Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lithium Ion Battery  (Read 675 times)

Shawrco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTC Vivid Black (soon to be for sale!)
Lithium Ion Battery
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:47:30 AM »

Anyone have problems with the Lithium battery? I just had the third one go dead since last November! Got a call a few weeks ago from H-D customer "care"; they told me I should keep a tender on it if I didn't ride every week... I didn't have to do that with the old lead acid! Was supposed to last longer, more efficient. I don't care if it's a lot smaller/lighter, I'm going back old school, almost - glass matt.
Curious to hear others experience.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Joe B

Homer 661

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Lithium Ion Battery
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »

After researching the Lithium pro's n con's I went with an AGM (Yuasa GYZ32HL) because of the CCA's and it has a handhold molded into the case which makes RnR a breeze.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »

The lithium battery offered by Harley isn't worth buying and I've read somewhere the vendor admitted it wasn't actually designed for motorcycle use.  If you want a good one, check the aftermarket.  Antigravity seems to be a brand with many positive reviews, we have a few members that have been using them for more than five years without problems.

If you let your bike sit for several weeks without riding, no matter what kind of battery you use it will eventually become discharged.  Parts of the electrical system always draw current as long as the battery is connected.  However, it is not necessary to keep a bike on a Battery Tender all the time.  Anyone who tells you that doesn't know what he's talking about, or doesn't know how to diagnose and fix the problem you have and is blowing you off.  There are specs (check the Electrical and Diagnostics Manual for your bike) for current draw of all the components; get the specs and have the actual draw tested; the Milliamp Draw Test for those items that draw current with the engine off, and the Total Current Draw Test for when the engine is running to make sure you have more charging output than you have current draw from all the accessories.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »

I have used Antigravity batteries for years now and love them. Then one in my 12 Roadglide is 4 years old and still turns over the motor (S&S 124) like a Honda. I will always replace stock batteries when they need replacing with a AG LI
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »

I have used Antigravity batteries for years now and love them. Then one in my 12 Roadglide is 4 years old and still turns over the motor (S&S 124) like a Honda. I will always replace stock batteries when they need replacing with a AG LI

Why were you keeping that a secret?  I don't remember you telling me that?   :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.