Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Front End wobble at 45-50 mph  (Read 16916 times)

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
Front End wobble at 45-50 mph
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »

My 09 has a bad front end wobble during deceleration. Its almost a tank slapper. Bike has 6k miles on it. Local Harley just put new front tire on, still has wobble. Anyone else have this ? any ideas ? Neck bearings ? :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Front End wobble at 45-50 mph
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »

My 09 has a bad front end wobble during deceleration. Its almost a tank slapper. Bike has 6k miles on it. Local Harley just put new front tire on, still has wobble. Anyone else have this ? any ideas ? Neck bearings ? :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

i guess neck bearings.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »

Something is pretty serious if the wobble is at those speeds.

Usually wheel balance is what I would start with at those speeds.

Tire pressure?

cupped tire?

can you increase speed and drive out of the wobble?

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »

Bike does not wobble at slower speeds or higher speeds. Brand new tire less than 100 miles. Still have problem. cant be tire pressure,cupped tire or balancing. 2nd tire , same problem.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »

Bearings must be shot or loose
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:49 PM »

shot at 6000 miles ??

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »

Definitely get the steering head bearings checked out.  Make sure they are properly lubed, and have the fall away checked.  There were numerous reports of improperly adjusted and/or loose bearings on the '09 models.  There also was a specification change for the stem nut torque if I remember correctly.  And yes, if the bearings have been excessively loose for 6000 miles they might be shot (bearings and/or races tend to get beaten to death when loose).   

"cant be tire pressure,cupped tire or balancing. 2nd tire , same problem."    What tire pressure are you running?  And how does a new tire eliminate tire pressure as a possible cause?   Also, since when does having a dealer install a new tire mean your wheel and tire are now automatically true and properly balanced?  Do you have any idea how many bikes go back to their owner's after a tire change with the exact same wheel weights as when the bike left the factory?  Don't believe me, mark each weight and take a photo before your next tire change, then take a look after.  And I seem to remember a problem with more than a few wheels on SERK's with improper machining resulting in excessive runout; could happen on any wheels.  My point is, these things all need to be considered and checked as part of a proper diagnostic procedure.  Something is setting off the vibration.  And if the head bearing preload isn't correct, the front end geometry won't effectively dampen the side to side motion.  Fix the head bearing issue and you may see a big improvement, but that doesn't necessarily mean that was the root cause.  Just like in medicine, you can just treat the symptoms, but it's best to find the root cause and eliminate it.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »

Had the same problem at about 55 and again around 35mph.  Took it to the dealer and they tightened neck bearing and changed tire but still persisted.  It only happened with little or no grip in the handlebars...say just with my fingertips barely touching and I could tell it would get progressively worse if let continue.  

The bike had the tourpak on and when we took it off, the wobble disappeared!  Dealer didn't have any ideas but I think its the overall balance of the bike with solo rider + tourpak and I sit pretty far back as well.  I haven't noticed it lately and I've also switched to WO517 bars.

If you're running the tourpak, take it off and test it. There was a previous thread on here about it as well.  let us know and good luck.

P.S.  Dealer told me not to ride with hands off handlebars...sheesh :nixweiss:

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »

HAD Same prob once. new tire - balance and had rim trued. prob went away

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »

I also had that wobble at the same speed with new tires. I suspected flaw in front tire and after having it balanced twice I asked for it to be measured and there was a small imperfection. New tire all better. Hope you get it fixed soon.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »

Ditto what Jerry said.  (#6, above).

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »

Thanks for the input. Forgot to mention the problem started about 500 miles ago. never had the problem for the first 5500 miles. Thats why i thought it was maybe a tire issue. As i already stated , new tire did not fix it. I will take it to the stealer to check neck bearings.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »

shot at 6000 miles ??
Or out of adjustment and no grease
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »

Make sure the neck bearing grease is full. Should be coming out the bottom.

Because of wobble I had mine at one HD who said it was air pressure. (I had checked day before.)

Problem persisted, took to another HD who said neck bearings needed 3 clicks, neck bearings needed lubed, and front tire was cupped.

