Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Pairing a fob to the alarm system  (Read 9972 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Pairing a fob to the alarm system
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:01:57 AM »

A week or so ago installed the Harley alarm system on the Road Glide.  Things got busy in the interim and didn't get around to mating the fob to the system until about a half hour ago.  It won't mate.  Anyone got any hints or clues.  I've either got an install problem, I'm simply doing something wrong or I'm too tired to have messed with it tonight.

It was a 2000 model.  Those require an install kit to add the complete alarm harness.  It's not in the bike to begin with like later year models.  So TSM is out, TSSM is in. Bank angle sensor is out and wired in to the new harness.  Siren is installed.  Power is to the system.

Bike starts and runs.  The security indicator in the dash lights up when the switch is turned on.  But the mating sequence of fob to alarm gets no response at any point through the initialization steps.

Any ideas will be appreciated.  Tomorrow with clear eyes it might work fine too.  Thanks guys.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Pairing a fob to the alarm system
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:16:15 AM »

Got a battery in the fob?

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:16:46 AM »

Don, in 2006 when leaving Maggie Valley, Otis (Randy) could not get his bike to run because it had taken him a moment too long while replacing a battery in his fob.  UnBaLaNcEd (Harry) had all the books about that key fob and what to do.  I think you have Harry's number, I'd give him a call if no one jumps in here with an answer. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:27:42 AM »

Got a battery in the fob?

Tried a couple of different fobs.  One with a known good battery.  Problem seems to be prior to that though.  The initialization process in the docs describes some response from the turn signals during the process but before actually using the fob itself.  I don't get that pre-fob response.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:29:57 AM »

Don, in 2006 when leaving Maggie Valley, Otis (Randy) could not get his bike to run because it had taken him a moment too long while replacing a battery in his fob.  UnBaLaNcEd (Harry) had all the books about that key fob and what to do.  I think you have Harry's number, I'd give him a call if no one jumps in here with an answer. 

Doubt it's a fob or fob/battery issue Candy.  Am wondering if there's some initializtion of the TSSM itself that has to be done when it has replaced a TSM or if there's some extra step in the initialization that is required if the battery has been disconnected.  Things like that are sometimes security measures though none of them are mentioned in the supplied docs.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »

Looked at this a bit more this morning.  Then took it for a ride until about 45 minutes ago.  Nice day.

No luck with the morning's tinkering.  All the lights on the bike work and cancel normally.  So I'm assuming no issue with the TSSM itself.  Upon starting the bike up the security system idiot light in the dash stays illuminated a few seconds after the engine has fired.  No as long as if a bulb is out.  Honestly not sure if it's telling me anything or not.

Tried the initialization process to set up the fob both with and without the siren unit attached.  Makes no difference.  During the initilization process there is a place where the signals are supposed to respond to the process with a couple of blinks.  That never happens.  There is no response of any kind that seems to be a response to any part of the initialization process.

Fortunately everything besides the newly installed alarm system works fine and normally.  So it's not a big worry.  Will ride it home tomorrow and, maybe, worry with it again then.  Hopefully someone here will have a suggestion or insight I've not found or had.  If not will be left with double-double checking all the connections.  Will also try to find any reference to see if my hazy memory of some initialization process for the TSSM is right or wrong.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »

I still have hearing damage from that morning !

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:22:21 AM »

I still have hearing damage from that morning !

Well, I don't even recall it!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »

Doubt it's a fob or fob/battery issue Candy.  Am wondering if there's some initializtion of the TSSM itself that has to be done when it has replaced a TSM or if there's some extra step in the initialization that is required if the battery has been disconnected.  Things like that are sometimes security measures though none of them are mentioned in the supplied docs.

Don, I can't offer any definite help on this one, but I do know that the later models have a "password learn" initialization requirement whenever the TSSM or ECM is changed.  You don't supply a password as such, it's just a procedure to let the modules interrogate each other the first time (kind of like a dating service, I suppose).  If there isn't any mention of it in the literature that came with the parts, try checking out the electrical & diagnostic manual for a '00-'02 model.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »

Back in old days 2001 - If you added fob or changed your battery in the fob the dealer had the only means to do it (At that time) so I agree with Jerry about a Password or hd tech tool is needed for that year.

