Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cam specs for tuning  (Read 4904 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Cam specs for tuning
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »

Is it necessary to have the cam specs on when doing a dyno.  I recently installed a upgraded cam on my M8 and took to place for tuning.  The tech said he needed the cam specs. I called the place and where I purchased cam and the person wouldn’t give me the required info. Cam came with some info on a card but didn’t have the IVO specs or IVC.  Using a TTS tuner.  The guy said if tuner knew how to tune he wouldn’t need the specs.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Cam specs for tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »

The cam specs should be online.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:58 PM »

The cam specs should be online.

Nope not for this particular cam it isn’t. Bought it from Jim’s VTwin performance. It’s a Maxcell 821H. Called the guy and won’t give me the specs. What an A hole
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 12:17:49 PM »

Put the cam you need specs for on a online search and you will find what is needed... Or what cam and I will give you specs.... The tuner should know how to find this information.....

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »

Disregard my post!!!!!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 12:31:04 PM »

Cam specs are helpful but certainly not required to tune the bike.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »

Cam specs are helpful but certainly not required to tune the bike.

OK kinda figured but the tuner wanted some more info on cam than what came with it...I'am gonna find someone else now.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »

Is it necessary to have the cam specs on when doing a dyno.  I recently installed a upgraded cam on my M8 and took to place for tuning.  The tech said he needed the cam specs. I called the place and where I purchased cam and the person wouldn’t give me the required info. Cam came with some info on a card but didn’t have the IVO specs or IVC.  Using a TTS tuner.  The guy said if tuner knew how to tune he wouldn’t need the specs.

All he has to do is do the cam timing in the DATA collection. Using the cam specs in the software only gets you close.....the Data collection still has to be done.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »

All he has to do is do the cam timing in the DATA collection. Using the cam specs in the software only gets you close.....the Data collection still has to be done.
Doc

Can i just use the cam tune in TTS to get specs. Can it be done just idling??
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 01:01:15 AM »

Can i just use the cam tune in TTS to get specs. Can it be done just idling??

The Cam Tune will not give you specs, it will tell you when the valve leaves the seat and when the valve closes by graphing the Cam Tune in Data Collection. You will be shown on the cam graph where the line breaks.....either 1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7. After you find what number the cam tune breaks you slide the bar to that number and down load to map. Do the same for valve closing.....read the instructions in the PDF Tuning files.
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 01:41:17 AM »

Nope not for this particular cam it isn’t. Bought it from Jim’s VTwin performance. It’s a Maxcell 821H. Called the guy and won’t give me the specs. What an A hole

Jim won't share any information about his cams specially the M8 cams also you will not find any information online, as stated by Doc1 your tuner can do timing in the data collection.

anyway, this is the best cam that I have seen for 114 & 117 as direct bolt in, hp&tq curve are flat with right pipes you should see 120/130   
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »

Jim won't share any information about his cams specially the M8 cams also you will not find any information online, as stated by Doc1 your tuner can do timing in the data collection.

anyway, this is the best cam that I have seen for 114 & 117 as direct bolt in, hp&tq curve are flat with right pipes you should see 120/130   

I'm running a D&D header pipe & stock CVO mufflers with 2" fullsac baffles. Guess his cams are so much better than anyone else's he can't publish specs. Oh well guess that's his right to do so...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »

Have seen Jim's and the TTS cams where mftr refuses to share information.  Mftr can keep proprietary what they choose. It's their right.  It's enough to keep me from buying from them though.  I want to know what's going in my engine.  I admit I don't need to know and that a good tuner doesn't need the data to make a good tune.  It's probably just me being a bitch.  If I buy the product it's not too much to know what it is.  We're not talking special proprietary materials or methods here that the rest of an industry couldn't replicate.  It's just lift and duration and they (the companies) just aren't as special as they seem to think they are.

I was always the same way with dyno shops that wouldn't supply a copy of the tune.  If that's their position they don't get my work.  But, then again, at least three people in the world have said that I'm an asshole.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:20 PM »

If you just gotta have the data send the cams to someone with a cam doctor and plot the cams.   Then you have all the info
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 01:02:03 PM »

If the seller refuses me the data, I find another seller. The cam guy has nothing special, he just wants you to think he does and not be able to learn it yourself by comparison. if another Cam company wants to duplicate they would buy a cam and do it. But I want the specs. They cam specs mean something to me, always study them extensively before buying and compare with similar, may be incorrect in the final decision but it is my decision not some big headed cam grinder.
This opinion has resulted in TTS loosing more than one sale that I know of, and I am not talking cams here. But like Twolane said at least three...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 24 queries.