Huge improvement.

At 10K needed more neck bearing grease until coming out bottom.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

Also, to mitigate cupping, run TP at max cold pressure 40 psi front and 41 rear...(I think)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »

I believe they call it the drop away test on the handlebars.

Put the bike up on a center lift so the front end is off the ground and there are no obstructions to it rotating from full left to full right.

On the SERG it's supposed to stop back at center in 1 or 1-1/2 flips from a release at either full left or full right.  Mine took over 4 flips to stop.

If you do a search on this forum you will find a service bulletin with the information on this to be exact; my memory is not what it was last week...

I had a slight wobble and took it in and they did the adjustment under warranty.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Irontiger

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »

Mine had identical problem at 6000 miles.  Took it to dealer.  They had to make an adjustment to the neck.  Corrected problem.  Several other RG owners I know had same problem and similar adjustment corrected.  Got 8000 miles now and problem has not yet come back.

Irontiger
2009 FLTRSE3
1999 FLHP (old police model RK customized)
2001 Homemade Custom Chopper

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:49:31 PM »

I believe they call it the drop away test on the handlebars.

Put the bike up on a center lift so the front end is off the ground and there are no obstructions to it rotating from full left to full right.

On the SERG it's supposed to stop back at center in 1 or 1-1/2 flips from a release at either full left or full right.  Mine took over 4 flips to stop.

If you do a search on this forum you will find a service bulletin with the information on this to be exact; my memory is not what it was last week...

I had a slight wobble and took it in and they did the adjustment under warranty.

Good luck.

Mine went 7  !!!!!!

Dealer adjusted on warranty and I have no issues since. See the attached file.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »

Neck bearing loose. Just had mine adjusted, problem solved.  :2vrolijk_21: you could only tell when bike was decelerating around 40 mph. If you let go of the handle bars, they would wobble. Another fine quality CVO bike assembled by some moron on a Monday.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »

Take it to the dealership and ask them to do a "fall away" check on it.  You'll probably find out it's the neck bearings.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »

Neck bearing loose. Just had mine adjusted, problem solved.  :2vrolijk_21: you could only tell when bike was decelerating around 40 mph. If you let go of the handle bars, they would wobble. Another fine quality CVO bike assembled by some moron on a Monday.

That is exactly what mine is doing.....

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »

My last couple baggers, including my 2000 serg have all needed neck bearing adjustments. t he service manual will tell how to do the fall away test. My serg had the bars doing a tank slapper when decell and no hands on bars. I bought the neck bearing adjustment tool that Snapon makes, made the job a breeze. I had to move the adjuster a couple of notches to get it into proper adjustment. Re-torqued the the top nut,shot full of fresh grease, now handling like it should. Someonethats when i first notic here mentioned the wooble condition with tourpak on, thats when i first noticed the wooble in my bike too. Past baggers never got the handle bars moving on decell, but instead there would be a noticible clunk in front tree when appling brakes hard at low speed. :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »

I did the neck bearing adjustment myself as the dealer would have charged me as a service item. No more wobble on decel.   Doc

Mac-D2121

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »

I have a 2009 yellow SERG and it had 1200 miles on the clock and had to have the Neck bearings adjusted and I got stung with a bill of $385.00, I asked service manager @ Barnes Harley Davidson (Canada) whats up..he commented that this should have been caught on PDI and seeing as the bike was imported from USA they would not cover the adjustment, I can still ride down the road let go of the bars and she goes into a violent tank slapper, took the bike back to the dealer...he now informs me that Trev Deeley Imports (HD Canada) has pulled ALL the warranties on ALL bikes that were brought into Canada other than thru Deeley Imports. So if anything goes wrong with my bikle I'm F--ked! And with the quality of Harley lately I'm sure I will have problems, I love my Scoot but I have lost all the Love for the mothership!!! 

