Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS help for Idiots  (Read 1509 times)

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
GPS help for Idiots
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »

I have some basic questions on Gps systems. In my recent research I see mp3 audio and voice promting, water proof ect ect . My questions are,  does the gps work as an mp3 player thru my stereo? Does the gps power of the bike? do the prompts come from the bike speakers? I would like these things but as all of us do, I have a budget. Which unit is the "man" or the best value? I travel north America only on a 05 seeg..... Help?????   
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
Re: GPS help for Idiots
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »

Yes, I guess depending on GPS model and the audio setup on the bike. My GPS has a slot for an SD card. I load MP3's on that. You could also load MP3's in the memory of the unit but I keep it seperate. The GPS can get power from the bike. I have mine wired to the back of the cigarette lighter on an 06 FLHTCUSE. I plug the output of the GPS to the AUX on the HK radio. When I switch the radio to AUX I can hear the voice prompts from the GPS or play the MP3's stored on the GPS to my speakers or to my helmet headset.

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: GPS help for Idiots
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »

I have some basic questions on Gps systems. In my recent research I see mp3 audio and voice promting, water proof ect ect . My questions are,  does the gps work as an mp3 player thru my stereo? Does the gps power of the bike? do the prompts come from the bike speakers? I would like these things but as all of us do, I have a budget. Which unit is the "man" or the best value? I travel north America only on a 05 seeg..... Help?????   
Recently many have been getting the Garmin Zumo 550 for use on our motorcycles. All the features you mention (mp3's, voice prompting, waterproof, playing mp3's thru stereo {with the use of a stereo patch cord}, and gps power from the bike) you will get w/the Zumo 550. For storage of mp3's I would suggest purchasing an additional SD Memory card because of the file size of mp3's and the limited storage capacity on the Zumo itself you will run out of room fast if you try putting a lot of songs on it.

Below is some information I share w/those that purchase a Zumo and you might find it will answer some of your questions/concerns....

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield for the Garmin Zumo 550. Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

MapSource software version 6.14.1 as of July 18, 2008. Don't try to use the update feature in the Mapsource program because it will not work. You will have to go directly to the previous link download it and then install. Note: You will have to do this w/all Mapsource updates.

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.5.2 as of March 28, 2008.

For those having problems with Mapsource or want to learn more about it try this - Mapsource Tutorial

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.