Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with modified 2005 CVO Electra Glide rear seat mount  (Read 2264 times)

SagginBags23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Help with modified 2005 CVO Electra Glide rear seat mount
« on: May 24, 2021, 06:41:02 PM »

Hey everyone. New to the group. I have a 2005 CVO Electra Glide with a Milwaukee Baggers stretched bags/rear fender cover kit which was installed when I bought it. It came with a LaPera Solo seat and the suction cup pillion, the latter of which did not make my wife happy over bumps. So I ordered and just received the matching pillion from LaPera. It looks great and hooks up on the front just fine, but the problem I have is that there is no hole at the rear of the mounting bracket, where I'm guessing the normal rear seat mount would be. I assume this was because the previous owner(s) wanted to maintain a clean look when the suction cup seat wasn't being used. Well, new owner (me) wants to permanently install the pillion, so I'm looking for advice on what to do. It appears as though the fender kit is installed over a stock fender (but definitely NOT the original, as it is a completely different color); Is it possible that there is a threaded mount on that "inner" fender, and I just need to drill a hole to access it? I don't want to eff anything up, but I don't want to spend a weekend modifying and fabricating, either. Riding season in Wisco is short enough! All help appreciated!
Todd

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Help with modified 2005 CVO Electra Glide rear seat mount
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »

If the original fender is still under there you should be able to drill a hole to access it but it depends on how tight the aftermarket fender sits to the original on what your next step will be.  If it’s a very tight fit, the previous owner might have removed the hardware. If it sits up slightly over the original fender then you may just have to modify the length of your rear seat bolt to reach down to it. Drilling it in the correct spot is going to be your biggest challenge and for that I have no advice.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:00:42 PM »

Yes on my 04 SEEG (Screamin Eagle Electra Glide) there was a nut that was secured (welded?) to the under side of the fender.  We would put the passenger seat on and insert a short, knurled thumb screw into the hole.

The trick is going to be to identify the location in the aftermarket fender kit overlay.  I've never even heard of that.  But you can removed the rear wheel and drill a small pilot hole from the inside going out.  Be sure to cover that fender overlay kit with blue painters tape and go slow with the drill.  I would start with no larger than 1/8".

Some body may be along here with a better idea.  I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a fender overlay kit.

Good luck!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »

The original seat attachment part is held in with an e-clip in the original fender.  Not welded in.  If your fender extension is Milwaukee Bagger it's probably the part pictured below or one of the close cousins they offer.

If so I've dealt with one of those.  It was held on with 3M two sided tape.  If yours is the same as what I was the fender extension stands just a little proud of the fender.  The threaded insert in the original fender may or may not still be there.  Even if it is I'd worry the normal seat bolt may not reach.  Don't know for sure but would want to look closely.

If the seat bolt does read and the threaded insert is still in place, as has been mentioned above, you'll have to carefully make a hole that lines up with the original threaded insert.  If the insert is gone you could drill through the original hole (with the tire out of the way) to align the hole but the painted fender extension may make it difficult if not impossible to install the threaded insert normally as you won't be able to get at the hole to snap on the e-clip.

Look for that original hole.  Try to see it.  If it's there and you can take a skinny punch up through the middle of the threaded hole and put a divot in the fender extension.  Or grind a point on the end of a 1/4" bolt and run it up from the bottom side.  Let that point put a little divot in the fender for you.  Find your mark on the top, use a light blunter punch from the top and knock a divot back the other direction, and drill there.

Hopefully you can see and use the original hole in the original fender.  And, hopefully, it's not too much of a pain in the ass to get to. 

Honestly I'd almost hope the threaded insert was gone and I had no original hole to guide me though.  Might be easier to just set the pillion in place, see where its rear bolt hole lines up, make a divot and drill a hole, but drill a hole big enough for a nutsert.  Then just install the nutsert and, voila, threaded hole!

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 08:57:24 PM »

maybe try using a small mechanics mirror on  extendable shaft to see if you can see what you have before removing the rear wheel. just a thought
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

SagginBags23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »

All great advice. I'll take a mirror and see if the original nutsert is there. If not, any ideas where to find one?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 11:06:49 PM »

All great advice. I'll take a mirror and see if the original nutsert is there. If not, any ideas where to find one?

The original threaded part is not a nutsert.  It's just an insert held in by an e-clip.  A nutsert would need a bigger hole and a kind of overgrown pop rivet tool.  It would expand out into the hole and get crimped into place that way.  You're on the right track though. Look to see what's there to begin with. If the original insert is there and you can locate a whole above it maybe just use a longer bolt than the normal seat screw if necessary. More than one way to skin a cat or a seat.

SagginBags23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

UPDATE: Got a look under the rear fender. I can see the original hole, but there's no nut insert there. I did, however, find a 1/4-20 nut insert towards the rear of the inner fender and took it off. I'll use that once I make a hole in the outer fender.
Thanks again for all the help. The Harley community is very cool and helpful!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 10:12:04 PM »

UPDATE: Got a look under the rear fender. I can see the original hole, but there's no nut insert there. I did, however, find a 1/4-20 nut insert towards the rear of the inner fender and took it off. I'll use that once I make a hole in the outer fender.
Thanks again for all the help. The Harley community is very cool and helpful!

Unless that insert is what you plan to actually use don't jump the gun.  If you're going to install an nutsert they aren't all the same.  Most have knurling but I've seen a few that didn't.  The OD from different manufacturers can vary a little also.  No reason to be in a hurry.  Wait to make the hole until you've got the actual piece you're going to install in to the fender.  Just to be safe.

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.