CVO Technical > Electronic Toys and Gadgets

Lithium vs AGM Battery

<< < (2/4) > >>

skratch:

--- Quote from: ltank on September 16, 2020, 10:16:33 PM ---OK guys. What's the better long  life battery for every day use? Normally I get 2.5 years of good service from AGM batteries in my 98 Road King S&S V124 and I got 3 years from the Lithium battery in my 2000
FXR4 S&S V111.  Both batteries seem to run out of steam guickly in colder weather.

--- End quote ---

no brainer here, imo.  if the agm battery lasted 2.5 years and the lithium only 3, then why spend the extra money for lithium for only 6 months additional?  i vote for the deka big crank or the yuasa gyz32hl (if you're talking about touring bikes).

regarding the early failure of the lithium in your fxr, did you let the battery 'warm up' in colder weather?  that's one of the downsides to the lithium battery, you have to give it a minute to wake up in the cold.

SDCVO:

--- Quote from: VRODDAVE on September 17, 2020, 04:33:31 PM ---Like I said I wish I could've gotten it for $550. I paid somewhere between seven and eight for the battery, and then I purchased the smaller jumper pack to carry velcro in my tour pack with a cable run down to the main battery in case I ever need to jump myself.

So how long does it last? I have no idea yet, I can only say that The antigravity battery guys  Told me they know people who have had antigravity  batteries for eight years and still going.    One nice thing about the a ATX 30 HD is that it has four posts. The two in front like a normal Harley battery and then two in the back that you can use for putting on accessories. Sounds like a simple thing but it has helped me greatly as I have many accessories .

--- End quote ---
I have run AG batteries for years and not only do they last for years (1 bike has their old style battery for 6 years now), they crank over (including my HC S&S 124) like a honda with their starting amps!
I dont like worrying about my batteries dying as I almost always ride alone and go to BFE on most rides. I was changing my stock batteries just about every 2 years so worth in to me.

iski:

--- Quote from: skratch on September 17, 2020, 09:33:19 PM ---no brainer here, imo.  if the agm battery lasted 2.5 years and the lithium only 3, then why spend the extra money for lithium for only 6 months additional?  i vote for the deka big crank or the yuasa gyz32hl (if you're talking about touring bikes).

regarding the early failure of the lithium in your fxr, did you let the battery 'warm up' in colder weather?  that's one of the downsides to the lithium battery, you have to give it a minute to wake up in the cold.

--- End quote ---

x2.  I usually get about 4 years out of an agm battery.  Keep it on a tender when not riding if at home. If a lithium lasts about 6 years, it's a no brainer for me unless the lithium price point drops.  A lot..

rayson56:
Another vote for the Deka's and such as I have several Deltran Battery tenders that I've been told won't work on the Lithium's therefore you need to lay more cash out for a special charger. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I usually get at least 3 or 4 years out of a good battery.

VRODDAVE:
Not trying to start a debate (pun intended).  But I would like to point out that lithium batteries when applied and engineered correctly are a superior technology.   Look around in your everyday life.   Everything from key fobs, laptops, cellular phones to E motorcycles and Tesla's have utilized or have transitioned to lithium.   We have all made the transition to lithium whether we wanted to or not.

Yes, there is a steep investment that goes along with the technology.   I guess the same could be said for extravagant expenses when making a decision to buy a CVO as opposed to straight stock Harley.

Just my two cents. I'll go back to my corner and be quiet ha ha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version