer says it is just an adjustment bolt they are lying. It is something more.

Never, ever heard of that before...would be interested to hear more detail about a "cable" causing someone to crash.  The steering head bearings must be seated and tightened appropriately or you get the wobble.  As mentioned, HD revised the spec on the Road Glide to 1-1.5 "swings".  Once that adjustment has been made correctly the problem goes away...the key word being correctly.  It can happen on a Batwing bike as well, but is not as common from reports I've read, and the number of swings on a Batwing is different than on a RG.

Whatever the case, I hope they get to the bottom of it and take care of your friend.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:44 PM »

Just picked up an 11 FLTRUSE and experienced the same thing. Dealer adjusted it but said there still might be "some wobble." Yes indeed there was still "some" wobble - idiot!!!  Went to another dealer and problem solved.  Second dealer actually tore the front end apart, replaced the bearing, lot's of lube and set to one swing fall away. Problem solved, however, this begs the question: I thought the new frame was designed to eliminate the tank slapper problems with the old frame? With all the lawsuits and bad publicity HD got back then, you would think they'd get it right this time.  Finally, if I hear one more service manager say "you should keep your hands on the bar at all times" I will attempt to wring his neck. I think HD gave them all the same script as if to place blame on the rider and minimize the MoCo's liability. Thanks for hearing me out.  PJ
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:51:21 AM by pj57 »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

Just picked up an 11 FLTRUSE and experienced the same thing. Dealer adjusted it but said there still might be "some wobble." Yes indeed there was still "some" wobble - idiot!!!  Went to another dealer and problem solved.  Second dealer actually tore the front end apart, replaced the bearing, lot's of lube and set to one swing fall away. Problem solved, however, this begs the question: I thought the new frame was designed to eliminate the tank slapper problems with the old frame? With all the lawsuits and bad publicity HD got back then, you would think they'd get it right this time.  Finally, if I hear one more service manager say "you should keep your hands on the bar at all times" I will attempt to wring his neck. I think HD gave them all the same script as if to place blame on the rider and minimize the MoCo's liability. Thanks for hearing me out.  PJ

The old frame design could cause the tail to wag the dog, particularly in high speed sweepers...a different kind of wobble than is being experienced because of the neck bearing not being adjusted correctly, or not assembled correctly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.