Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Y splitter to run more than one antenna on a Boom Radio  (Read 7345 times)

CVO Limited

• TN

• CVO1: 2014 Limited
Y splitter to run more than one antenna on a Boom Radio
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »

So today I got the hidden antenna to install inside the fairing. My plan was to use a Y splitter so that I could use both the rear antennas with this hidden antenna. After I open the box I noticed the antenna connection was way different than any other one I have ever seen. This new type end is a FAKRA. I'm guessing Harley thought this would be better and brought over from Europe. Anyway after a lot of looking I found a Y splitter with these ends on it and will give it a try. I'm hoping the more antennas I have the better radio reception I can get. Right now the OEM radio sucks. If this works I'll share on here. If it doesn't work any better then I'm you Guinea pig and I'll share that too.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
Re: Y splitter to run more than one antenna on a Boom Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »

Take it from an RF guy, just adding a second antenna will NOT improve your FM/AM reception. Sorry, but there is a little more to it than that.  ;)

Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »

Have to agree. There is a wave length formula that dictates antenna length..

No offense to the original poster, but to think this will work is kind of like thinking by adding more speakers to your stereo, it will get louder, when in reality you are wrongly changing the impedance of a tuned circuit, causing negative results.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »

The only possible use I can think of for two antennas and a Y connector would be to connect the antennas to an A-B switch, and then attach the output of the switch to the radio.  Then you could switch from one to the other, and note how much worse that hidden antenna actually is in anything other than strong signal areas.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »

The only possible use I can think of for two antennas and a Y connector would be to connect the antennas to an A-B switch, and then attach the output of the switch to the radio.  Then you could switch from one to the other, and note how much worse that hidden antenna actually is in anything other than strong signal areas.

Jerry

Ha ha ha ha Jerry, now that's one expensive troubleshooting tool.  :huepfenlol2:

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:04:19 PM »

Tried the 'Y' thing myself after knowledgeable folks on this site told me it wouldn't work  -  they were right, of course.  The very best radio signal was achieved with the original Harley setup and stock long antenna.  Not being that much of a radio guy anyway I settled for an inside-the-fairing antenna and poorer reception so I could quick off & on the chopped Tour Pac.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »

Tried the 'Y' thing myself after knowledgeable folks on this site told me it wouldn't work  -  they were right, of course.  The very best radio signal was achieved with the original Harley setup and stock long antenna.  Not being that much of a radio guy anyway I settled for an inside-the-fairing antenna and poorer reception so I could quick off & on the chopped Tour Pac.

I have the hidden antenna as well in my RG fairing for both the radio and CB (J&M version). The newer Boom Audio version radio antenna is supposed to be improved so I'll let you know if it is. Did you use the new Boom Audio hidden antenna or another version?

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 09:30:18 PM »

I went with the Boom! Audio Hidden Antenna part #76000040.  Don't know if this is the latest version or not.  It works OK, just not as well as stock. I sometimes ride with buddies who play their music all the time, I'd rather listen to the engine, pipes, wind, infrequent comments from BSR.  To each his own......... 

CVO Limited

• TN

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »

Okay so here's the out come. I took off the front of the fairing and listened to two different hard to get radio stations. There was mostly static in both of them. I then installed the hidden antenna. Both stations came in a lot better and almost all the static was gone. I then installed the Y splitter with both antennas connected. Most of the static was gone but not as good as with just the hidden antenna. Using both antennas with the Y splitter was better than stock but not as good as with the hidden antenna alone.

To me it was worth spending the $12.00 for the splitter to try to find out. Now I'm not cruising around wondering what if.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:37:07 PM »

5/8 wave antenna is about 5 foot 11 inches at 98 mhz.  Best your gonna do.

73's, DE W0GAN
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »

Rode most of the day Saturday and the new Boom Audio hidden antenna worked well.   :2vrolijk_21:

MP3 songs played via aux input much better, no worries about lost stations.  :bananarock:

CVO Limited

• TN

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »

:huepfenjump3:
5/8 wave antenna is about 5 foot 11 inches at 98 mhz.  Best your gonna do

What I was considering was surface area. If you remember the telescopic antenna, the more you extend them, the more surface area you gain and the better they work.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:43:55 AM by CVO Limited »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »

Okay so here's the out come. I took off the front of the fairing and listened to two different hard to get radio stations. There was mostly static in both of them. I then installed the hidden antenna. Both stations came in a lot better and almost all the static was gone. I then installed the Y splitter with both antennas connected. Most of the static was gone but not as good as with just the hidden antenna. Using both antennas with the Y splitter was better than stock but not as good as with the hidden antenna alone.

To me it was worth spending the $12.00 for the splitter to try to find out. Now I'm not cruising around wondering what if.

Have you considered the possibility that the cable to the standard antenna is damaged somewhere between the radio and the antenna?  Sure sounds like that could be the case to me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Limited

• TN

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:11 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that the cable to the standard antenna is damaged somewhere between the radio and the antenna?  Sure sounds like that could be the case to me.

Jerry

I'm not sure that's the problem but I will look. I do get stations and some signal from a station that's about 50 miles away. It that this is the weakest reception of any radio in any vehicle I've ever been in.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »

Kind of related...

Lately I've only been listening to my XM Radio, but getting tired of loosing the signal so often riding the roads we all love to ride.

Has anyone ever used some kind of power booster/amp to bump up the signal strength of their XM receiver?

Why do I never loose my favourite XM station in my truck, but often do on my bike (in the same areas)?  :nixweiss:

There must be a reason for it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.