Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Stuck on bugs??????  (Read 20292 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Stuck on bugs??????
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:42 AM »

I hate to admit this to you guys but I am sure some of you will understand.

A few weekends ago I went on a stag ride with the fellas where we put on 930+ miles.  When I came home it was sunny and 85 and the kiddos (8 months & 22 months) were needing some Daddy time.  I put the bike in the Man Cave and went to Dad mode. By the time they went to sleep I was exhausted and needed to get to bed. The next day started the work week and the nightly routine with the kids.  So after two weeks of sitting, I said enough was enough and went out at 11 p.m. to wash the bike. Well The bugs are now really stuck on the batwing. I ran warm water on her and all and it just does not seem to want to release the marks.  The bug's juices are gone but the marks are left behind.  I tried the honda spray and even left it on for an hour before rubbing it off. 

A friend of mine said he used dryer sheets that he soakes in water for a minute or two and they clean bugs right off.  There is a residue left behind but he said a little spray detailer and your all set. ANYONE try this?

I hate to bust out the bug and tar remover.... So I am open for what has worked for you.

Thanks guys,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
Re: Stuck on bugs??????
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »

I have good results with liberal use of the Honda spray and days old dried bugs but have never left the spray on more that about a minute before wiping. Most of the time I just use paper towels and turn frequently to keep from grinding the bugs back in and to take advantage of the spray residue from a clean side of the towel. When I have a very large concentration of bugs I use a wet sponge instead of paper towels also turning and rinsing frequently.

Both methods seem to work well on our helmet visors and windshield without leaving marks. If either of those don't work for you please be sure to post your final solution for future reference.

Good luck!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »

The bugs are off the windshield as well as the forks and the lowers, but the batwing has that skid mark left behind.  I hate to rub too hard and I think I will get out there again with the Honda spray and see what I can do. I did notice a few on the front fender.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »

This stuff works pretty good.

http://www.bugslide.com/

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

I'm sorry but can not help.

I have always wondered why I can ride my bike and hit every bug imaginable.  Drive my van or pickup with 5 times the frontal area and have less bug splatter.     :nixweiss:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »

I have good results with liberal use of the Honda spray and days old dried bugs but have never left the spray on more that about a minute before wiping. Most of the time I just use paper towels and turn frequently to keep from grinding the bugs back in and to take advantage of the spray residue from a clean side of the towel. When I have a very large concentration of bugs I use a wet sponge instead of paper towels also turning and rinsing frequently.

Both methods seem to work well on our helmet visors and windshield without leaving marks. If either of those don't work for you please be sure to post your final solution for future reference.

Good luck!

Just a note, paper towels are very bad for the paint.
They get bugs off, but leave scratches.
They have ground up pieces of metal in them. always use a clean cotton or microfiber cloth.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »

RLTW

NSTY110RIDER

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »

I wet a towel with warm water and just let it sit on the bug covered surface for about 20 minutes and everything wipes right off.
Works great everytime !!  :2vrolijk_21:
2008 Screamin Eagle Road King

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »

I wet a towel with warm water and just let it sit on the bug covered surface for about 20 minutes and everything wipes right off.
Works great everytime !!  :2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21:

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »

There has been a few threads about this.  A spray mixture of 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide with a small amount of dawn detergent works very well.  The peroxide dissolves organic material (bug guts), the Dawn is a medium that holds it to the surface, and the water makes it all applicable with a sprayer.  I made a 1500 mile run in west Texas in 100 degree heat and coated my RG in every bug known to science. I left the bike like that for 3 weeks, and this solution took it all off in 2 applications.  It's just science - peroxide eats organic material.  Also works for wine in carpet and blood on anything.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:18 AM »

After you've cleaned it really well, you'll still notice 'marks' that the bug guts actually etched into the paint if left on for a long period of time.  They'll have to be polished out to get back to a smooth surface.  Then you can shine it up to start all over again.  ??? har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

There has been a few threads about this.  A spray mixture of 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide with a small amount of dawn detergent works very well.  The peroxide dissolves organic material (bug guts), the Dawn is a medium that holds it to the surface, and the water makes it all applicable with a sprayer.  I made a 1500 mile run in west Texas in 100 degree heat and coated my RG in every bug known to science. I left the bike like that for 3 weeks, and this solution took it all off in 2 applications.  It's just science - peroxide eats organic material.  Also works for wine in carpet and blood on anything.

Bill

Sounds like oxiclean! You may have determined the perfect solution in your recipe, however wouldn't the same oxidation reaction that eats the bug protein have a negative effect on your paint finish in the long run?

Most of the time when the my bug coating is extensive on my paint I go for a full wash, the spray method is more of a front end chrome and windshield quick detail.

Some great ideas, and Keats - thanks for the tip on the paper towels!  :2vrolijk_21:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Coming back from a ride around the great lakes last summer, I had so many bugs, it was hard to tell what color the fairing was!

I also use the wet towel trick. Wet a couple of big bath towels, and lay them over for 1/2 hour or so to rehydrate the little buggers. At this point, I avoid rubbing, as some of these criters have some hard shells, so I use the water hose nozzel to get off as much as possible.  That usually gets all of the hard parts. I then coat the area with S100, and let that sit for anotheer 15 minutes or so, then rinse and scrub with a micro-fiber wash mit.

I will say it does help a lot to hit them as soon as possible, but after a 7 day ride, this routine works pretty well.  I also make sure to put on a nice coating of wax prior to leaving.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Harley's bug remover works real well. It has a sweet smell to it and I've often wondered if it isn't something similar to Pledge.

justplainjim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

Put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.  Spray the bugs, wait for a minute or two and wipe off with a damp microfiber towel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.