Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: headlights question  (Read 3637 times)

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
headlights question
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the new daymaker reflecter LED headlights are better than the daymakers, and which one is best?  Thanks

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: headlights question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the newer reflector LED is what the Truck Lights have always been.............BETTER!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:12 PM »

I don't know about the new "reflector" LED, but the Daymaker LED's are awesome  :2vrolijk_21: I installed the headlight and spot on my 11.5 and they are bright.

IMHO the Daymaker is aptly named as they truly are MUCH brighter than the Halogen lamps that were on the bike.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

The original Daymaker is a projector lamp, and of course the newer Reflector Daymaker version is a simpler and less expensive version that uses ancient reflector technology rather than the more precise projector technology.  In general terms, a projector lamp can be more efficient and have a more precisely aligned and controlled beam, and a reflector lamp tends to be less efficient and have more "scatter", or misdirected light.

One comment I've seen from several people with the original version is that they didn't like the narrowness of the light beam when riding in curves at night.  Perhaps that is due to the more focused beam pattern versus the pattern with more scatter from the reflector style headlamps. :nixweiss:  If I were you I'd try to talk to people with each type and specifically ask about that issue.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »

AS Jerry pointed out there's no "spilling" of light with the Daymakers the beam is much brighter and much more concentrated.

I did find that this fact left about a 20' area in front of the bike and off to the sides in darkness so I added some auxiliary lights from Kuryakin to address that issue. 
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »

With all the lights on:
notice the difference  in light output and also color/clarity between the LED's (headlight and spots) and the Halogen auxiliary lights.

All together I spent about 1k on the lighting. Yeah I know, that a lot of cash  :o  Would I spend the money again? YES - night time riding will never be the same only drawback so far is I have to ride in the lead when riding with friends because they want to see whats up ahead too  :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:11:01 PM by phato1 »

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »

as someone who put the LED lights on my 2009 CVO, moved them to my 2013 CVO and then traded them in when I bought my 14 CVO...the lights i bought and installed myself were brighter than the lights that came on my 14...I don't know why or how, but they were.  other riders have commented that they could see the headlight on my other bikes, better than they can see it on my 14.  it might not make sense, but that is what i have seen and been told
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »

The Daymaker is a great headlight that can shoot way out there.  But like others have stated,, not too good around the front of the bike...  I added the Daymaker passing lamps on my 12 street glide.   Angled them out wards slightly.  And all is all good now,,,  makes a big difference around the front of the bike and can see easily on the sides,,,,  Stuart.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:22:18 PM by cvostu »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

as someone who put the LED lights on my 2009 CVO, moved them to my 2013 CVO and then traded them in when I bought my 14 CVO...the lights i bought and installed myself were brighter than the lights that came on my 14...I don't know why or how, but they were.  other riders have commented that they could see the headlight on my other bikes, better than they can see it on my 14.  it might not make sense, but that is what i have seen and been told

Since the version you installed on the 2009/2013 and the version that came stock on the 2014 were the same (original projector version, not the reflector version), the difference could be nothing more than headlight aim.  Have you aimed the light on the 2014, or just left it as the factory installed it?  In my experience the factory doesn't aim the headlights and spots worth two dead flies.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »

just left them aimed as they came on the bike...that will be next
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »

I prefer the projector type LED (Daymaker) over the reflector type LED. Although they both produce bright white light that is great at night, I think the reflector type is less visible from head on during daylight. I ended up replacing a set of Truck-lite Phase 7 LEDs with HIDs on my Ultra.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »

Since the version you installed on the 2009/2013 and the version that came stock on the 2014 were the same (original projector version, not the reflector version), the difference could be nothing more than headlight aim.  Have you aimed the light on the 2014, or just left it as the factory installed it?  In my experience the factory doesn't aim the headlights and spots worth two dead flies.

Jerry

What should be addressed here is that the original Daymaker projectors from the P&A catalog and the Daymaker projectors that are OEM on the 2014s are NOT the same. They have a different connector, (which makes it easy to determine which you are comparing) but also, the lens elements are indeed different, the '14s elements are noticebly physically wider/ larger. No doubt, there will be SOME difference in light output and or pattern.
I have just added the '14 OEM Daymakers to my '10 Ultra. These are great lights and I love them, but I don't have a set of the P&A Daymakers to give you a performance comparison.
Apparently there are four (4) different LED lamps that the moco and the vendors have created just to add confusion

1.Trucklite Phase 7 reflector style (aftermarket only, not from HD)
2. HD Daymaker (Original projector or 'focus' type) P&A book item
3. HD Daymaker Reflector (similar to Phase 7) P&A book item
4. HD Daymaker (projector or 'focus' type) with HDLAN connector, similar appearance to #2 above (OEM part on some models 2014 and up)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:16:52 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

Has anyone tried the new Headwinds H-4 bulb? The are advertised as much brighter......but for 100 bucks, I wanna know for sure.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »

Has anyone tried the new Headwinds H-4 bulb? The are advertised as much brighter......but for 100 bucks, I wanna know for sure.