My 01 owners manual stated the above about the Alarm System - I just thought it was the usuall HD farming for revenue :)

If the bike starts and runs fine "IT" doesn't know it has an alarm installed
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:14:03 PM by VAZHOG »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:49:18 PM »

Back in old days 2001 - If you added fob or changed your battery in the fob the dealer had the only means to do it (At that time) so I agree with Jerry about a Password or hd tech tool is needed for that year.

My 01 owners manual stated the above about the Alarm System - I just thought it was the usuall HD farming for revenue :)

If the bike starts and runs fine "IT" doesn't know it has an alarm installed

Don, I can't offer any definite help on this one, but I do know that the later models have a "password learn" initialization requirement whenever the TSSM or ECM is changed.  You don't supply a password as such, it's just a procedure to let the modules interrogate each other the first time (kind of like a dating service, I suppose).  If there isn't any mention of it in the literature that came with the parts, try checking out the electrical & diagnostic manual for a '00-'02 model.

Jerry

Thanks guys.  You're confirming a vague recollection I've had since stumbling upon this the other night. 

Have once before done an alarm install on a 2000 model touring bike.  Same drill.  TSM removal.  Harness addition.  Elimination of BAS.  Etc etc etc. 

Like now no mention in the supplied docs with the accessory kit of having to do anything but marry the fob to the bike.  But I thought I remembered it not working that time now eight years or so ago also.  And finally took that one to the dealer for them to do something.  Was so long ago wasn't sure of the recollection though.

Don't have an electrical manual for this bike.  As much as visiting the local service department is akin to passing kidney stones I'll hit them up one day sooner then later.  Since the turn signal part of the TSSM is behaving normally it's not as if any of this is worth fussing over at the moment.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

Well, I don't even recall it!

if memory serves you were already off on the road

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »

Got what will likely be an accurate confirmation of the solution to this problem.  Visited the dealership to borrow a look at the electrical and diagnostics manual.  It's apparently not a from-the-saddle task.

Got to take the bike to the shop.  Manual says Digital Technician has to be used to marry the new TSSM to the bike.  So you can buy the install kit.  You just can't use it without paying the shop their vig first.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »

Am going to stop working on bikes.  Took the SERG to the shop this afternoon to be hooked up to Digital Technician to marry the TSSM and ECM so they could live happily ever after and my alarm fobs would start working.  Did this because that's what the tech at the dealership told me yesterday needed to be done. 

No joy.

Different tech tells me today that this is only required on Delphi bikes.  On Marelli bikes there is no marriage necessary.  According to latest guidance supposed to be able to set the fobs immediately after installation.

They don't know why it's not working either (by the way).  But my TSSM and ECM are still just shacking up without benefit of matrimony.

As they'd quite rightly do the tech suggested double checking all the connections in case it's wired wrong.  All both of them.  So, of course, I will; one more time.

After that I think I'll try unplugging the Power Commander.  Perhaps there's some difference to be had there :nixweiss: ?

I don't expect it to make any difference.  But it's free and easy to try. 

After that guess I'll shell out for another TSSM and try again.  Or strip the hole mess out and forget it.

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »

Found this info pretty good.  Maybe it will help.

KEY FOB ASSIGNMENT

The key fob on TSSM motorcycles must be set so it will operate the alarm system on the vehicle.
This assignment must be completed with no pauses between steps greater than 10 seconds.
Turn the ignition OFF after all key fobs have been assigned.
The programming mode will also exit after 60 seconds has elapsed without detecting any fob signup messages
or turn signal switch activity.
Two key fobs may be assigned to the TSSM.
The first successful attempt to program a fob will disable all previously assigned fobs.
If a second fob is to be programmed, it must be done in the same programming sequence as the initial fob.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 21 queries.