Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: dark sunglasses question  (Read 25910 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: dark sunglasses question
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »

Any of y'all ever used Icicles?  I bought their high-definition lenses (about $130 at HD 105th last year) copper toned lenses, aluminum cruiser style.  I've loved them every minute and even though they are dark enough for the brightest day I've had, I still keep them on when pulling in the garage at the office building.  However, the wife bought the less expensive plastic frames and they almost fall off her face on the freeway - but she loves the lenses.

http://www.icicles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=278&HS=1

Do you have their foam inserts also?  It looks like they may fit all of their glasses, but I didn't see where it tells you that for sure.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2009, 12:18:51 AM »

Honestly, aren't the prices for sunglasses RIDICULOUS???

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »

Abastarsmda, I don't have the inserts because they make me sweat too much.  Honestly though, with the contour of the frames, I don't get so much wind that I need them.

Yes, they are ridiculously expensive!

TLMitchell

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »

Wanted to get opinions on what dark sunglasses folks are using.  My Panoptics don't get dark enought in full sun.  Thanks!

I've worn Ray Ban sunglasses for over 40 years for riding, flying and just about everything else. I've yet to find anything darker than their G15 lens that doesn't distort light or colors. Kinda pricey, the aviators aren't as stout as some. As someone suggested, the Wayfarers are a good choice.

As I got older and my distant vision eroded I tried just about everything in a changeable lens. Nothing got dark enough for me. I started using contact lenses and some el-cheapo dark, wraparound safety glasses from Lowe's. Worked great until the near vision started getting a litte fuzzy. Then I found the safety glasses with windowed bifocals.

Last year I discover Corning's Thin n Dark glass lenses. They get as dark as anything I've ever used, the progresive bifocal is perfect and they have just enough weight to not bounce around in the wind while being light enough to be comfortable.

YMMV... TL

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »

I've worn Ray Ban sunglasses for over 40 years for riding, flying and just about everything else. I've yet to find anything darker than their G15 lens that doesn't distort light or colors. Kinda pricey, the aviators aren't as stout as some. As someone suggested, the Wayfarers are a good choice.

As I got older and my distant vision eroded I tried just about everything in a changeable lens. Nothing got dark enough for me. I started using contact lenses and some el-cheapo dark, wraparound safety glasses from Lowe's. Worked great until the near vision started getting a litte fuzzy. Then I found the safety glasses with windowed bifocals.

Last year I discover Corning's Thin n Dark glass lenses. They get as dark as anything I've ever used, the progresive bifocal is perfect and they have just enough weight to not bounce around in the wind while being light enough to be comfortable.

YMMV... TL

I wear my Ray Bans when I ride around locally, but with my contacts, I tend to get too much wind on the open road.  The Panoptx (7Eye) pair I have with the foam does me well, although not as dark as the Ray Bans.  I sold my pair of WileyX since they weren't dark enough and the fit didn't serve me well for wind protection.

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »

I wear my Ray Bans when I ride around locally, but with my contacts, I tend to get too much wind on the open road.  The Panoptx (7Eye) pair I have with the foam does me well, although not as dark as the Ray Bans.  I sold my pair of WileyX since they weren't dark enough and the fit didn't serve me well for wind protection.

Forgot to tell you last night - as I recall, Icicles DOES have foam inserts for all their glasses.  If you're headed to Sturgis, I bet they will be there so you can try them before buying.  If not, look for my O/B with TX plates and CB 16" screen and I'll let you try mine on.  We'll be there hopefully by Monday afternoon, July 27.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2009, 11:10:12 PM »

I just found out that the Panoptx (7Eye) glasses, at least the Whirlwind model that I have, now has foam pads with lenses.  To translate, you can now buy the foam pads with lenses inserted, to wear behind the regular lenses.  Result is a much darker lens.  I went to have my foam replaced since it's ripping apart.  When the gal at the dealer went to see if they had another foam piece in stock, what she pulled out had sunglass lenses inserted in the foam.  I think they wanted $35 for the foam with lenses.  The lenses are removable, so you can still have the foam inserts with just the regular lens in use, or pop them in and you are using 2 lenses.  I haven't really had much problem with the darkness of mine, so I opted for just the replacement foam.  But just in case anyone wants to make their glasses darker, they do have the option available.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 03:35:49 AM »

I just got my replacement foam inserts back from 7Eye and they are different that what came with them originally.  The foam now has what seems to be something like a velour covering over the foam portion.  I was told at the dealer that this was a new upgrade and that it is supposed to protect the foam from disintegrating and they also think that the new model is washable...but they couldn't confirm this for me.  The fit seems the same and they may even be a bit more comfortable, but I'll have to take a longer ride to make that statement firm.  I just checked on 7Eye's website and they are washable also.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »

another Mod complete :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2009, 08:24:47 AM »

another Mod complete :2vrolijk_21:

I think that's more like repair/replacement of a prior faulty mod.  As long as I don't have to get the Dremel involved, it's all good. :coolblue:

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »

RayBan Wayfarers's..G-15 lense...worn em for the last 30 years...I tend to stick with what works. Have had to have them domne with prescription lenses for the last 15 years..i wear em ridin..for work..in the pool..on the boat...great glasses...classic style :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »

RayBan Wayfarers's..G-15 lense...worn em for the last 30 years...I tend to stick with what works. Have had to have them domne with prescription lenses for the last 15 years..i wear em ridin..for work..in the pool..on the boat...great glasses...classic style :orange:

...the G-15's are glass lenses which provide the best optics and protection from harmful radiation. Doc

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »

RayBan's G-15 is the best lens out there. I'm always on the hunt for more.I have more pairs of Raybans then I can count.

I have been wearing Maui Jim's the last few years and really like them. I have not had any wind problem with them at all.  :2vrolijk_21:

I can not stand the foam on my skin from some of the other "motorcycle" glasses. So I wear a good quality lens and say the heck with it.

After 29 years of collecting "junk" motorcycle sunglasses I stay with Maui's and RayBan's. They work for me and that is all that counts. :2vrolijk_21:
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »

Im a source of knowledge, where it came from? who the f  k knows. but I still can't make, what I would consider, the perfect Margarita
Go to Ricks in Key West, best Margarita ever.  They also sell their mix.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »

Just bought the new oakley PIT Bosses love them best riding classes so far
That just happened
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.