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

I have a 2009 yellow SERG and it had 1200 miles on the clock and had to have the Neck bearings adjusted and I got stung with a bill of $385.00, I asked service manager @ Barnes Harley Davidson (Canada) whats up..he commented that this should have been caught on PDI and seeing as the bike was imported from USA they would not cover the adjustment, I can still ride down the road let go of the bars and she goes into a violent tank slapper, took the bike back to the dealer...he now informs me that Trev Deeley Imports (HD Canada) has pulled ALL the warranties on ALL bikes that were brought into Canada other than thru Deeley Imports. So if anything goes wrong with my bikle I'm F--ked! And with the quality of Harley lately I'm sure I will have problems, I love my Scoot but I have lost all the Love for the mothership!!! 

The dealer (Barnes) should stand behind their work. If they adjusted the neck bearings (and it sounds like you paid dearly for that work) then they should make it right.

I guess I got lucky; I got mine done under warranty.

Mine was a US import as well. I wanted the US model as i don't really like the rear light setup on the International model.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »

The dealer (Barnes) should stand behind their work. If they adjusted the neck bearings (and it sounds like you paid dearly for that work) then they should make it right.

I guess I got lucky; I got mine done under warranty.

Mine was a US import as well. I wanted the US model as i don't really like the rear light setup on the International model.
That's BS and tell we said so.
Old saying: What comes around goes around. Sounds like the goes around is near.
I get jacked up when I hear this kind of BS. ALL JACKED UP  :soapbox:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Manvessel

• CVO1: '11 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »

Had the same situation at 35-40.  Read about problem on this website, but casually took hands off bars before thinking and front end went into severe wobble.  Kind of scary if your now ready for it.  Heard of varying degrees of satisfaction with local HD dealers service quality and didn't want to risk life, limb and my BSR on getting this taken care of on a "good" day.  Was researching a switch from HD synth to Amzoil (didn't like the fact that HD uses 20W-50 in all the sumps) and was told about an ex-HD mechanic, that decided to open his own shop, and was a big fan of Amzoil.  Talked with other HD riders and heard nothing but mega cudo's about him.  He did the fluid change and told me I had a 5 pass swing in the front end.  Told him about the wobble and he suggested I take it to dealer and get it remedied under warranty.  I told him to go ahead and do the fix (while I waited).  He also checked tire pressure and balance.  Hit the road and the difference in ride and control was amazing.  Worth every penny of the $150 labor charge.  He mentioned some other simple fixes to make the ride even more enjoyable.  Will get those done @ 10K.  Nice to find someone that knows what they are doing.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »

I agree.   Glad you got that fixed.   :2vrolijk_21:

roadtrip402003

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2 (Black)
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 02:21:02 AM »

Had a wooble issue with my 01 also. Put on the cruise, take your hands barely off the bars and let the wobbling begin. I put more air pressure in the rear shocks and haven't had the problem in over a year. It seemed to be a balance issue with mine. I'm a big guy who sits back also. Just another thing to think about-good luck.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »

Had a wooble issue with my 01 also. Put on the cruise, take your hands barely off the bars and let the wobbling begin. I put more air pressure in the rear shocks and haven't had the problem in over a year. It seemed to be a balance issue with mine. I'm a big guy who sits back also. Just another thing to think about-good luck.
Balance issue=weight issue.  Without the added weight of the fairing on the roadglides, they seem to be more prone to the wobble.  Esp. if more weight is on rear (tourpac, etc.).  So many different causes for the same problem, but not putting enough grease and correct steering neck adjustment is at the top of the list when diagnosing this issue.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1 Orange Eagle

• 09 SERG
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »

Neck bearings.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »

I had wobble on decelaration at about 40 mph. After reading about the neck bearings, I thought mine was loose. Now millwrights and probably alot of others know that heavy grease will take up all the slop and make the bearing tolerances tighter. With that in mind, I filled the neck with grease until it came out the ends of the neck. Rode it and the wobble was gone for a couple of weeks and then started to wobble again. Took it to dealer and had them tighten them up. It is now gone for thousands of miles!! There is a grease zerk fitting on the left side of the neck and hidden by wiring.
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.747 seconds with 21 queries.