Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Nolan N102 NCOM w/bluetooth and wireless intercom.......  (Read 16524 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Nolan N102 NCOM w/bluetooth and wireless intercom.......
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »

A review:

I arrived at Jim's (hd_dude) shop this morning......my Nolan basic and bluetooth kits had arrived.  Terrie and I got the Nolan N-102 NCOM helmets a few weeks ago but the electronic stuff took awhile longer.

Jim put the basic kit and bluetooth kits into the helmets and we turned them on.  Had trouble with contact in one that I later figured to be the contacts from the e-kit to the battery pack.  I just bent the prongs out just a bit, to add more tension to the contacts and all is good. 

Jim put on one helmet and I put on the other.  He in his office and I walked back into the shop and over to the roll up door.  It was clear reception until I got near the roll up door.  Walls, motorcycles and roll up door, reception was better than I had expected in that environment.  We then went outside.  In a straight line of view (no obstructions) we were clear up to about 50 or 60 feet but could hear each other further with some breaking up.  So, two or more bikes riding in a group, these things should work fine.

I made a call to Terrie, doing 45 mph and she didn't even hear the bike.  I called Jim and got the same report.  I called Ernie and as I was talking to him I got on the freeway and accelerated like I normally do, up to 85 mph and he couldn't hear the bike.  I had a little trouble hearing him but after we hung up, I then learned that I had the volumne turned almost all the way down.

All of that is completly wireless!

But a bonus that I didn't know or consider prior to buying it, is the MP3 cable.  I plugged it straight into my GPS (that has XM radio)!  I was able to get Bluesville in stereo through my helmet speakers.  I could actually hear my stereo at 100 mph, even with the face shield open. 

I'd recommend this helmet/bluetooth set up to anybody that rides with a passenger or looking for any of the above features.  If you're looking for this set up, contact Jim......he's going to carry the Nolan line and he's one of the few that actually can order the NCOM kits for you.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Nolan N102 NCOM w/bluetooth and wireless intercom.......
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »

what it need just to get intercom working?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »

what it need just to get intercom working?

There are two ways of doing the intercom......the cheaper way, of course, is with the cables.  I wanted the wireless feature so both helmets require the bluetooth.  It's not cheap.....I think I just made the next two or three payments on Jim's shop. :'(
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »

but besides the headset, is there another module to make it all work? something to switch between inercom/phone/music?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »

but besides the headset, is there another module to make it all work? something to switch between inercom/phone/music?

Neal, I've been using this for over a year now.  And for several months with the Bluetooth capable Garmin unit.  JC is going to like it a lot the more he uses it.  Very nice combination of equipment. 

The Nolan N-Com Bluetooth module can only pair to one device though.  Unless it's been updated since I got mine it also has no polling or autoswitching routine.  So if you wanted to move it from a phone pairing to another helmet pairing for intercom purposes you'd have to go through it's full pairing process each time.  That is not a big deal.  It's just not automatic.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:53:41 PM »

Neal, I've been using this for over a year now.  And for several months with the Bluetooth capable Garmin unit.  JC is going to like it a lot the more he uses it.  Very nice combination of equipment. 

The Nolan N-Com Bluetooth module can only pair to one device though.  Unless it's been updated since I got mine it also has no polling or autoswitching routine.  So if you wanted to move it from a phone pairing to another helmet pairing for intercom purposes you'd have to go through it's full pairing process each time.  That is not a big deal.  It's just not automatic.
Is the MP3 player stereo thru Bluetooth, or only when helmet is wired directly into the GPS. I've been told that Bluetooth doesn't transmit in stereo. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:55:28 PM »

Is the MP3 player stereo thru Bluetooth, or only when helmet is wired directly into the GPS. I've been told that Bluetooth doesn't transmit in stereo. :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

The Bluetooth connection is mono.  If you want stereo audio in the lid it has to come through the wired connection.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:59:16 PM »

The Bluetooth connection is mono.  If you want stereo audio in the lid it has to come through the wired connection.
Thanks, that confirms what I've heard.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:55:30 AM »

I would like to have a wireless intercom system, but it seems like there are a few trade offs.  Right now, using the wired set up, my only capability gap is I cannot make phone calls.  From what Don describes, I'd be able to do that if I had a wireless intercom system, but I'd loose the intercom capability while talking on the phone......if I'm understanding this right.  Further, as far as the Bluetooth thing goes, if the ZUMO, or any other device, is paired to a phone, can it pair with a wireless headset at the same time?
I don't really mind the cable......except that I'm always knocking it loose.  Seems sorta bassackwards to give up functionality to gain less functionality tho'.  Next thing you know we're gonna look like an antenna farm or a wiring harness as we cruise down the road.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »

It's all right in the helmet.  Extremely thing workings that fit inside cavitys of the helmet liner.  Surprisingly, the helmet is still the most comfortable helmet that I've ever put on my head, even with the kits installed.  All of the operations are done with three buttons.....volumn up, volumn down and the on/off...mode change button.

