Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Been out shopping today...  (Read 1761 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Been out shopping today...
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:03 PM »

My better half is gone for 6 weeks visiting grandkids in Hawaii, so naturally, I had to go spend some money.  I'm kinda doing this in reverse, because I'm looking for opinions after I already got the stuff.  So, hopefully not too late to return if the reviews are bad.

First up - I needed some new riding boots, so I was trying on the usual Harley suspects at a local leather store.  The salesman recommended a pair that are not necessarily riding boots, but are intended for law enforcement officers - Bates GX-8 (E02268).  These boots are Gore-tex waterproofed, and are flat-out the most comfortable boots that I've ever had on my feet.  Here is an online vendor description:  http://www.camo-store.com/Boots%20Bates/Bates%20E02368%20%20Delta8%20Gortex%20Zip%20Tactical%20Boot.htm.  The salesman told me that they are made by Wolverine, who also make H-D boots.  The price that I paid ($95) is certainly reasonable for good riding boots.

Anyway, obviously comfort and price are not everything.  The heel/sole is very non-traditional looking for a riding boot.  Does anyone have any experience with these as it relates to traction on wet or oily surfaces? 

Second, I bought a Harley high visibility riding/rain jacket.  It's that time of year again when it's dark when I leave for work, and when I leave for home, so I figured a refresh of safety gear was in order.  This jacket is supposed to be waterproof, and visible from long distances.  What I would like to know is its realistic temperature range, and whether or not it is truly waterproof.  Here is H-D's description: http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773793&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309178688&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309178688&bmUID=1254015863857&bmLocale=en_US

Thanks in advance for your comments.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: Been out shopping today...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »

My better half is gone for 6 weeks visiting grandkids in Hawaii, so naturally, I had to go spend some money.  I'm kinda doing this in reverse, because I'm looking for opinions after I already got the stuff.  So, hopefully not too late to return if the reviews are bad.

First up - I needed some new riding boots, so I was trying on the usual Harley suspects at a local leather store.  The salesman recommended a pair that are not necessarily riding boots, but are intended for law enforcement officers - Bates GX-8 (E02268).  These boots are Gore-tex waterproofed, and are flat-out the most comfortable boots that I've ever had on my feet.  Here is an online vendor description:  http://www.camo-store.com/Boots%20Bates/Bates%20E02368%20%20Delta8%20Gortex%20Zip%20Tactical%20Boot.htm.  The salesman told me that they are made by Wolverine, who also make H-D boots.  The price that I paid ($95) is certainly reasonable for good riding boots.

Anyway, obviously comfort and price are not everything.  The heel/sole is very non-traditional looking for a riding boot.  Does anyone have any experience with these as it relates to traction on wet or oily surfaces? 

Second, I bought a Harley high visibility riding/rain jacket.  It's that time of year again when it's dark when I leave for work, and when I leave for home, so I figured a refresh of safety gear was in order.  This jacket is supposed to be waterproof, and visible from long distances.  What I would like to know is its realistic temperature range, and whether or not it is truly waterproof.  Here is H-D's description: http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773793&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309178688&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309178688&bmUID=1254015863857&bmLocale=en_US

I have a pair of those boots... you won't regret that purchase.

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »

I've been wearing the Bates Enforcers for quite a while now...both the 6" & the 10" and they are the best riding boots I have ever worn.  Extremely lightweight and comfortable.  I also have the hi-vis rain suit and it is definitely waterproof in all types of rain.  In my opinion, you have made some good choices...

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  It looks like it's going to be a rainy Fall, so it probably won't take long to put them to the test.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »

I also have the hi-vis rain suit and it is definitely waterproof in all types of rain.  In my opinion, you have made some good choices...

After looking at another one of your postings, I think that you are referring to an actual rain suit that H-D makes.  This is not the same thing.  It's a vinyl jacket with Gore-tex lining, and very heavy.  Almost FXRG-like.

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »

I was referring to the Harley Hi-Vis rain suit.  It's bright orange & black.  Keeps you very dry and is extremely visible in heavy rain.  It doesn't pack up too small, but it fits in the glove boxes of the Ultra (top in one side and the bottom in the other.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »

Those boots look a lot like the ones that Napalm showed me today and the description fits what he told me also.  He told me that they are the best and that after the really soggy rainstorm that everyone rode through in Maggie Valley yesterday, his feet were the only thing still dry.  As for the rainsuit, I don't know if I have seen that one yet, but my feeling on rainsuits is that the first thing I will look for in a future rainsuit is how small it will compress to pack.  I have the Overpass II now and it keeps me completely dry, but it takes up too much space to pack for a trip.  Anything that will keep you dry is fine for local, everyday riding since you have room to pack it, but again, if you are going on a trip and space is at a premium, make sure it compresses into a small space.  Having the body armor in it and the kidney belt tells me that it may not be as compact as some of the others available.  It's a nice looking jacket for sure.  If it does pack up real small, I'll add it to the list of the ones I would consider.  It looks like it's just the jacket and you need to buy the pants separately, so it's definitely a little on the pricey side.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »

Since we have had some rainy weather lately, I took them out on the road today for a test, and I have mixed reactions.

The boots are incredibly comfortable, and grip well.  My only complaint is that without a traditional heel/sole, they don't sit well on the highway pegs.  I think that I just have to find the right location & they will be OK.  I can't get over how comfortable they are. 

The jacket performed well, but I didn't drive through any real driving rain.  Steady, but light.  The outside temp was in the mid 60's, and I was very comfortable.  It looks like it is more of a spring/fall riding jacket that just happens to be waterproof.  It's kind of heavy, so may be too hot for the summer, and definitely would be insuffucient for anything below 40 or so.  Maybe down to freezing with a thermal shirt or sweatshirt underneath.  I think it will make a great addition to an extended ride this time of year, because it can do double duty as a good protective jacket, and eliminate the need to have a separate rain jacket.

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 21 queries.