Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S 124 Dyno Results  (Read 1029 times)

Backroads3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

S&S 124 Dyno Results
« on: August 07, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »

Had the first dyno run and tune on my S&S124 yesterday and not sure if it is what would be expected. The 124 has more torque but around the same HP as the ST120 but the difference seems to be when HP comes on. We installed the S&S sidewinder 2into1 thinking that since S&S built both that they would be matched well. The 124 comes on quick but drops off as you'll see. Is the 122.9 HP average? 

The tuner wants to go through it again and they just repaired their dyno so he's checking on the O2 sensors because it was showing one cyl rich at the same time the other lean.

Attached is the chart from previous engines.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: S&S 124 Dyno Results
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 06:21:25 PM »

First, the disclaimer.  I don't have a deep level of experience with the 120ST (or R) and the S&S 124.

Second item: Did you get the HC or LC version?  I'm guessing LC, but it's been a while since I looked at them, and the S&S web site is no help - they have the same dyno chart for both HC and LC, which obviously isn't right.

Third, what tuner module (TTS, Direct Link, PowerVision, etc.) are you using on the engine?  All are similar, but do have some different features.

I'd prefer to see the actual dyno chart instead of selected numbers, but what I see in the numbers looks about right.  With the dyno chart, we could see if there is a big dip in the TQ curve, especially at low RPM, showing a mis-match between the pipe and engine.

Ask the dyno shop for the corrected output curve, not just selected numbers.  "Corrected" takes into account the actual temperature, barometric pressure, and relative humidity to show the actual output -- Un-corrected usually shows higher TQ and HP, but it's not what you're actually getting. 

Also, with the full dyno curve, you can see the actual AFR (air-fuel ratio), which lets us know if a cylinder is rich or lean, and if it's optimized, which gets the smoothest running and best performing engine.

HTH
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Backroads3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 01:23:46 PM »

I have the LC, tuner module is by TecnoResearch and was a license purchase. I asked for a dyno sheet with more detail and attached the one I have so far.

Thanks.

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 10:37:47 PM »

Be sure you get a copy of the tune on a thumb drive. Really sux when you have to pay for another tune if something goes wrong. And make sure it isn't the factory tune you get a copy of. Been there done that.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 01:34:44 AM »

Nothing grossly wrong with that tune - good smooth rise, not TQ dip showing mismatched pipe to cam.

I always like to see the AFR to make sure it's rich enough during the WOT run, which can generate higher numbers and helps protect against engine damage from too-lean condition.

It's good of your tuner to want to run it again to check AFR.  Worth it to ensure correct AFR as mentioned above.

His dyno might not have the "environmental" module to check and correct for temp, pressure, etc.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 08:39:59 AM »

Nothing grossly wrong with that tune - good smooth rise, not TQ dip showing mismatched pipe to cam.

I always like to see the AFR to make sure it's rich enough during the WOT run, which can generate higher numbers and helps protect against engine damage from too-lean condition.

It's good of your tuner to want to run it again to check AFR.  Worth it to ensure correct AFR as mentioned above.

His dyno might not have the "environmental" module to check and correct for temp, pressure, etc.
The Dyno run is corrected to SAE standard. This has the look of a smaller or quiet baffle pipe build. Exhaust is holding the horsepower back. Torque however is on tap to make this a very fun ride assuming it has a proper tune just running through the gears and stop and go. This is not shown on a dyno run and we don't ride nailing it WOT in high gear from 2200 rpm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:41:45 AM by HD Street Performance »

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 22 queries.