West Coast GTG   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »

I would like to have a wireless intercom system, but it seems like there are a few trade offs.  Right now, using the wired set up, my only capability gap is I cannot make phone calls.  From what Don describes, I'd be able to do that if I had a wireless intercom system, but I'd loose the intercom capability while talking on the phone......if I'm understanding this right.  Further, as far as the Bluetooth thing goes, if the ZUMO, or any other device, is paired to a phone, can it pair with a wireless headset at the same time?
I don't really mind the cable......except that I'm always knocking it loose.  Seems sorta bassackwards to give up functionality to gain less functionality tho'.  Next thing you know we're gonna look like an antenna farm or a wiring harness as we cruise down the road.

Henry, you can have the helmet's Bluetooth module paired to some other device and still have intercom function.  It'll just be a wired intercom between the two lids.  The helmets basic audio package is a kit that includes the speakers and mic along with wired leads for the battery charger, audio aux input and wired intercom.

If Zumo or 2820 (for examples) are paired to the phone the Garmin unit can also can pair to the helmet.  The Garmin can pair to two devices.  So it is the bridge between the phone and the helmet that also allows other Garmin functions to get to the helmet.

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 01:34:27 PM »

Henry, you can have the helmet's Bluetooth module paired to some other device and still have intercom function.  It'll just be a wired intercom between the two lids.  The helmets basic audio package is a kit that includes the speakers and mic along with wired leads for the battery charger, audio aux input and wired intercom.

If Zumo or 2820 (for examples) are paired to the phone the Garmin unit can also can pair to the helmet.  The Garmin can pair to two devices.  So it is the bridge between the phone and the helmet that also allows other Garmin functions to get to the helmet.

Bike Tech......... ???

Are headsets available for installation in helmets?  Really don't need anymore helmets.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 03:20:16 PM »

Bike Tech......... ???

Are headsets available for installation in helmets?  Really don't need anymore helmets.

Henry, there are more and more kits all the time to add Bluetooth or wireless intercom functions to existing helmets.  Some have been pretty poor.  There's enough out there anymore, over a wide enough price range, that a bit of homework is warranted before diving in.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »

Bike Tech......... ???

Twolane pretty much covered it.  Nolan took it a step further than the others.......it's all built into the helmet so you don't have  a big box hanging off the side of your helmet.  The other thing is the size of the mic on Nolan is much smaller than most.....making it a lot more comfortable inside a full face or flip face.  Again, one of the main reasons that I went with this set up is the built in feature and the wireless feature......the two together make it unbeatable in my opnion.

Having said that......I told Jim today "now that I made this investment, with my kind of luck, it'll be obsolete in 90 days and they'll come out with another model that automatically switches back and forth from intercom, to cell, to XM or ipod at the touch of a button".

West Coast GTG   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »

Twolane pretty much covered it.  Nolan took it a step further than the others.......it's all built into the helmet so you don't have  a big box hanging off the side of your helmet.  The other thing is the size of the mic on Nolan is much smaller than most.....making it a lot more comfortable inside a full face or flip face.  Again, one of the main reasons that I went with this set up is the built in feature and the wireless feature......the two together make it unbeatable in my opnion.

Having said that......I told Jim today "now that I made this investment, with my kind of luck, it'll be obsolete in 90 days and they'll come out with another model that automatically switches back and forth from intercom, to cell, to XM or ipod at the touch of a button".

It's actually a bit frustrating JC.  As nice as these things are, and they are, after you use them for awhile you realize there are some limitations they could have eliminated with little more than software differences.  It's obvious they had some very fixed goals in mind without forethought to later changes. 

They actually have done some changes.  When I got my N-Com unit it was 10 months or more before they were available here in the states.  Picked it up in London one trip.  Now 18 months or so later the module has more HF pairing options and it's phone library is a bit larger.  But those are the only uprades they've made. 

It is cool.  It works well; very well actually.  Mixing it with the Garmin unit makes for a very slick combination indeed.  Just with they'd given it a bit more flexiblity or the ability to accept firmware updates.  Because with very little difference it could be better than it is.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »

By the way, if anyone gets interested in Bluetooth connectivity in a lid that doesn't have this kind of capability built in to it here is one place that offers several options:

www.airrider.com

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 11:54:31 PM »

Thanks for all this great info.  I have plenty of homework to do now.   :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:49 AM »

Thanks for all this great info.  I have plenty of homework to do now.   :2vrolijk_21:

So what did you end up with Roger? :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »

Got the latest issue of American Rider in the mail today.  They have an article about the Nolan N-Com with bluetooth.  Their review is pretty much what mine is.......the best thing going for wireless intercom coupled with stereo and phone. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »

This thread covers the Nolan N-102 with wireless intercom and bluetooth pretty well. 

