Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: lower speaker grill faded already  (Read 9344 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: lower speaker grill faded already
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 07:14:43 AM »

I like the way you think, if only all my high-end hearing wasn't all gone already..... :'(....spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 07:23:52 AM »

I like the way you think, if only all my high-end hearing wasn't all gone already..... :'(....spyder

I resemble that remark as well - I have a serious fall-off above 8K derived from HF-Comm deployment excercises back in the day.
I still convince myself that I can hear everything - otherwise I wouldn't need to drop the coin on high-quality speakers ;)
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »

I resemble that remark as well - I have a serious fall-off above 8K derived from HF-Comm deployment excercises back in the day.
I still convince myself that I can hear everything - otherwise I wouldn't need to drop the coin on high-quality speakers ;)
Face the music and save the coin.  Spend on something you can see/feel....you & I don't need high-end 'cause we can't hear it & you sure can't feel it like the low end.  Being a life-long musician & Infantry type destroyed everything above my mid-range....just glad to still have that at this point.  8) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »

Dealer informed me yesterday that Tech Support has authorized replacement of all six.  He also stated that Tech Support told him that this is the first they have heard of this issue.  I informed him that there have been others with the same issue that have had their's replaced.  They screwed around so long that I won't be able to have them replaced until I get back from my 4,500 rode trip.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »

Just completed the 7,500 mile service on my 2011 SESG....all the speaker grills are faded....Dealer called HD and they said they aren't aware of this issue...asked the dealer to take pictures and send...

I asked them to tell HD to read this forum...LMAO
2018 CVO StreetGlide

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »

Mine are doing the same thing. One thing I noticed is it appears to be a film. I can scratch the faded part with my fingernail and the "scale" flakes off. Underneath it looks fine. I wonder if its some kind of coating that is not adhering correctly?
2011 FLHXSE2

CVO King

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »

28K on my FLHXSE2 and the grills faded in 6 months. I just wipe them down with that clear tire shine sprayed on a rag.Looks like new and it lasts for a couple of months. By then you should have certainly detailed out your sled.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »

Just got all 6 of mine replaced,the tweeters had to be replaced since no covers that can be removed and my amp was replaced,after 2 other dealers told me nothing wrong,Pensacola and Ft.Walton stay away from those dealers,found a great one Eastern Shores Alabama,will be getting my money from now on.
Stereo sounds awesome again .no more cutting out on the right side and no distortion .

NativTexan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »

All of mine looked just like this.  I scratched the white coating off with my fingernail and now they look just fine.  The dealer as ordered me all new ones but I wonder if the same thing is going to happen again.  Looks like some type of coating over the powder coating is what is coming off.
2011 Black Diamond/Crimson FLXSE2
Allen, Texas

Invisible68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »

Dealer informed me yesterday that Tech Support has authorized replacement of all six.  He also stated that Tech Support told him that this is the first they have heard of this issue.  I informed him that there have been others with the same issue that have had their's replaced.  They screwed around so long that I won't be able to have them replaced until I get back from my 4,500 rode trip.

just think of it this way:  You will have really nice ones... vs the new ones getting all the sun time and being faded by the time you get back.... dnr

Invisible68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

Just completed the 7,500 mile service on my 2011 SESG....all the speaker grills are faded....Dealer called HD and they said they aren't aware of this issue...asked the dealer to take pictures and send...

I asked them to tell HD to read this forum...LMAO

they probably read this forum so they have time to make up excuses and see how they float... or don't float.... and see if they need to come up with a better response....

Invisible68

GBeck

• CW5, US Army, 24 years and counting...

• CVO1: 2008 SE Dyna
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Street Glide
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »

Simple Green and a terry cloth fixed the problem on mine.  It does appear to be some type of film as opposed to a coating degradation.  Glad it's not going to be a "me against the machine" event with the dealer!
"Without the possibility of death adventure is not possible." - Reinhold Messner

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »

I also have hearing loss over the years.  My wife talks and all I hear is a buzzing noise.   ;)
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

sammyj

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze/ Antique Gunstock "Charmaine"
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »

I  "RE-PAINTED" Mine with a wide tip Sharpie Marker...
Looks great, slightly more glossy than stock...
Holding up great.

Did not want to hassle with the dealer because I used the grills
from the stock speakers on the JL upgrade to keep everything looking stock.
T-Man 110 CVO Stage II Kit, Jims Crankshaft & Rods, 58mm Throttle Body, SE Pro Tuner, SE Roller Rockers & Lifters, Fueling Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, V&H Dresser Duals & Hi-Outputs, Barnett Scorpion Clutch, 30T Drive Sprocket, Progressive MonoTubes & 940 Rears, LED Headlight & Spots, 6" Freedom Shield, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome Starter, Alpine & JL Audio 600 Watt 6ch Stereo with Saddle Bag Lid Speakers, Zumo 665, Kury LED
Turn Signals...

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »

Sharpie is also great to touch up minor chips in black paint.
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.