Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LED Signal lighting for SEEG  (Read 2541 times)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
LED Signal lighting for SEEG
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »

Ok, I did a search and haven't found this question yet.  I am looking at changing out my rear brake light, and rear turnsignals, and front turnsignals.  I want LED.  I currently have generic small LED red bulbs in the rears, with the smoked lenses.  I have standard 1157 amber with smoked lenses in the front.  I have the stock taillight.  As I have red LEDs in the rear turns, I installed the Harley run/brake/turn module, and it works great.  However, the light heads are only about 1" and much smaller than the lens.

The full Panacea is too much for the styling of my bike.  Too busy.  But here is what I want:
Kuryakyn part #4825
These are the front amber signals, with smoked lenses.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3014

Kuryakyn part #4827
These are the rear red signals, with smoked lenses.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3018

Kuryakyn part #4874
This is the smoked LED taillight (run and brake).
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3011

After all of this explanation, here is my question:

Will these work like the bulbs I have now, with the Harley run/brake/turn module?  Or do I have to buy a Kuryakyn module?
Thanks in advance for all replies, and if anyone has this setup please let me see it!  Thanks again.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: LED Signal lighting for SEEG
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »

Will these work like the bulbs I have now, with the Harley run/brake/turn module?  Or do I have to buy a Kuryakyn module?
Thanks in advance for all replies, and if anyone has this setup please let me see it!  Thanks again.

I don't honestly know, but I do have the Kuryakyn lights you have numbers of except my LED taillight is red but have smoke front and rear turnlights.  Have had for over 2 years.

I also have the 4859 rear controller, 4857 alarm compatable load equalizer, and the 4837 load equalizer adapter.

Everything works the way that it should.  I also wired in load equalizer(s) for the front turnsignals under the fairing (they come with the front signals, can't remember if there was one or 2 of them for the front).  The rear equalizers simply plug in with the above adapter.

The front and rear LED turnsignals are single pins (not dual like a 1157 bulb). 

As much as these lights are, I would spend the extra money and use all Kuryakyn parts even though the MOCO controller you have could work.  I went directly from stock to the Kuryakyn items.

If you don't have  a source for the lights, I bought mine from Mark at www.mandmcycles.com  and got about 20% off list. Hope this helps a little.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:37:26 PM by Boatman »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:52:34 PM »

Picture from the front:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »

Rear:

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:43:23 AM »

Alright, thank you for the info and photos...anyone else have info on this?

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »

Boatman...do you have any info on where you wired the load equalizer in under the fairing?  I can't find anything online about why this should be done.  Everything I find says that I might need to install two equalizers under the seat.  It's very confusing and I am now waiting on a $15 adapter for the wiring harness that plugs two equalizers in without splicing.  Regardless, I wish that this was more clear.  I installed the front lights and they both turn on.  However, the right signal flashes quickly when I turn it on, and the left signal flashes only the rear light...not the front.  Thanks!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »

Boatman...do you have any info on where you wired the load equalizer in under the fairing?  I can't find anything online about why this should be done.  Everything I find says that I might need to install two equalizers under the seat.  It's very confusing and I am now waiting on a $15 adapter for the wiring harness that plugs two equalizers in without splicing.  Regardless, I wish that this was more clear.  I installed the front lights and they both turn on.  However, the right signal flashes quickly when I turn it on, and the left signal flashes only the rear light...not the front.  Thanks!

Once you get your adapter that plugs in under the seat near the front of the rear fender (goes where the rear wiring harness and main wiring harness comes together), you can plug your alarm compatable load equalizers in there.  If everything works ok, you are done.  If not, remove the fairing and there is a violet and brown colored wires for the front turnsignals and I wired in there.  A shop manual comes in handy here to find the front signal wires.  I don't remember exactly why I wired in the front load equalizers but I remember seeing them under my fairing.  Wish I could help more.  I believe you will be ok once you get the adapter and the equalizers put in under the seat.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »

Since HDBrad just asked me some of the same - here is my answer to him.

Brad - yes did the lights. I got all the stuff from Hog City Lites http://www.hogcitylites.com/

They are very bright. The LED's, strobe module and run-turn module were all different brands and the tail light requires work. They charge $70 to do the mod, so the taillight ends up costing $200.

Overall I am impressed. I had one LED module have four dead LED's when I got it and one module died within a week. They promptly sent out new parts, had them in a day.

The owners wife has a SE dyna, I tried talking them into joining our site - offering a discount but as of yet they have not done so. They are busy right now with events though.

Help any?

BTW, the thing that convinced to finally do the lights was walking by the display - the taillight module (not installed) was so bright you had to look away. Glenn has LED's in his taillight and it was because of his I never changed over.

The module I used was a DS bagged item from ????? It is a run turn brake module as well as a load equalizer, is flatter then the HD unit and and seems to be made better too. I also wired in a brake light strobe module when I did the lights. Both of these module are under the seat, nothing in the fairing. I have the same red bike pictured above.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »

Thanks guys!  I'll give it a try ASAP.

Doc

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »

Sigh....well the second one under the seat didn't work either...I guess I'll be taking off the fairing.  This was what I was concerned about in upgrading to LED.  It seems like there should be a hard and fast system, and there really isn't.    And Kuryakyn should know.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »

How dumb...

Ok after taking off the fairing and wiring in the load equalizer (which gets fricking hot) when it is in use...I have only one minor issue.  The blinkers work and the running lights work.

However, when the 4-way lights are on...the front signals alternate flashing...when the left is on, the right is off...and vice versa.

I tracked it back to the right LED...it is opposite of the right rear also...only time anyone would notice is the 4-ways...so I'm not gonna search too hard to find a fix.  How fricking frustrating...
for over $100 you would think Kuryakyn would figure out a good solution to post instructions or troubleshooting.  Oh...and have customer service on the weekends, when everyone is working on this stuff.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.