Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a helmet to cut down on the wind noise  (Read 23197 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Need a helmet to cut down on the wind noise
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »

First off I have a Arai full coverage that works great, unfortunately I rarely wear a helmet due to an old neck injury.  I have had neck surgery that fused 3 disk plus I have additional damage so the weight of the helmet gets me fatigued real quick.  I need a light helmet that blocks out the wind noise.   I always wear earplugs and that helps quite a bit for the exhaust noise but it does very little for the wind noise.  I have a 08 SERK with two sizes of the Clearview windshield.  As a test the only thing that helps is having it on cruise control and cup each ear with my hand, that eliminates the noise and makes the ride very pleasurable.  I was thinking the weight of a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet with the ear flaps to cut down on the wind noise.  I have tried quite a few helmets and I guess my unusual head shape makes it difficult to find anything that fits properly.  For those that wear a helmet with the ear flap built in do you find it effective in reducing the wind noise?    I was thinking about purchasing the type of helmet a LEO would use.  They obviously need to have it somewhat quiet so they can communicate effectively. I want to wear a helmet but I need the right one.   Any help could just make a big difference for me someday.

Thanks

Ray G.

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
Re: Need a helmet to cut down on the wind noise
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »

I use a Bell Pitboss and find it to be light and with Neck Curtain blocks out a good portion of wind noise.  It is adjustable like a lot of the ski/snowbaord helmets to allow you to customize the fit.  Below is a link to a video but you should try one on.  Having the drop down viser can come in handy too.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-pit-boss-helmet-solid

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »

Ray,

My $. 02:  What type of plugs do you use? I tried the custom fit silicone ones which did little for the wind noise.  I have found that the cheap foam drugstore plugs work very well if inserted properly up against the eardrum. Not everyone wants to do this, however.

I have an HJC AC3 Carbon, 3/4 helmet.   It's very light but has been discontinued.  You can still find them, however.  HJC now has an RPHA line.  You might want to look at the modular RPHA Max.  They claim,  "Construction: A matrix of Carbon Fiber, Aramid, Fiberglass and plus Organic Non-Woven Fabric create a remarkably strong yet extremely lightweight shell...."  

Hope this helps.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »

I really appreciate the help guys.  I have tried many style of ear plus including the one you mentioned and it still has to much wind blowing by that area. We also have fairly new Nolan Modular models and while it is a great product it is way to heavy for me.  Even my wife found hers to be to heavy, so she wears an Arai as well.  I found a dealer locally that carries the Bell PitBoss so I will get over there to try one on as soon as I can.  Unlike myself my wife wears her helmet everytime she is on the bike, no exceptions.  Smart girl.

I'll let you know how it works out, the Revzilla infomercial was interesting.

Thanks

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »

No helmets in NH!!
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »

I'm well aware of the no helmet law in NH,  my post was asking for info on wearing a helmet that provided some wind protection before I loose what little hearing I have left.  I did try the Bell Pit boss at two locations on Friday and they didn't fit me well at all.  I will continue to try different ear plugs & may have some custom ones made.  I might just make a low profile ear protection set up like we use when we use our landscaping tools.   

Thanks

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »

If you have an Arai head (oval), it's going to be challenging finding something else that fits right.  By far the lightest, quietest helmet I've ever worn is the Nexx X60 Air.  We're it not for the excruciating pressure point on my forehead, I'd wear it any time the temperature was above 60. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Bull_Duck

• FL

• CVO1: 2008 Dyna FXDSE2 105th Anniversary - Copper Metallic & Black
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »

Bell Star Full face Carbon. Bought my wife a large one then a replacement interior in size medium. Fits her oval large capacity head very good. Mine is straight large with large interior. Both have the photo-chromatic visors. Best helmets I have owned.
2000 Deuce, Screamin' Eagle # Tangerine Paint Set
2008 FXDSE2 105th Anniversary CVO Dyna
2008 FLTR 105th Anniversary Road Glide

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »

Harley has a nice 3/4 carbon fiber lid called "Ultra Jet "  I have a Aria head, and lots of lids don't fit to well. And this Ultra Jet fit's me like a glove. It's light, looks good and readily available. Check it out. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »

Buy a Schubert C3 pro. All else is subpar

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 06:03:10 AM »

Just ordered a Schubert C3 from revzella on sale for $629 to your door, I live in Ohio no helmet law here and I don't wear one, have not found a comfortable one hope this one works !! I do have a couple half helmets and a Arai also a 3/4 new old style for helmets states and cold weather I really hope this one will work  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:05:12 AM by Ohio phil »

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »

I tried the Shubert C3 but it did not fit me as well as the Arai did, nice lid though.  I dropped by a local Dealership two weeks ago while they had an open house.  I found a lightweight 3/4 that was manufactured with larger than normal internal ear pockets that did the trick for me.  Fit was perfect, 30% off and dropped the wind noise level dramatically.    I can use that one daily but if I go over 80 mph it lets me know in a hurry.  For long distance I will use the Arai Full coverage.  I still use ear plugs with all my headgear. 

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 07:13:50 AM »

Ok got my Schubert and put 650 miles on it from 70* to 45* and rain it works well, still takes getting used to a helmet not hard in the cold weather, going to try and keep it on year round I do like the quite Ill get my sound working this winter so I got some music on my FXR  ;D

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »

If the C3 fit my head I'd have one.  They're great helmets.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »

I still have a well-worn Shuberth C2 that fits my long oval head perfectly. I heard the C3 fits intermediate oval/neutral heads unlike the older Schuberth C2. I'm looking at the Arai Signet Q helmet, but prefer a modular/flip helmet. Does anyone know of one that fits the Arai long oval shaped head?
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Page created in 4.102 seconds with 21 queries.