Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: 2015 CVO RGU Screen Glare Issue "DANGEROUS"  (Read 33112 times)

DownUnder CVO

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited-Traded
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra- Traded
    • CVO3: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
2015 CVO RGU Screen Glare Issue "DANGEROUS"
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:36:42 AM »

Not being able to see the screen when the sun is behind me is a big problem for me and can be dangerous.
Having had a 2014 CVO Limited for 12 months where there is no Glare issue at all, and being used to using all screen functions I have had a few scares on the RGU when I haven't been able to see the screen and getting distracted.
Maybe if I didn't have the 14 CVO Limited I wouldn't know the problem existed. In saying that there is no way I would go back to a Bat now, this bike is an amazing ride.
I think this needs to be quickly addressed by HD. The angle of the screen is wrong tilted up instead of down and also set to high. I think a complete redesign of the dash is the only solution.
Opinions or any ideas for a fix?
If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: 2015 CVO RGU Screen Glare Issue "DANGEROUS"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:56:31 AM »

Someone else posted they got a matte finish screen protector at a local store and put it over the screen. While not 100% effective, it reduced the glare quite a bit.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »

I think a complete redesign of the dash is the only solution.

yeah, i don't see this happening anytime soon.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »

I had heard this was one of the only customer complaint about the new RG fairing design a month ago while at a dealer.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »

I too came off of a 14 Limited and that was the first thing I noticed on the couple of test rides I did. At the york open house the reps said that was the only complaint they heard on the new design.

I've only got 450 miles on mine and can't say it's a big issue yet. I've noticed it but I've been able to move my head and create a shadow that makes it readable again.

I don't see a redesign coming, maybe a screen protector or hood as an add on will be about it.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

About a month ago my dealer let me take his 2015 CVO RGU for an extended test ride of about 200 miles.  I made some notes for several of my friends about my impression of the bike from the test ride.  Here is what I said about the infotainment screen:

Infotainment screen / gauges - while they are positioned much closer and better than on the older RG styles they are still positioned so you cannot see them well!  Now it was very cloudy and overcast when I left and after a while some sun did pop out.  But even in the overcast conditions I had difficulty seeing the infotainment screen and if the sun should be behind you well good luck then because you won't be able to see it or any of the gauges except the speedo and tach.  I don't recall my '11 RUSE having this degree of problem.  It had some but not this much as I recall.

And you know when riding on back roads and you pass through a heavily treed area how the light and then the darker shadows play off each other and create an almost strobe like effect?  Well even when heavily overcast and not bright at all the shading differences encountered in treed areas caused distracting reflections on all the instruments and the infotainment screen.  Something I noticed but maybe could learn to ignore with time??

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »

i had a 2014 cvo ultra and yep the screen reflection was not an issue.  I do agree the RGU  the glare off the screen can be blinding or at least very distracting.  I hope they work this out but hope its not a big screen visor like on the old boat depth finders.  Really when they were out testing these bikes none of the Harley people noticed this come on.   

2008 rocker c, 2003 fatboy, 2015 rgu

Reddog303

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »

800 m on mine 2015 has really not been an issue. Not really a great factor ,sitting higher maybe I am 6,5" or probably as my wife says you should look down. Am pissed about the radio  not working properly but heard that is a tech.update download at the next service interval....

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »

you can update your radio your self  go to harley website.  But even with their updates I still have issues.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »

There are times the glare is bad and you can barely see the screen.  It can be a pain some times. I have 6700 miles on the bike, in all kinds of weather conditions. However I have bigger issues with things that do not work that should, like auto dimming and then coming back to bright, the AVC, the times zones and so many more. 

They say Jan will have another software update.

They obviously Rushedmore to put this head unit into production 18 months ago and it still does not work as designed or claimed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:59:08 PM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »

i have the exact same problems with mine

Reddog303

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »

Yep AVC works exactly opposite louder when I stop quieter when I ride WTF , haven't even got my new pipes on yet,  :o

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:38:05 AM »

Yep AVC works exactly opposite louder when I stop quieter when I ride WTF , haven't even got my new pipes on yet,  :o

Reddog,

Each time you start the bike and get rolling go to your AVC menu and turn it off and then back on. It should work fine until you turn it off again.

HD will have a lawsuit eventually from someone getting in an accident due to this glare issue. I've been on mine twice now where I've had to hold my hand up to block the glare in order to see down the road at all. I'm 5'10". I still love the bike though.

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

So by glare, you are referring to a reflection bouncing back and blocking your vision? My helmet has a tinted shield so I haven't experienced that issue. I just get the infotainment screen washed out from direct sunlight, but it's still readable.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »

So by glare, you are referring to a reflection bouncing back and blocking your vision? My helmet has a tinted shield so I haven't experienced that issue. I just get the infotainment screen washed out from direct sunlight, but it's still readable.

I would assume my sunglasses would provide the same protection as your tinted shield. If you get on a long straight road with the sun at your back in the right/wrong place, you will be blinded by the sunlight if you are on the stock seat and are 5'10" tall. :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.