Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!  (Read 31980 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Re: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »

Hey Jim - those speakers sound fantastic; not to mention your talent as a photog.  Man if your not in the film business you should be.  Again kudos for a great job and a great looking scoot.

Hope the rain stops soon.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

Rain stopped, now it is freezing and the roads are iced over!  I'm ready for spring...

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »

You should have that thing looked at ! :P  :huepfenlol2:

I'm hoping to find a rep at Daytona next week to check my settings and my system. I had a sound place install it for me so I wouldn't have any problems but you never know.  :nixweiss: :)

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »

I keep thinking about the lack of bass with the HW system (I've heard the 150 amp system -- it is loud and clear, but truly lacks bass).

I'm wondering about a couple 6x9's (dedicated to bass response) on the sides of the inner fairing.  The speakers would face the triple tree.  Would that work?  Or does HW make another set of speakers, with good bass response, to mount in that same inner fairing location?

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:31 AM »

I keep thinking about the lack of bass with the HW system (I've heard the 150 amp system -- it is loud and clear, but truly lacks bass).

I'm wondering about a couple 6x9's (dedicated to bass response) on the sides of the inner fairing.  The speakers would face the triple tree.  Would that work?  Or does HW make another set of speakers, with good bass response, to mount in that same inner fairing location?

I looked at that location as well.  You may be able to get away with this, but the glove box and the faring engine mount are located in that area.  The magnet and speaker footprint would have to be somewhat small.  You also have to mount the amp in the faring somewhere.  I put mine on the right side basically where you are looking to place a speaker.  You could probably do one speaker and get a small amp that has 4 outputs to save space -- wiring two of them to power a small sub. 

That said, however, it probably isn't going to do what you want.  Subs needs to be enclosed around you or very powerful (300 watts or more) to hear on a bike.  Convertibles have the same issues. Most small speakers cannot handle this much power. 

If bass is critical, then I would recommend changing the main fairing speakers to components.  You can find good 5-1/4" 4 ohm marine speakers that do not have a tweeter mounted in them -- crutchfield.com is a good place to look.  Alpine has some nice component marine speakers.  Then locate the tweeters so they point toward the rider.  It will be a lot easier to relocate a tweeter than to mount a sub.  You could then get a 4 speaker 300 Watt amp (4x75) and bridge the connections.  This will push 150 watt/channel to the front speakers.  Install a good crossover and bypass the one on the amp to fine tune the output.  This will get you rocking hard with loads more bass.  Not a sub, but it will make a material difference.   

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 04:30:22 AM »

All right, after much waffling back & forth between going cheaper with the Hog Tunes, or going big with the Hawg Wired... I went with the go-big or stay home theory!

I've got the DCS/SX Direct Connect headed to my dealer for install! Can't wait to hear it in person!  :bananarock:

All right, I've had a change of heart... I am only going to have 4 days with my bike, and then have to put it into storage for up to 6 months... so I don't want to do anythign that might delay me getting to get on it and get some miles on it. If anything went wrong, I'd miss picking it up on Saturday, and then not be able to get it until Tuesday... and fly back to Japan Wed night.

So I emailed Hawg Wired and asked if I could cancel my order, since it hasn't even processed yet. Hopefully they will hook me up.

My ulitimate plan is to get with a GPS that does Bluetooth/music/cell phone, and get a stereo bluetooth helmet. So if that works out, I probably won't use my external speakers too often. We'll see how it goes... but for now, no HW for me...  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:17:33 AM by Crusty »

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

I had some fun with my HW system yesterday.  I was at a light and the car beside me was playing their boom-boom music.  When I stopped they looked at me with contempt (they didn't appear to be classic rock fans). They then turned up their radio and gave me the look as if they were schooling me on proper music selection.  I proceeded to crank HW blowing their stereo away!  They kept reaching for their volume, but couldn't hear the music inside of their car.  They had to roll up the windows.  Love it !!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »

I had some fun with my HW system yesterday.  I was at a light and the car beside me was playing their boom-boom music.  When I stopped they looked at me with contempt (they didn't appear to be classic rock fans). They then turned up their radio and gave me the look as if they were schooling me on proper music selection.  I proceeded to crank HW blowing their stereo away!  They kept reaching for their volume, but couldn't hear the music inside of their car.  They had to roll up the windows.  Love it !!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Thats too funny! Finally had mine readjusted and removed the bass speaker from the trunk. Sounds like it should now..... (but I still want the bass!!!)  :cucumber:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »

So I emailed Hawg Wired and asked if I could cancel my order, since it hasn't even processed yet. Hopefully they will hook me up.

Hawg Wired cancelled my order quickly & easily! While I'll go with HD Dude when I decide to make the upgrade, I figured I'd pass along the good feedback for the folks at HW!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.