Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kuryakyn 4889 Panacea Taillight w/Turn-Brake-Pulse  (Read 6692 times)

Shootpool

Kuryakyn 4889 Panacea Taillight w/Turn-Brake-Pulse
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »

Hi Everyone.

I've installed a Kuryakyn 4889 Panacea Taillight on my last three FLH's and have had to replace the controller four (4) times. >:( Just wanted to know if I'm the only guy who has had this problem?  :nixweiss: I talked with the warranty division and they stated that the controller on my bike is the wrong one. I told them it was enclosed in the box when I purchased it. I get about a year to a year and a half for each one. Is this built in obsolesense or just bad luck?
If I remove the Kuryakyn controller, does someone else make a compatable component to replace this?

Thanks for your help :bananarock:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Kuryakyn 4889 Panacea Taillight w/Turn-Brake-Pulse
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

Hi Everyone.

I've installed a Kuryakyn 4889 Panacea Taillight on my last three FLH's and have had to replace the controller four (4) times. >:( Just wanted to know if I'm the only guy who has had this problem?  :nixweiss: I talked with the warranty division and they stated that the controller on my bike is the wrong one. I told them it was enclosed in the box when I purchased it. I get about a year to a year and a half for each one. Is this built in obsolesense or just bad luck?
If I remove the Kuryakyn controller, does someone else make a compatable component to replace this?

Hi and welcome.  I've run the Panacea taillight & turn signals on 3 bikes over 7 years with same controller.  Just last month had to replace it because sometimes the arrow on the taillight would be opposite the turn signal - left turn signal blinking and taillight has right arrow, wtf.  Kury suspected controller and that was the problem but I did get 7 years out of it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

LUV2RYD

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »

Hi and welcome.  I've run the Panacea taillight & turn signals on 3 bikes over 7 years with same controller.  Just last month had to replace it because sometimes the arrow on the taillight would be opposite the turn signal - left turn signal blinking and taillight has right arrow, wtf.  Kury suspected controller and that was the problem but I did get 7 years out of it.

I have had two sets on my '07 and neither of them will last.  In doing further research I find that according to Kuryakyn the Panacea system is not compatable for the '07's and '08 SE's (according to their website charts now posted).  Now I'm looking for something else because I want more lighting than the single stock tail light.
'15 CVO Road Glide Ultra Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
'03 Heritage Classic 100th Silver/Blk

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »

I have had two sets on my '07 and neither of them will last.  In doing further research I find that according to Kuryakyn the Panacea system is not compatable for the '07's and '08 SE's (according to their website charts now posted).  Now I'm looking for something else because I want more lighting than the single stock tail light.

Deluxe Application Fits '91-'08 FLSTC/N (ex. '05-'08 FLSTN), '02-'08 FLSTF, '91-'08 Dresser/Road King (ex. '07-'08 FLHRSE), '02-'08 Dyna (ex. FXDWG) '01 FXDX/T, and '02-'08 XL

Should work on SE Ultra.  Works fine on mine.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »

Hi Everyone.

I have all the paperwork from when my dad owned my SERK, including two letters to Kuryakyn regarding this light and the issues he had with it. 

He had a great dealer in Clearwater that took care of him despite not being the selling dealer (he bought the part somewhere else)!  But this was going back to 2003, same issue you are having...

Sean

LUV2RYD

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

Deluxe Application Fits '91-'08 FLSTC/N (ex. '05-'08 FLSTN), '02-'08 FLSTF, '91-'08 Dresser/Road King (ex. '07-'08 FLHRSE), '02-'08 Dyna (ex. FXDWG) '01 FXDX/T, and '02-'08 XL

Should work on SE Ultra.  Works fine on mine.

This is the response I received today from Kuryakyn Tech Support:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:39 AM
Subject: RE: Contact Us Form (kuryakyn.com)

Paul

The panacea will not work with the screamin eagle ultra . the extra lights in the trunk and bags conflict with the turn signals.

Richard,
Tech Support,
1-715-247-2983 Ext.150
1-715-247-5007 FAX

I replied that it certainly would have been helpful if they had included that exception on their website before I bought two sets of them and they both shot craps. 

I'm sure a refund check will be in the mail!!!

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »

This is the response I received today from Kuryakyn Tech Support:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:39 AM
Subject: RE: Contact Us Form (kuryakyn.com)

Paul

The panacea will not work with the screamin eagle ultra . the extra lights in the trunk and bags conflict with the turn signals.

Richard,
Tech Support,
1-715-247-2983 Ext.150
1-715-247-5007 FAX

I replied that it certainly would have been helpful if they had included that exception on their website before I bought two sets of them and they both shot craps. 

I'm sure a refund check will be in the mail!!!

I have had a pannacea since 03 on my fat boy and had to replace the controller once about 3 years ago.

I have had a new set on my 08 SE ultra for 3 months now and it seems to work fine so far.

Hope the tech guy was wrong about the SE, the regular ultras have brake lights in the tour pack too so I don't know why that would be a problem on the SE, plus the bags don't have any lights that I know of.

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

LUV2RYD

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:26:40 AM »

I have had a pannacea since 03 on my fat boy and had to replace the controller once about 3 years ago.

I have had a new set on my 08 SE ultra for 3 months now and it seems to work fine so far.

Hope the tech guy was wrong about the SE, the regular ultras have brake lights in the tour pack too so I don't know why that would be a problem on the SE, plus the bags don't have any lights that I know of.

DD
I have had them on two Ultra Classics with no problem and run them on our Softail Heritage without a problem.  But, I have gone thru sets on my SE in less than a year...and it sat in the garage a lot this winter.  It seems to be an issue with the turn signals.  I the tail/brake light seems to work but my SE just does not like the turn signals.  So now I'm back to stock signals but using the Kury chrome trim and lens. 

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »

I had a Panacea system on my 2006 ultra.  was riding w/Mr.We behind who noted that I had a bunch of dead LEDs.  The chrome on the rear turn signals also peeled off.

Not going Panacea again even if I could.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.