Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cam Chain Tensioners  (Read 3842 times)

hd-51

• 2 eagles 1 garage
Cam Chain Tensioners
« on: March 18, 2004, 02:11:47 PM »

Just had my cams replaced after only 38000 miles. One tensioner was worn to the metal. Please be advised to check yours often. My 01 SERG did make a little chain noise before but in a crowd of bikes you could not hear it. Take a look at the pictures. Anybody else have the same problem? Will Harley stand behind thier bikes after warranty is out?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Cam Chain Tensioners
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:46:39 PM »

I said it on another thread.....good reason for an extended warranty or gear drive cams.

They had a history of bad tensioners and that problem is supposed to be corrected now.  I'm not sure if they'll cover it after the warranty runs out.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 10:03:44 PM »

Just got done doing an inspection on my tensioners and @ 12,000 miles I barely have any wear on them.I expected for them to be pretty worn expecially since I am a heavy hitter on the bike but no worries yet.   ride on!!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 07:29:08 PM »

I just had mine checked at 21k and they are good.

Eagle_Rider

• 80K Miles and still Screaming
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 04:54:23 PM »

Had to replace mine at 40K while on a trip up the CA/OR coast.  I knew they were wearing and called HDI to see if they would cover it under the extended warranty.  The answer back was "let it develop!"  So I says, "you mean they finally go out and trash the motor while I am out on some desert?"  HDI says, "yes, when the engine goes we would cover its repair since it was a result of the cam chain tensioner failure, but we can't just replace them because I thought they were worn, besides they are designed to wear."  Ok, so the noise is getting pretty bad and I drive it into the dealer in Eureka and the service manager says he doubts that I will make it home to Boise.  He calls HDI and explained that they really were gone and needed to be changed or the cost will be a lot more if I keep driving."  He got the authorization to change them out.  Turns out there was an oil hole that that got plugged with the material that wears off the tensioner, which then made the tensioner wear much more rapidly then normal. Works great now and I have 70K on the engine.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.