Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Handlebar Postion on 2015 FLTRUSE  (Read 25058 times)

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
Handlebar Postion on 2015 FLTRUSE
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:48 PM »

I would like my handlebars rotated up a little, talked to my dealer today since they didn't have time to do anything when I picked it up and they say they can't be moved because they're pinned. Has anyone removed the pin yet or is there any movement at all without moving the pin? How do I get to the handlebar clamp and the pin if the dealer absolutely won't do it for me? It looks to be built much different than my 2011 FLTRUSE was--I can't figure out how it comes apart. Thanks for any info.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 Teal SEEG - Sold
    • CVO2: 08 Annie SERK - Sold
    • CVO3: 09 SEUC
Re: Handlebar Postion on 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:34:12 PM »

I bought my 2015 today and asked the dealer to rotate them up for me. They told me they were set as high as they would go without modifying the pin which they said they would not do. They are worried about liability issues. So I also want to find out how to move them and I believe there are a couple guys that have had this done.

WJS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »

Remove the chrome cover under lock. Cover your tank to keep them from damage. Remove the 2 screws from the sides of instrument housing. Unplug the instruments. Take the 4 bolts out on risers remove bars. Get a pair of vice grips and pull the pin out of the lower part of riser. Pull and turn at the same time.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »

Pinned handlebars?  Pinned in one spot.  When did this start?  Hell, we used to make fun of the guys that didn't have enough sense to know that the first thing you do upon getting a new bike is adjust the bars to fit you.

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »

Thanks WJS I will get on that little project.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

Pinned handlebars?  Pinned in one spot.  When did this start?  Hell, we used to make fun of the guys that didn't have enough sense to know that the first thing you do upon getting a new bike is adjust the bars to fit you.
Yup, big write up over on Roadglide.org with pix about it. Bars themselves have a slot in them that sits on the pin. Non CVO models also have the grips pinned so you can't rotate to far and pinch wires. CVO models have marks on the bars (it's in the manual) that you're not supposed to rotate the grips outside of those marks. Service bulletin out about 6 weeks ago telling dealers to rotate the bars the whole way forward during prep. I made sure my dealer was aware of this before my bike even got here. With the new fairing the bars are much closer to the radio and inner fairing that they had to put a "stop point" in there so people wouldn't rotate them too far forward. Imagine the trouble if people rotated them too far in the garage and then didn't turn the wheel lock to lock to check for clearance.

Maybe MoCo started rolling them forward at York and told the dealers there's no more adjustment.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »

Yup, big write up over on Roadglide.org with pix about it. Bars themselves have a slot in them that sits on the pin. Non CVO models also have the grips pinned so you can't rotate to far and pinch wires. CVO models have marks on the bars (it's in the manual) that you're not supposed to rotate the grips outside of those marks. Service bulletin out about 6 weeks ago telling dealers to rotate the bars the whole way forward during prep. I made sure my dealer was aware of this before my bike even got here. With the new fairing the bars are much closer to the radio and inner fairing that they had to put a "stop point" in there so people wouldn't rotate them too far forward. Imagine the trouble if people rotated them too far in the garage and then didn't turn the wheel lock to lock to check for clearance.

Maybe MoCo started rolling them forward at York and told the dealers there's no more adjustment.

Geez....  I know the MoCo has treated us like ugly stepchildren for years and years and years.  Know they're acting like the nanny guardian of the stupid stepchildren as well.

I get it, some of that stuff can only move so much.  It makes sense with the grips.  But guys are really moving the handlebars so much they're causing problems?  Guess I need to actually see what's there before saying it is profound nonsense.  But for gawd's sake it makes a guy feel like he might as well have a Schwinn trike and Pee Wee Herman outfit if we're so far removed from dealing with our own bikes anymore...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »

Unfortunately there are many people running around loose these days Don that don't have a lot of what used to be called "common sense".  Add to that the litigious nature of our society, and the fact that no one it seems ever thinks they are to blame for the bad things that befall them, and we get manufacturers that feel it necessary to install pinned bars, along with plastering the bikes and other products with enough warning labels to wallpaper a small room.  People don't heed warnings, people don't read manuals, and people often refuse to take good advice when it's offered.  The nanny state has been created by those sorts of people, not necessarily the manufacturers of products.  Trust me, we didn't add all those warning labels and automated safety devices on cars because we were looking for a way to pizz away more money.  We did it to cover our azzes.  And I'm going to assume that Harley is doing the same thing.

I'm often amazed when I think back to how things were in the 50's, 60's, and even 70's, that any of us survived long enough to reach adulthood.  Somehow people back then managed to develop that common sense I mentioned earlier, and those who didn't often screwed up and often got hurt.  When we did something stupid and got hurt or tore up our stuff, we didn't look for someone else to blame, we sucked it up, took responsibility, and moved ahead.  What a novel idea.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:45:35 AM »

Unfortunately there are many people running around loose these days Don that don't have a lot of what used to be called "common sense".  Add to that the litigious nature of our society, and the fact that no one it seems ever thinks they are to blame for the bad things that befall them, and we get manufacturers that feel it necessary to install pinned bars, along with plastering the bikes and other products with enough warning labels to wallpaper a small room.  People don't heed warnings, people don't read manuals, and people often refuse to take good advice when it's offered.  The nanny state has been created by those sorts of people, not necessarily the manufacturers of products.  Trust me, we didn't add all those warning labels and automated safety devices on cars because we were looking for a way to pizz away more money.  We did it to cover our azzes.  And I'm going to assume that Harley is doing the same thing.

I'm often amazed when I think back to how things were in the 50's, 60's, and even 70's, that any of us survived long enough to reach adulthood.  Somehow people back then managed to develop that common sense I mentioned earlier, and those who didn't often screwed up and often got hurt.  When we did something stupid and got hurt or tore up our stuff, we didn't look for someone else to blame, we sucked it up, took responsibility, and moved ahead.  What a novel idea.

Jerry

It's all so true Jerry.  The same thoughts you and I and others (of sensible mind and dinged up body) have had more than once.  Too often think back on some of the equipment utilized and things done and contemplate how much was left to us.  That used to be recognized as "can do" or other descriptions.  But we learned from it.  Now we're never allowed the chance. 

I readily admit and appreciate the safety increases that have come from advancing tech.  Things we never could have dreamed of when we were kids.  And much is just a good application of modern technology.  But much is nanny state-ism.  For someone that wonders how we learn and progress without challenge and experience it both worries and annoys the hell out of me.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

With the pin removed the bars will rotate quite a ways forward before they will hit the fairing. 

My dealer removed the pin for me as part of the prep, even had me come sit on it so they could get them where I like them.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »

My Dealer also removed the pin during prep and had me sit on it to get the desired fitment.  Overall the bars are VERY comfortable for me, no change out needed.

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »

I just finished pulling the pin (Not that pin as in Bang) It was really easy thanks to all who gave advice. What a difference in the feel. I managed to even get a 100 mile ride in without getting wet. Now we need to give her some power and some rumble.

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to get done in the morning, I'm assuming the chrome cover under the switch is just a lift up cover. And are you saying the switch doesn't have to come out?
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »

Yes that is correct.

WJS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:56:47 AM »

Chrome cover slides out under switch. Horseshoe shaped. Once you remove it the hole in the housing is large enough to pass over switch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.