Thought I'd let everybody know that....Jim (hd-dude) has officially become a Nolan dealer. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 10:27:59 PM »

This thread covers the Nolan N-102 with wireless intercom and bluetooth pretty well. 

Thought I'd let everybody know that....Jim (hd-dude) has officially become a Nolan dealer. :2vrolijk_21:

EXCELLENT!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »

does anyone have input on how well the intercom works? Distance? and is it confirmed that you need to repair each time you switch between devices? i.e. phone, GPS, intercom?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »

does anyone have input on how well the intercom works? Distance? and is it confirmed that you need to repair each time you switch between devices? i.e. phone, GPS, intercom?

The N-Com module does mate to only one device at a time.  If will automatically reattach to whatever device it is paired to if the pair of devices are so set up.  Wanting to pair to a different device does mean taking it through the process again.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 12:30:31 AM »

The intercom works excellent. For pairing you can have it set up to another NCOM and a blue tooth device at the same time. There is no need to repair when you switch from intercom to phone use.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »

The intercom works excellent. For pairing you can have it set up to another NCOM and a blue tooth device at the same time. There is no need to repair when you switch from intercom to phone use.
[/quote

(Jim hd-dude )set Bandanagirl's and mine up and we rode to Sedona the distance was about a quarter to half a mile with no problem, but it has to be a clear shot, if a truck or we went around a mountain and lost site of each other we lost connection.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 02:19:59 AM »

Jim, there would be if it was two N-Com bluetooth modules paired together as a wireless intercom.  They would each be the other's single pairing.  Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought that was the configuration the question was addressing.  As the question also asked about switching between any devices re-pairing would also be necessary there. 

Unless the N-Com bluetooth modules have been upgraded since I got mine a couple of years ago they only pair to one device at time.  And that's the only device they can seek.  If they can still only pair to one device at a time then wireless intercom to another N-Com bluetooth module would be the device's only pair.  To then reconnect back to a phone, GPS or other device would require going through the pairing process again.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »

So the way it sounds. I can pair to another Ncom intercom, and pair to another device, say a phone, and 'switch' between them 'easily'.. without need of going through a pairing routine? That would work for me. Also i believe the Ncom is Stereo,, is this correct?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »

So the way it sounds. I can pair to another Ncom intercom, and pair to another device, say a phone, and 'switch' between them 'easily'.. without need of going through a pairing routine? That would work for me. Also i believe the Ncom is Stereo,, is this correct?

Correct, you can pair to another ncom AND a phone or other device at the same time. They are not stereo.

If you get a call while the two helmets are connected via blue tooth intercom you answer the phone by pressing the On button briefly. When the call is completed hang up by pressing the on button for 2 seconds then press the up button to reconnect intercom mode.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »

Jim, there would be if it was two N-Com bluetooth modules paired together as a wireless intercom.  They would each be the other's single pairing.  Perhaps I was mistaken but I thought that was the configuration the question was addressing.  As the question also asked about switching between any devices re-pairing would also be necessary there. 

Unless the N-Com bluetooth modules have been upgraded since I got mine a couple of years ago they only pair to one device at time.  And that's the only device they can seek.  If they can still only pair to one device at a time then wireless intercom to another N-Com bluetooth module would be the device's only pair.  To then reconnect back to a phone, GPS or other device would require going through the pairing process again.

Don, see reply #27.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 11:10:32 AM »

Don, see reply #27.

Interesting.  That's a significant difference from mine.  It will pair to one device at a time; period.  Doesn't matter whether it's another N-Com bluetooth module or some other bluetooth device; just one pairing at a time.  Both in practice and in documentation it works that way.

Being able to pair to two bluetooth devices without having to go through the pairing process would be a real convenience.  Mine was from their very early production.  Well before they were ever released here in the states.  May have to consider an upgrade....  :-\

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »

Correct, you can pair to another ncom AND a phone or other device at the same time. They are not stereo.

If you get a call while the two helmets are connected via blue tooth intercom you answer the phone by pressing the On button briefly. When the call is completed hang up by pressing the on button for 2 seconds then press the up button to reconnect intercom mode.

got it,, thanks a bunch..

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »

Jim, very much appreciate the info.  Mine has worked so well I'd not checked on a upgrade path.  Glad to hear the devices have gotten more capable.  Now wonder how long it will be before this thread costs me $$$ too ::) ?

hogasm

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

Mine works great...just wish I could get the volume a tad bit higher........has nothing to do with my bike being loud either :coolblue:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:45 PM »

Interesting.....ours can go  almost too loud.

