Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems after washing my bike  (Read 7127 times)

Jberb

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Problems after washing my bike
« on: May 28, 2021, 11:32:30 PM »

I just got a 2007 FXDSE. 20k miles, Vance & Hines pipes, heavy breather, power commander, led lights all around.
First weekend out I put about 500 miles on it with no problems at all. She ran perfect. Then I washed it...
I got the air filter wet (I know I'm an idiot. Let's skip that part). I then tried to start it with the wet air filter and ended up with a dead battery. Tried to jump ot off of my brothers car. Got it fired up a couple times but it wouldn't stay running long. Trailered it home. Took off the air filter and took out the spark plugs, plugged in the battery tender and let it sit for a couple days. Cleaned and recharged the air filter and replaced the plugs. It starts now first try but is running horrible and the tachometer lights up but doesn't work. I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Problems after washing my bike
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 11:56:49 AM »

Way too many possible options.  Basic troubleshooting though. Open up every connector that might have been hosed down.  Basically every connector.  Blow it out.  Maybe a little dielectric grease as it goes back together.  Check all the fuses.  Be prepared to raise the tank as there are plenty of electrical connections under there also.  Good luck.  May the Force be with you. 

Jberb

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »

Thanks. That's the track I'm on. I opened the powercommander plug and water literally poured out. Pretty sure I found the problem. Cleaned it up, giving it the day to dry out, then a little grease and a prayer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 12:20:50 PM »

Thanks. That's the track I'm on. I opened the powercommander plug and water literally poured out. Pretty sure I found the problem. Cleaned it up, giving it the day to dry out, then a little grease and a prayer.

Remember that the Power Commander is just a +/- add on to the tune in the control module.  It doesn't change the stock system at all.  So you can troubleshoot Power Commander problems by just taking it out of the system.  Plug the stock harness connector back on the stock control module.  If the engine build is more than mild it might not run will but it would at least run.  I've gotten a couple bikes home on long trips with failed Power Commanders many years ago by just unplugging the thing.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 04:55:35 AM »

Here in Australia the Power Commander male/female connections are well known to be problematic with corrosion issues.

They double the amount of area for corrosion , and don't seem as resistant to it as the OEM connectors.

Just totally unplug the Power Commander and see how you go, cleaning with WD40 or similar before you reconnect.

Worth a try and cost nothing but well spent time.
No illegitimi carborundum

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.