Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuelie Hesitation...  (Read 2673 times)

Big_Red

Fuelie Hesitation...
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:01:26 PM »

Up on all maintenance.. esp. plugs & air filter blah, blah.

Freeway warm, the thing just hesitates for a sput when i rake the throttle most times.   Coming up on 30K milestone, but it's always done this.

Thoughts, feedback, suggestions?  EZ fix?

Thanks in advance.

BR

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
Re: Fuelie Hesitation...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:24:45 PM »

ANY MODS  OR IS SHE STOCK ???  AND WELCOME 2 THE SITE  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 11:25:23 PM by booboosboss »

Big_Red

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 12:14:10 PM »

ANY MODS  OR IS SHE STOCK ???  AND WELCOME 2 THE SITE  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Mods:
Stage 2 SE A/C
Thunderheader Pipes
PCommander module  3 (bitmapped & dyno'd)
SE 204 cams
adjustable pushrods

Note: this little hesitation issue has gone on, somewhat intermittently, since the bike was pure stock.  Rake the throttle suddenly (e.g. while rolling up a highway ramp) and it will shudder & sput for _just a nano-second_, then roar to full life.

Similarly, it will sometimes have a slight hesitation at say, 60mph cruise speed w/no throttle changes.  This seems to disappear once the scoot's like, :20 min. 'freeway warm'.

I've just learned to live with these features, but my other scoot ('02 SE RK) doesn't do it.  Of course, it has the newer stock fuel injector setup.

Thanks for the reply; any suggestions appreciated.

BR

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 01:29:37 AM »

MY GLIDE USED TO HICCUP ,  BACKFART  , AND OCCASIONALLY STALL WHEN IT WAS STOCK ... FIGURED THAT WAS THE EPA TUNING'S FAULT ... PUT SE AC , THUNDERHEADER 2 INTO 1 PIPE , AND SE PERFORMANCE HEADS WITH A HD CARTRIDGE FLASH INSTALLED AND ALL THE WEIRD STUFF WENT AWAY ...  SHE RUNS LOTS STRONGER  TOO .....HOW COME DID YOU SWITCH YOUR CAMS ??? WHO DID THE PCIII WORK ?

Big_Red

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 06:48:35 PM »

<snip> .....HOW COME DID YOU SWITCH YOUR CAMS ??? WHO DID THE PCIII WORK ?

I need to check whether I put SE 204 or 211 cams in (203's were stock)..   I wanted the most performance bang for the buck, so I called around lots of HD shops.. talked to lots of experts etc..  The consensus was that short of going to SE heads (with rumored attendant heat problems predicted), this slightly hotter cam set w/adj. pushrods was the ticket.   (After the usual breather/pipes upgrade..)

It was.  NOTICEABLE difference in the saddle, and on the Dyno.

I have found that I get slightly poorer gas mileage than my buddy w/a stock SE RK 103.  But: who cares?  I've never really checked my mileage till this last Laughlin run..

Randy Aaron at Cyclevisions (San Diego) did the Dyno tweak.  http://www.cyclevisions.com/ Downloaded the bitmap for my variables, and then customized it on the Dyno runs.  Been really happy w/it since '02.  

Had the air intake gasket go bad awhile back.  Seemed to be the cause of similar hesitation problems.  Might have that re-checked when I take it in next week for it's 30K.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 06:51:26 PM by Big_Red »

booboosboss

• Junior CVO Member
  • SATISFIED
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 06:19:47 AM »

I HAD THERMAL PROBLEMS BEFORE MY  MODS ... I THINK THE REAL HEAT PRODUCER IS THE 'Y' CROSSOVER PIPE , NOT THE SE PERFORMANCE HEADS ... THE STOCK PIPE ROASTED THE HELL OUT OF ME THE SUMMER BEFORE I WENT TO THE THUNDERHEADER 2 INTO 1 ... NOW I'M RUNNIN' AS COOL AS A FOOL  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] .... I THINK YOU MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING WHEN YOU MENTIONED THE LEAKY INTAKE GASKET [smiley=idea.gif] ... I REMEMBER READING ABOUT IT IN A MC MAG A WHILE BACK ... I HOPE ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT 4 YA ... JUST A LEAKY GASKET !!! LET US KNOW O.K. ? [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 06:22:06 AM by booboosboss »

Man_From_Nantucket

• &quot;Has anybody seen the bridge?&quot;
Re: Fuelie Hesitation... resolved(!?)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:08:24 PM »

Pulled out the old spark plugs... they'd opened up to about .044 each.  

Replaced them w/new plugs at .039 each.

Problem seems to have vanished; Big Red runs like a champ!

Thx for the replies.

Now this..
-The Artist Formerly Known as Big Red.. aka Miss Piggy (SE RK)

Thunderheader
Stage 2 breather
Powercommander 3, Dyno bitmapped
SE 211 cams
Adjustable pushrods
Laid back license plate
Kuryaken rear passenger board

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 09:48:22 AM »

I need to check whether I put SE 204 or 211 cams in (203's were stock)..   I wanted the most performance bang for the buck, so I called around lots of HD shops.. talked to lots of experts etc..  The consensus was that short of going to SE heads (with rumored attendant heat problems predicted), this slightly hotter cam set w/adj. pushrods was the ticket.   (After the usual breather/pipes upgrade..)

It was.  NOTICEABLE difference in the saddle, and on the Dyno.

I have found that I get slightly poorer gas mileage than my buddy w/a stock SE RK 103.  But: who cares?  I've never really checked my mileage till this last Laughlin run..

Randy Aaron at Cyclevisions (San Diego) did the Dyno tweak.  http://www.cyclevisions.com/ Downloaded the bitmap for my variables, and then customized it on the Dyno runs.  Been really happy w/it since '02.  

Had the air intake gasket go bad awhile back.  Seemed to be the cause of similar hesitation problems.  Might have that re-checked when I take it in next week for it's 30K.

i had a similar hesitation problem with my bike.
it used to stumble after i closed the throttle and hit it again.
turns out the map i had was fine at wot, but in the 5% to 40% throttle position was real lean. the stumble was too much air being sucked in for a split second.
got a new map, problem solved.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:49:10 AM by kng103 »

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.