Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Breakdown Yesterday 6/7/20 What do you think?  (Read 3696 times)

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

Breakdown Yesterday 6/7/20 What do you think?
« on: June 08, 2020, 08:03:51 AM »

What a nice day to go fro a ride. I got my bike back from Barbs HD Saturday after my trip. Im not sure if I posted this but I went through quite a bit of oil. I added 3 quarts on the way home to NJ form my trip. I think I burnt 3 qts in about 1800 miles. Thats from when I started the season till I took it to dealer to get service. I reported to this to them and you guys already know what they told me Im sure. So I take it home and agree to keep a close eye on the oil.

So yesterday I break down bike starts bucking and everytime it does CEL light comes on and goes out. finally get to a safe spot with my brothers and shut it off.  Everytime I start it now it does the same thing. Although the longer it sits it seems the longer it goes before it does it.  I only did slip ons and bars when I got the bike. I did call them yesterday and the dealer was unable to come get me. thank god I got brothers who can help in heart beat. We got it to my house and I will call this morning and handle it. I think for a 42 k bike that is still under factory warranty I will have no problems. I hope.
Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The  A-Team.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

Re: Breakdown Yesterday 6/7/20 What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »

Just went out to the garage. Its still dong it seems to be when I rev it up thats when it happens.
Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The  A-Team.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »

It's worrying to even ask the question but; Harley EPA compliant slip ons? 

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »

It's worrying to even ask the question but; Harley EPA compliant slip ons?
I don’t know. They are from CFR. according to my dealer any slip on was fine. As long as I didn’t mess with the converter forward.

I’m getting fuel stabilizer now. Maybe I got bad gas. Who knows. We had other riders get gas at the same place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »

I don’t know. They are from CFR. according to my dealer any slip on was fine. As long as I didn’t mess with the converter forward.

I’m getting fuel stabilizer now. Maybe I got bad gas. Who knows. We had other riders get gas at the same place.

Doesn't sound like a fuel quality problem.  I'd also not start doing a lot to chase a warranty problem.  The more you do or mess with is, potentially, the more excuse given to a dealer to whine about the warranty.  Warranty is there for a reason, use it.  Good luck getting it sorted quickly and easily.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 11:35:02 AM »

That’s the fuel I got out of the tank.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 11:36:25 AM »

I can post a video but not sure how to. Ok  I’m probably have to do that from home.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »

Doesn't sound like a fuel quality problem.  I'd also not start doing a lot to chase a warranty problem.  The more you do or mess with is, potentially, the more excuse given to a dealer to whine about the warranty.  Warranty is there for a reason, use it.  Good luck getting it sorted quickly and easily.
I hear you. All I did was pull a fuel sample. They are coming to tomorow to get it. Luckily I was close and not far. And someone with a trailer helped me out other than that I didn’t know what to do. I have an AMA membership but who knows how long they would be to get there. I was in the phone with them for 20 minutes on hold.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »

I hear you. All I did was pull a fuel sample. They are coming to tomorow to get it. Luckily I was close and not far. And someone with a trailer helped me out other than that I didn’t know what to do. I have an AMA membership but who knows how long they would be to get there. I was in the phone with them for 20 minutes on hold.

Will be curious what you find out.  And time on the side of the road waiting for road service has that 1:10 ratio.  For every 1 hour your actually there it feels like 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »

I can't help but wonder if your current problem is related to the massive loss of oil (about 600 miles per quart consumption) you mentioned at the beginning of your first post.  Are you familiar with the sumping issues on M8's?  If not, there is plenty of reading on this site and others to get you up to speed on that problem.  If you were experiencing sumping on that trip and kept topping off the oil, you would have been effectively overfilling the engine.

I second Twolane's suggestion that you not mess with it and just have the dealer pick it up under warranty.  That's what the warranty is for.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 07:59:18 PM »

Will be curious what you find out.  And time on the side of the road waiting for road service has that 1:10 ratio.  For every 1 hour your actually there it feels like 10.
I know it felt like forever.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »

I can't help but wonder if your current problem is related to the massive loss of oil (about 600 miles per quart consumption) you mentioned at the beginning of your first post.  Are you familiar with the sumping issues on M8's?  If not, there is plenty of reading on this site and others to get you up to speed on that problem.  If you were experiencing sumping on that trip and kept topping off the oil, you would have been effectively overfilling the engine.

I second Twolane's suggestion that you not mess with it and just have the dealer pick it up under warranty.  That's what the warranty is for.

Jerry
I been reading about the dumping on here. I did know about it. Just didn’t really lose any power like most others did.

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 08:19:19 PM »

Ok everyone just got the word from the dealer today. The tech looked at the bike found the problem and will have it fixed shortly.  Also found another one while he was working on it and corrected that too.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 10:06:24 PM »

So what was it my friend?? Glad to hear you will have your bike back soon..

winkjr

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »

He found something in the intake I’m guessing seal or something. I couldn’t hear my shop was loud. But it was the crank position sensor.  Used one from the shop and it worked took for ride was all good. So they ordered a new one and will be in tomorow hopefully back together for the weekend.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.