Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My CVO Updated Story  (Read 2421 times)

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
My CVO Updated Story
« on: May 08, 2023, 03:59:44 PM »

My CVO update story.

Back in 2001, I purchased a 2001 CVO Dyna Wide Glide (FXDWG2), which I thought then, and still do think it is one of the prettiest Harley’s made.
I rode that thing everywhere for the next six years! And I mean everywhere!
I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway from end to end, and then back again. I’ve ridden the Tail of the Dragon with it twice, just to name a couple of trips.  I love that scooter. 
But, in 2007 I retired and thought I’d better look for a better bike for touring around the country. I found a 2007 Road Glide with only 1,200 miles on it (his wife got pregnant) and picked it up for the balance of his loan.

After a full year of “making it my own” (read that as $6,000 worth of upgrades ands accessories) to where I transformed it into a Road Glide Ultra.  I could get on that thing and ride it ALL DAY and still wanted to ride it more. My CVO was my hot-rod and my Road Glide was my limousine!

With the Road Glide, I made three more trips to the Tail of the Dragon, followed up by an 11-state trip in 40 days and THAT’S when I knew I had made the right choice.
Then, the CVO Dyna Wide Glide was only ridden for short trips…. To the dealership, to the store, to the post office, etc. But I always kept it in pristine shape, sitting right next to the Road Glide.

Fast forward to 2020 and I had to have back surgery for a herniated disc. It was a successful surgery, but after that I found it harder and harder to even get that 1,000 lbs bike off the kickstand. I didn’t want to hurt my back again, so the Road Glide had to go.  Besides, I still had the CVO Wide Glide, which only weighed 700 lbs, so my motorcycle “fix” was very doable.
I’ve been riding the Wide Glide for a full year now, and although the multi-state or long all-day rides are no longer in the cards for me, I still get a kick riding it as often as I want to.
I’m very lucky to have had two Harleys in my stable, but I must admit, I keep reaching for that 6th gear, but it’s not there.  Oh well, but I am still getting the wind in my face therapy and the smile always comes back when I hit the started button.

Ride on and ride often….

John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
Re: My CVO Updated Story
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 04:03:01 PM »

This was my 2007 Road Glide
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 10:12:35 PM »

I had back issues after having back surgery.  Sold my 2010 CVO Street Glide.  Didn't ride for a couple of years but eventually Andy parked on of his bikes at my place in San Diego and kept asking me if I'd rode it yet.

Eventually I got on it for an hour (it was an Ultra Classic so a comfortable, cush ride).  I did several short, 1 hour trips over the next few weeks then eventually took it out for half day ride.  No issues and did that a few times.  Eventually, I took it out for a full day and still no issues.

I bought a 2013 CVO Ultra Classic with matching Bushtec trailer on the east coast.  Chip & Nancy went to West Virginia and picked it up for me and took it back to their home in Matthews, NC.  I flew in to Charlotte and got on that bike and rode it 2,400 miles in 2 1/2 days back to San Diego.  I'm still riding that bike and it now has 70,000 miles on it and getting ready to head to Colorado on it.

Just my back issues and riding experience.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 04:29:24 AM »

Hi Buffy,

I wish you all the best after the herniated disc and the successful treatment.
No matter how long the tours are, it is the feeling of freedom when driving.
Enjoy it for as long as you can, regardless of whether it's a day trip or a long ride.

keep the fire burning and ride safe
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.