We've sure got spoiled with them.  I took my 14 year old grandaughter to Hollister last weekend and forgot to take the chargers for the helmets.  When they went dead, I'm so used to them that I tried several times to answer my phone in the helmet or talk to my grandaughter.  I just kept forgetting that they weren't on....

Amazing, the things that we can't live without, once we get used to them.

West Coast GTG   

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »

Mine works great...just wish I could get the volume a tad bit higher........has nothing to do with my bike being loud either :coolblue:

I cured this issue on another system by making sure that the speaker in the helmet is right where my ear is. Originally it was placed a bit higher and I also wondered why at speed I can not hear much.

Now its too loud at maximum volume so I use some average settings. Try playing with location of your speaker.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »

Interesting.....ours can go  almost too loud.

We've sure got spoiled with them.  I took my 14 year old grandaughter to Hollister last weekend and forgot to take the chargers for the helmets.  When they went dead, I'm so used to them that I tried several times to answer my phone in the helmet or talk to my grandaughter.  I just kept forgetting that they weren't on....

Amazing, the things that we can't live without, once we get used to them.

So you missed, 'are we there yet', or 'i gotta go to the bathroom'  ;D

hogasm

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »

I cured this issue on another system by making sure that the speaker in the helmet is right where my ear is. Originally it was placed a bit higher and I also wondered why at speed I can not hear much.

Now its too loud at maximum volume so I use some average settings. Try playing with location of your speaker.

I'll try that...Thanks :2vrolijk_21:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 02:04:50 AM »

I've got a question... Sting is trying to sell his Nolan w/ BT. My several questions are: now that my HD BT module has stopped working and there is no foreseeable replacement, what do I do? I like all of the functions of the HD unit: cell phone, stereo, intercom, and CB radio. The CB is great when riding in a group (if Chuck leaves his Tour Pak on  ;D). Being wired is not that much of a problem. Linda is using a half helmet w/ the stock headset installed. She has all of the functionality that I do. Is there another way to achieve this same functions without buying an obsolete HD part (BT Module)? If I buy Sting's helmet for Linda does that necessitate me purchasing another 'system' for my existing helmet? Again, I'd like keep the CB radio and all of the functions I already have.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »

I've got a question... Sting is trying to sell his Nolan w/ BT. My several questions are: now that my HD BT module has stopped working and there is no foreseeable replacement, what do I do? I like all of the functions of the HD unit: cell phone, stereo, intercom, and CB radio. The CB is great when riding in a group (if Chuck leaves his Tour Pak on  ;D). Being wired is not that much of a problem. Linda is using a half helmet w/ the stock headset installed. She has all of the functionality that I do. Is there another way to achieve this same functions without buying an obsolete HD part (BT Module)? If I buy Sting's helmet for Linda does that necessitate me purchasing another 'system' for my existing helmet? Again, I'd like keep the CB radio and all of the functions I already have.

Hard10,

Curious what range you get with your CB? I haven't tried mine but was always wondering if it is a mere toy or does it 'really' work? Going through the manual is driving me nuts to.. I hope it is easier to operate then what manual implies.

hogasm

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »

Hard10,

Curious what range you get with your CB? I haven't tried mine but was always wondering if it is a mere toy or does it 'really' work? Going through the manual is driving me nuts to.. I hope it is easier to operate then what manual implies.

I can tell you that in 03 while heading to  Milwaukee, there was a huge wreck in Chicago. We used the CB to talk to truckers that had gone through there and found an alternative route around the wreck.

Probably a couple of miles range.....but it was enough

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »

I can tell you that in 03 while heading to  Milwaukee, there was a huge wreck in Chicago. We used the CB to talk to truckers that had gone through there and found an alternative route around the wreck.

Probably a couple of miles range.....but it was enough

Im getting ready to play with the CB. Just finished reading the FM on the darn thing. Also ordered a Nolan N42, wtih bluetooth and other goodies. I should have never ventered to this thread.. There goes my seat budget.. For now anyway..

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »

Hard10,

I guess Brian said it best: a couple of miles, but that's all I ever need. I mostly use it when group riding. It's nice to know where the last rider is (right Jorge?  ;D (it's usually MJZ but he doesn't have a radio ;D)) Operation is pretty straight forward. Select a channel and use the PTT button on the handle bar. It automatically goes back to the radio (music) when there is no noise. Noise can be controlled by the squelch also on the thumb control.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »

J&M has a neat bluetooth communicator that works through a Garmin 550. From what I've read, you still maintain the factory harness, headsets and all functionality. The ticker you have to perform a toggle when you get a call or send a call and this may not be so much of a pain. I understand quality is excellent but thats a salesman making a pitch. Have any of you looked at this. Hard10 this may work for you. From what i have read in attached manual. i think i like it... Anyone have any hands-on input for this.. see attached pdf..
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 21 queries.