Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated Grips on Road King CVO  (Read 8819 times)

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
Heated Grips on Road King CVO
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »

SO...my dealer says "no way" the wiring for the heated grips is going to fit internal on the 1 1/4" fat bars on my 08 flhrse4. BUT..the same heated grips are wired internally on the Ultra (?). Can anyone shed light on wiring in the grips? what's the problem?
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Heated Grips on Road King CVO
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »

dumb-ass dealer is the problem. if someone here has the SEUC supplemnet manual they can get you the P/N and any specific installation steps
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 09:17:43 PM »

SO...my dealer says "no way" the wiring for the heated grips is going to fit internal on the 1 1/4" fat bars on my 08 flhrse4. BUT..the same heated grips are wired internally on the Ultra (?). Can anyone shed light on wiring in the grips? what's the problem?
Get a different dealer. I have heated grips on my 07. Work great.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

08roadkingse

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm sure it can be done. Sometimes you have to think outside the MoCo's intruction sheets.

Ps. I ordered the grips, they'll be figuring it out soon.
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

nightvet

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Annie SERK
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 02:48:27 AM »

Let us know how it works out. I think the reason they said it wouldn't work is that the '08 SERK has a new fat bar which is not on the '07 SERK and I believe the '08 SEUC does not have the fat bars, either.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

Lots of folks on this site have had multiple failures with the H-D heated grips.  You might want to consider a different approach:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14373.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14653.0

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 10:30:37 PM »

Let us know how it works out. I think the reason they said it wouldn't work is that the '08 SERK has a new fat bar which is not on the '07 SERK and I believe the '08 SEUC does not have the fat bars, either.

The SERK 1 1/4" bar is really a 1" bar on the inside with another piece of tubing slipped over it and bent together to make the handlebar "assembly", so the grips should work the same regardless.  You are correct that the SEUC has the thinner bar.  It would be difficult and costly to manufacture a different inner fairing to accommodate the thicker bars or to stop the thicker tubing just before it enters the inner fairing.  Why is it so often that the parts / service guys at the dealers will not stop and admit that they don't know everything and look into a SE issue before blurting out the wrong answer?

08roadkingse

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »

I'm hoping to find out next week whether they can do it the right way. BTW, I was with the owner of my local dealer explaining what I wanted to do and showed him on a 07 SE Ultra that the wires where hidden and that the bars where stock diameter; he was shocked!
'08 FLHSRE4

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »

Not sure what he is talking about.  In the catalogue it says that heated grips can only be fitted to the standard bars but as you have quite rightly pointed out, they are on the Ultra.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »

As Jerrry (grc) pointed out, you might want to rethink the HD heated grips.  For one, they do not recommend installations with internal wiring, even though they do it themselves on the SEUC's and have since '06.  They WILL wire up, and the wires can be run internally.  The second thing is that almost every pair will fail sooner or later.

The dealers do not want to install these because it is a PITA to pull the wires into the bars....you will have a 90 day warranty unless they are installed prior to delivery, or come stock, like the SEUC.

A much simpler and easier install is the Heat Demons, and they work well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

08roadkingse

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »

Update: Apparently I'm insane. (Insanity defined as doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result). Brought my RK in for service and asked them if they'd since had any success putting the heated grips on the 08 bikes. No problem, we can do it. Bike came back with the heated grips in the saddlebag; can't do it, wires won't go through the bars. Too involved and a problem with the fly by wire (although the package says that's what they're designed for. Square one, here I come.

I can't see how fishing the wire for the Heat Demons is any different then fishing the wire for the HD model? The PITA factor seems equal. Any thoughts?

And by the way, I know have a set of heated grips for sale, 08 TOuring Ironside collection. MAKE AN OFFER!
'08 FLHSRE4

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 12:25:52 PM »

Update: Apparently I'm insane. (Insanity defined as doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result). Brought my RK in for service and asked them if they'd since had any success putting the heated grips on the 08 bikes. No problem, we can do it. Bike came back with the heated grips in the saddlebag; can't do it, wires won't go through the bars. Too involved and a problem with the fly by wire (although the package says that's what they're designed for. Square one, here I come.

I can't see how fishing the wire for the Heat Demons is any different then fishing the wire for the HD model? The PITA factor seems equal. Any thoughts?

And by the way, I know have a set of heated grips for sale, 08 TOuring Ironside collection. MAKE AN OFFER!

Once again the dealer is giving you a pile of sh*t. The grips WILL work TBW or not. They are difficult to install so they probably just did not want to do it. The heat demons are much easier to fish through the bars as the wires are a smaller guage and they come with a thin long piece of plactic that make the job pretty easy.

My best advise, forget the dealer, find a good Indy and have them put the heat demons in 8)

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.