Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Mapsource Question  (Read 6852 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Mapsource Question
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »

I lost my HD and reformatted and am starting from scratch. My mapsource came with a handheld we bought a few years ago. I had been keeping it updated thru Garmin and was the latest version I think. But there was some lengthy procedure to install this if I recall. I have 2 discs from the handheld. Mapsource City Select V 3.00, and Trip and Waypoint Manager V 2.02. There's also some unlock code I recall messing around with. Is it still the same code even though I'm installing it again. Do you need to unlock, and/or reregister w/Garmin? Am I entitled to a new Version of Mapsource since I bought my Zumo less than a year ago? Anything else you can tell me about this would be helpful. I have the disc that came with my Zumo, still unopened. It's City Navigator NT, North America. Should I be using that instead? Where do you get the unlock code? You can tell I'm a little lost with this stuff. What should I be installing/doing to get back up to speed here? Thanks gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Mapsource Question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »

Where's Gary when you need him? :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

xjackx

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

Hoist, I don't know enough about the ZUMO to tell you which software to use but I can tell you my unlock code is on a yellow card that came with the disks.
Very simple to install.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »

I lost my HD and reformatted and am starting from scratch. My mapsource came with a handheld we bought a few years ago. I had been keeping it updated thru Garmin and was the latest version I think. But there was some lengthy procedure to install this if I recall. I have 2 discs from the handheld. Mapsource City Select V 3.00, and Trip and Waypoint Manager V 2.02. There's also some unlock code I recall messing around with. Is it still the same code even though I'm installing it again. Do you need to unlock, and/or reregister w/Garmin? Am I entitled to a new Version of Mapsource since I bought my Zumo less than a year ago? Anything else you can tell me about this would be helpful. I have the disc that came with my Zumo, still unopened. It's City Navigator NT, North America. Should I be using that instead? Where do you get the unlock code? You can tell I'm a little lost with this stuff. What should I be installing/doing to get back up to speed here? Thanks gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Howie, haven't done this myself in quite a while but I can tell you that you want to use the City Navigator NT, North American with you Zumo.  Probably version '2008' judging from when you bought your Zumo.  There is a newer version out and yes, I think you are entitled to it free of charge as you stated.  City Nav may not work on your handheld, no idea, but know for sure that is what you want for your Zumo.

Think you should have the unlock code on seperate paper somewhere in the stack of stuff you got with the Zumo.  But if all else fails when you get there I'd call Garmin tech support.  Hard to reach sometimes but they've always been great when I had a question or problem.

Hope this helps a little.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »

Thanks Jerry and Jack! So far so good I guess. Based on the above, I found a yellow paper with the unlock code on it. So I guess just follow the directions on the back of the CD jacket for City Navigator NT? I'll be using that now I guess. Anything special I need to know? Any tricks? Thanks again.

Hoist! 8)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:04:39 PM »

Thanks Jerry and Jack! So far so good I guess. Based on the above, I found a yellow paper with the unlock code on it. So I guess just follow the directions on the back of the CD jacket for City Navigator NT? I'll be using that now I guess. Anything special I need to know? Any tricks? Thanks again.

Hoist! 8)
Like you said Howie, just follow the directions.  When all else fails that's what I do, lol.  Seriously, I don't think you'll have any problem.  Pretty simple install.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »

Please... no mention of Gary and Zumo... I went through all 37 pages of posts last night in the Zumo tips thread... everything was fine till I stumbled on mention of him and some red thong... still traumatized today!!! :nervous:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »

Please... no mention of Gary and Zumo... I went through all 37 pages of posts last night in the Zumo tips thread... everything was fine till I stumbled on mention of him and some red thong... still traumatized today!!! :nervous:

He must be ordering his new SERG today, the one he plans to park in Mr. We's & my garage at 6 month intervals, since he doesn't have room in his.  No agreement has been reached as to thong storage.   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »

HeHe! :2vrolijk_21:

Well, I guess I should just jump in and try this chit out first before I ask. I installed it with no problems and it was simple as Jerry said. I remember having trouble the first time and had to call them. I wanted to avoid all that. This time it went very smooth. No clue how to use it, but it's in there now. Thanks for your help gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »

Hoist! 8)
It is important that you sign up to Garmin's website for updates of the firmware (if necessary) and the maps (if available). There should also be a white paper with a rather lenghty URL. If not, you need to call Garmin at 1-800-800-1020. They will point you to the right URL.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »

HeHe! :2vrolijk_21:

Well, I guess I should just jump in and try this chit out first before I ask. I installed it with no problems and it was simple as Jerry said. I remember having trouble the first time and had to call them. I wanted to avoid all that. This time it went very smooth. No clue how to use it, but it's in there now. Thanks for your help gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

I read the Zumo thread & scratch my head sometimes Howie.  It seems to help.  Not in using every newfangled feature of my Zumo, mostly it eases the itch on my head.

;)

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »

I read the Zumo thread & scratch my head sometimes Howie.  It seems to help.  Not in using every newfangled feature of my Zumo, mostly it eases the itch on my head.

;)

Mike

LOL Mike! ;D

It is important that you sign up to Garmin's website for updates of the firmware (if necessary) and the maps (if available). There should also be a white paper with a rather lenghty URL. If not, you need to call Garmin at 1-800-800-1020. They will point you to the right URL.

Ride safely,
Louis

What's the special URL for? There's a Web Updater application in the Garmin Folder, from the software I just installed. Isn't that used for Mapsource updates and Zumo firmware updates?

No white paper with a URL. Just the yellow paper with the unlock code. The only URL referenced ther is my.garmin.com. :nixweiss:

Thanks.

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 04:15:30 PM »

Web Updater seems to be for the Zumo. The Update for Mapsource is in Help in Mapsource. There's a 6.14.1.0 update available and it won't install. After it downloads, I get this error: "Invalid command line parameter (restart)." This pops up in a Window called "WinZip Self Extractor". It closes Mapsource and opens that window. Then click OK and everything's closed with no action taken. The update must be dowmloaded because when I try again, it only takes 2 secs for that, instead of the minute or so it took to download the first time. Friggin' computers! What am I doing wrong? All i did was click update! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »

No wonder I hate computers. I jumped on the Zumo Forum and searched for Mapsource updates. I found a link to the latest 6.14.1.0. It took you to some obscure Garmin website and I downloaded it again from there. Then it installed with no problem thru the same WinZip Self Extractor program that failed when I downloaded it from Mapsource. I'll never get this chit! :nixweiss:

I guess I'm updated now! The map looks prettier! :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »

Howie,

Web updater makes for a fairly seamless update path for your GPS software.

GO to the zumo page on the garmin site and follow the links for downloads - updates.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.