Is this the one you're talking about? 
http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=headwinds01&Product_Code=8-9030-H4&Category_Code=

If so, you might want to read this little note tucked away in the verbiage:
"This bulb is known to cause radio static (interference)"

Look at the comparison photo in the ad (copy attached below).  I seriously question using something that bright on public highways, and I can't imagine it being DOT approved or street legal. :nixweiss:

Jerry

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »

Is this the one you're talking about? 
http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=headwinds01&Product_Code=8-9030-H4&Category_Code=

If so, you might want to read this little note tucked away in the verbiage:
"This bulb is known to cause radio static (interference)"

Look at the comparison photo in the ad (copy attached below).  I seriously question using something that bright on public highways, and I can't imagine it being DOT approved or street legal. :nixweiss:

Jerry

WoW!! Running that bulb where I live would guarantee a pull if you met a Trooper.........no thanks for that hassle. I'm on the edge anyway with 7 headlights.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:47:28 PM by 2k »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »

I'd be afraid id be blinding the guy coming at me with that bright of a head light.  I'm sticking with the Daymaker (original) with the passing lamps.   Stuart

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »

Looks like it maybe be a good option for my Dyna, no radio. But I would like to find a cheap option for my next touring bike.how much static would that light create?
Supershooter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »

Looks like it maybe be a good option for my Dyna, no radio. But I would like to find a cheap option for my next touring bike.how much static would that light create?
Supershooter

I think the bigger worry might be dodging the gun shots from the people you pizz off with that light blasting them in the eyes at night.  And don't forget, when you blind the guy coming at you there is no guarantee he will stay in his lane or drift off to his right.

Jerry

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »

I think the bigger worry might be dodging the gun shots from the people you pizz off with that light blasting them in the eyes at night.  And don't forget, when you blind the guy coming at you there is no guarantee he will stay in his lane or drift off to his right.

Jerry

Are there govt standards or regs on headlight brightness? Lumens or candle measure?
Supershooter

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

I personally like the looks of the Daymakers on the Roadglide more then the new reflectors when the bike is off. might sound crazy but I love the looks of those lights and was disappointed that new new style RG didn't have them. I am curious if they will come up with a Daymaker option for the new bike?
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »

Are there govt standards or regs on headlight brightness? Lumens or candle measure?
Supershooter

Yes, there are government standards for maximum wattage, light output in lumens, color, and glare.  I imagine you would find them if you slogged through FMVSS 108, which is the standard that pertains to lighting, signaling, and reflective devices on motor vehicles.

Jerry

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »

Jerry, if there are regs, do these H-4 headlights fall within the legal "slot"? Or are they selling a product that'll get its customers into hot water?
Supershooter

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »

Jerry, if there are regs, do these H-4 headlights fall within the legal "slot"? Or are they selling a product that'll get its customers into hot water?
Supershooter

My guess is they are doing the same thing a lot of others are doing, selling things they know darned well are illegal but they assume no one will ever do anything about it.  You can find all kinds of stuff at your friendly auto parts stores that don't meet legal specifications, and you never hear of the Department of Transportation busting the sellers or the manufacturers.  It's a system built on a house of cards, where the government doesn't actually test all products but instead lets each manufacturer self-certify that they meet DOT regulations.  Some of these illegal products actually have DOT stamped on or molded into the parts, even though they really aren't compliant.  You know all those blue or green or pink headlight bulbs you see the kiddies using in their cars?  Absolutely illegal, and yet you can buy them at any auto parts store where they are sitting right out on the shelf in plain view.  There might be a tiny disclaimer on the package that says for off-road use only, but I think we all know how that works.  Harley has that disclaimer on all the illegal for street use stuff they sell the hell out of, knowing full well that most of it is going directly onto the bike the guy rode up on, not some off road racing bike or show bike.

Anyhow, whether it's legal or illegal, I wouldn't use it because I don't like doing to others what I hate having done to me.  I've been blinded many times in recent years by either illegal lights or grossly misaimed lights, and as I get older I have much less ability to tolerate that.  There's a reason older people don't like driving or riding at night as much as they did when they were younger.  So I guess you could say this is one of my hot button items.

Jerry

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »

You can find all kinds of stuff at your friendly auto parts stores that don't meet legal specifications, and you never hear of the Department of Transportation busting the sellers or the manufacturers.
    Jerry

It's not talked about much, but there actually quite a few examples. They are just not publicized. these are some in my area (TX) they vary by state.
    • "taillight tape" red and amber tapes for lens repair. Outlawed, actively pulled from parts stores
    • Aerosol can Halon fire extinguishers. Outlawed, actively pulled from parts stores
    • catalytic converter test pipes. Outlawed, actively pulled from parts stores (may have just been local)
    • Recent change in TX: blue headlamps are not allowed for state inspection...but remain for sale.
    A lot of the items that seem questionable are not illegal unless you install or use them in some illegal fashion. Q-beams aren't illegal....until you're caught hunting deer with one.
    Please don't make MY Q-beam illegal to buy.[/list]
    « Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:57:24 PM by MrSurly »
    Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
    Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013
    Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.