Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IPOD Connection  (Read 3453 times)

Bgpig

IPOD Connection
« on: May 08, 2005, 11:24:59 PM »

I am tired of messing with CD's and want to hook up my IPOD to the stock factory cassette deck in my FLTRSEI2.  I see the little jack on the face of the unit and bought a connecting cable that runs between my IPOD and the cassette deck.  Plugged it in and nothing.  I pulled out the owners manual and the only reference I can find to the jack is in a picture and it describes it as a jack for portable CD player, and then it says "not used".  

I have the 12 disk changer in my tour pack, does that matter?

If anyone has done this or knows what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate the guidance.  

Thanks,
Tom

2001 Fatboy
2001 Screamin' Glide

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: IPOD Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 11:55:57 PM »

This was discussed a while ago, I believe that if you have the tourpak changer the aux input does not work. You'll have to get an FM modulator to use the iPod.

ido911s

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:22:22 AM »

You have two choices that both work well. Try an i trip by Griffith it is a small wireless device that plugs in to your ipod and allows you to leave the ipod in your faring storage compartment and still be used. The other option is a cassette adapter which looks like a regular cassette but has a wire on the end which plugs in to your iPod. The cassette type might have a clearer sound quality in some areas but I have both and each works well.
SEO

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 01:01:16 PM »

I asked this question awhile back as I could not get a clear answer from my local HD dealership (big surprise). I called HD and after 2 attempts finally got someone that had a clue. That input plug is dead on our bikes becasue of the cd changer in the trunk. I personally bought the casette that plugs into my MP3 player and it works well. They only cost about $5 on ebay.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 01:02:17 PM by dakota »

Man_From_Nantucket

• "Has anybody seen the bridge?"
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »

Sounds like the input plug is dead because its function is hogged by the CD changer.  The changer may be hard-wired into the stereo, but I'll bet it's just plugged in to the back of the stereo w/a standard RCA connector or something else "unpluggable".

If so (and if you're done messing w/the CD changer), you could remove the whole thing OR just unplug it from the back of your stereo.  The stereo AUX input (face panel, facing the rider) should become functional and _sense_ your iPod (or any MP3 device) when plugged in with a simple 1/8" connector (Radio Shack or..).

Every wireless FM transmitter I tried sucked in the end, and the cassette input would work but leaves the cassette door partially open to debris & moisture when you're riding.

I plug my iPod in, tuck it away in the fairing cubby, and ride for  hours w/thousands of tunes blasting away.  Just make sure you select Aux on the stereo, and that your iPod's on and set for some optimal volume level.

I include the photo for instructional purposes, to help you equalize your sound system properly.  The knobology is old-school analog, but there's a certain ease of use that comes w/this format...
-The Artist Formerly Known as Big Red.. aka Miss Piggy (SE RK)

Thunderheader
Stage 2 breather
Powercommander 3, Dyno bitmapped
SE 211 cams
Adjustable pushrods
Laid back license plate
Kuryaken rear passenger board

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 04:53:02 PM »

knobology

So fondly remember studying that subject with great vigor during the university years.  It's really about the only thing I miss about college  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Man_From_Nantucket

• "Has anybody seen the bridge?"
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 06:38:47 PM »

So fondly remember studying that subject with great vigor during the university years.  It's really about the only thing I miss about college  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

User-friendly iKnobs: an idea who's time has come.

And remember: software makes hardware happy.
-The Artist Formerly Known as Big Red.. aka Miss Piggy (SE RK)

Thunderheader
Stage 2 breather
Powercommander 3, Dyno bitmapped
SE 211 cams
Adjustable pushrods
Laid back license plate
Kuryaken rear passenger board

Bgpig

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:33:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the FM modulator.  Seems to be the cleanest.  I do appreciate the instructional pictures.  Like the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand knobs... or something like that.  Thanks again.

Tom
2001 Fatboy
2001 Screamin' Glide

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:10:40 PM »

Bgpig,

I have used both the iTrip by Griffith and am now using the MONSTER, it is a little more simplier to use than the iTrip you do not have to load all of the FM station into your iTunes software. It simply plugs into the cigarete lighter just like iTrip and you simply set 88.1 - 88.9 on your FM station and set your FM Statio to the corresponding station and your all set.

You can buy the Monster at Best Buy, Comp USA tec.

geezerglide

Bgpig

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:19:09 PM »

I went and got the monster set up.  So far so good, only put a few miles on it so far.  Going for ride on saturday, will see how it is.  Thanks for all the help.

Tom
2001 Fatboy
2001 Screamin' Glide

Eagle_Rider

• 80K Miles and still Screaming
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 04:15:08 PM »

I replaced the radio with a CB model.  The factory said it could not be done because the main wiring harness was different - it was, 7 wires are different.  Hard to imagine what that engineering discussion sounded like.  "Lets make this wiring harness unique for 1600 bikes!" Oh yeah, anyways - the stock radio has a 4 pin pigtail that connects to the changer out the back of the radio.  This pigtail defeats the 1/8" stereo pin jack on the front.  You actually can connect a set of wires to the pigtail to accomplish your objective of connecting the iPod (you can purchase the opposite sex connector at your dealer and solder a couple of wires on to it).  My approach was to install the HDI CB compatible radio, build the necessary wiring harness, put an new interconnect harness in and get myself all the functions of an Ultra radio.  Cost about $1000, I acquired most of the parts on eBay.  Now I run a 1/8" pin jack extension from the left glove box through the fairing and into the front of the radio.  Works GREAT and I have the CB capability AND I can hear the radio, iPOD and CB through my helmet J&M ear speakers.  I love it!!! I have also tried the Cassette tape, their price ranges from a few bucks to $50.  The cheap units often work poorly (but some expensive one don't perform much better so be cautious).   I also have the iTrip adapter - can't say it works well, low fidelity, often gets overriden by an adjacent stations and I have had lots of problems selecting the frequency without the iPod hanging.  However it does work for about $35.  I absolutely love the my system now, lots of music, no CD Changer taking up space in the tour pac (replaced 3 changers on warranty and extended warranty already).  OK I ride a lot, over 70K miles on the FLTRSEI2 and still going strong.  For sure the iPOD is the way to go.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.