Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: rain suit  (Read 20392 times)

scooter 6262

• Junior CVO Member
rain suit
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »

What is the best rain suit to buy.

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Rum
Re: rain suit
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »

Most long distance Goldwing riders wear Frogg togg. Inexpensive, light weight.
www.froggtoggs.com
“They don’t know that we know they know we know.”

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »

www.froggtoggs.com
They may be alright for 'Wingers, but I didn't see where they have heatshields in the legs. If that's the case you don't want them riding a Harley. Even w/my long legs I've touched the pipe of the unprotected (non-heatshield) pants leg on the pipes and had to replace them. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »

According to Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN), it's the Tour Master Elite II, two piece.  MCN is the Consumer Reports of the motorcycle industry....they don't accept any advertising and are beholding to nobody.

They've done motorcycle rain suit testing a couple of times over the past ten years or so and actually test a good number of them.  The Tour Master Elite II Two Piece came out on top both times and it's one of the least expensive rain suits tested (they use a fire hose for testing).  You can do a search.....the jacket and pants both should only be about $100.  They have several color options.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »

I have a couple of one piece BMW suits that are great. The color (black/silver with high vis yellow inserts) certainly shows up in the rain. I have been through some major storms with them and haven't come close to getting wet.
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:12:18 AM »

we go with these for two years now, bought them on sombodies sale for 50 $ each (i believe it was Chicago HD). Best we had ever, no wear visible after those 2 years, very comfortable, 100 % waterproof, very small when not in use. And we had some serious downpours since  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »

I upgraded to the Gortex Paclite from the Overpass II, and am very happy. The Overpass was ridiculously hot and wouldn't breathe, which drove me crazy. The Gortex Paclite on the other hand breathes very well, and is comfortable in any weather. I road for a few hours in a down pour and with my helmet, Paclite, Gloves and Gaiters, I was abolutely bone dry and quite comfortable. I cringed dropping the dough, but after suffering with the Overpass, the Gortex Paclite is well worth the money to me. It folds down very small, and works great.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

MD-Dave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »

www.froggtoggs.com

I had read good things about Frogg Toggs, so I bought some.  I got stuck in a downpour on my way into work and it lasted about ten minutes.  It was a pretty heavy rain but still it was only ten minutes.  The Frogg Toggs did not work!  I was soaked.  Rain came in through the front of the jacket, at the zipper, and to a lesser degree the sleeves.  The pants were even worse.  Knees down I was soaked and I was sitting in a puddle.  I thought maybe I did not get the jacket down over the pants far enough and it leaked in from the back.  Nope.  I gave them one more chance and paid particular attention to that.  I did get a little less water in the underwear but it was still there.  I really wanted these to work out because I love the fact that they breathe.  I have had a First Gear rainsuit for years and it works very well, but it does not breathe.  Rain does not get you but you get soaked by sweat!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

the H-D-suits I mentioned above were last tried some 5 weeks ago in around 80 F, 300 miles, 5 hours, first Autobahn, then backroads  in rain/hailstorm/bright sun/next heavy rain. No sweat even when the sun burned, no water got in, just perfect. We didn't have any hurry to get out of the rain gear.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 11:36:43 PM »

We keep two sets of the HD Canal Street's on the bike at all times.
They work very well in the rain, fold up to a very small package are quite reasonably priced.
The only drawback I have is they are not breathable so you will want to take them off asap!
(Good cold weather layer!)

Brad

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »

What is the best rain suit to buy.

Have had cheap rain suits (years ago) that were crap (a big black trash bag with holes for head & arms was the very cheapest) a long time back.  Have had some decent mid priced suits - I am not a fan of Frogg Toggs however.  The mid priced suits do not "breathe" and in warm weather, that sucks.

Currently utilizing Gore-tex Pac-lite suits from H-D.  They work great, they breathe, and they keep me & my BSR DRY, even in downpours.  They are pricey and yes there are less expensive options.  I have found for outdoor sports that Gore-tex (or a similar breathable waterproof fabric) works best. When it's raining like heck & the temp is dropping and you are riding DRY, the price point on the rain suit is worth it.  If you are riding wet & cold in a lousy suit, it makes for a less fun trip.

Tip:  buy the suit a little larger than your regular size to allow for layering up under the rain suit when the temps are cooler.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:33 AM »

I bought these last:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448770921&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302511643&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302511643&bmUID=1253087249637&bmLocale=en_US

I really like them but bought them because of the visibility of them.  Usually when you're riding in the rain it's hard to see so I hope maybe they'll help others see me.
  Had the Overpass which work well but are dark and bulky.  We always wear Cruiserworks boots which are waterproof so that takes care of our feet.
Steve

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 08:28:04 AM »

The Harley Hi-Vis rain suit is the best one I've seen yet...

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »

I'll give you another vote for Harley's Hi Vis suit. On our trip to Maggie Valley, we got into some very heavy downpours and my friend's Hi Vis suit really impressed me by how visible it was. I was having a heck of a time with my glasses fogging up and if it weren't for his bright colored orange suit to follow, I would have had to pull over. The most important benefit is how visible it is for someone in a car or truck !

After that trip, I looked at a lot of different rainsuits and realized that Harley did their homework. My new HiVis suit may not pack up as tight as Gore-tex but it was less than half the price, it's designed for riding motorcycles and it keeps me dry. My Frogg Toggs were what I would consider a good "temporary" rainsuit. They're cheaper and you get what you pay for. Like Fired00d said, they don't have heatshields on the legs and (like a lot of rainsuits), that's the worst thing about them. The first time I wore my Frogg Toggs, I  pulled into a parking lot, put my foot down and immediately burnt a big hole in my right pant leg. The material melted like you put a flame to plastic and I barely touched the pipes.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.