Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wind question  (Read 3081 times)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Wind question
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »

I have a stock clearview shield on my 2003 serk. The wind hitting the rider is way past "not fun". I have tried to find out why and discovered that if I move my feet to the top of the highway bar, I have no wind to speak of. I must assume that the wind is hitting my legs and being forced up the ramp into my face. Is this problem a combination of the shield and rider position or have nothing to do with the shield? Anyone else notice something similar and if so what is the fix?

Thanks,
Plasmaman

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
Re: Wind question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:02 AM »

Has little to do with the shield.  Wind on all kinds of H-D's comes up from the bottom, from underneath the shield.  Just put your arm and hand over the tank while riding and feel the wind.  It is worse with the FX framed bikes with shields and their raked out front forks.  Road Glides and E-Glides have somewhat of the same situation but can be aided by lowers on the engine guards and air deflectors on lower part of the bat wing fairing. You've discovered an advantage I have with my long legs... my knees block some of the wind coming up from the bottom.  Also, placing your feet or legs on the highway bars in different positions can also greatly reduce the "breeziness" of the ride.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:51:55 AM »

From what you're describing I'd assume the bike doesn't have the front fork air baffle installed.  Part # 58520-79TC and around $20.00.  Bolts on the back side of the fork and can make a huge difference in the wind coming up your front and buffeting the inside of windshield and handlebars on a Road King.

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

Thanks for the imput. I will check on the wind baffle next time in Ft Worth.

Plasmaman

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

From what you're describing I'd assume the bike doesn't have the front fork air baffle installed.  Part # 58520-79TC and around $20.00.  Bolts on the back side of the fork and can make a huge difference in the wind coming up your front and buffeting the inside of windshield and handlebars on a Road King.

Twolanerider, that is the first decent picture that I have ever seen of the front fork air baffle. The pictures on the MoCo website aren't from a good angle and I couldn't picture how they would fit on the bike...thanks.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »

I found that with fork wind deflectors the ride is great, no wind coming from below.   billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »

Twolanerider, that is the first decent picture that I have ever seen of the front fork air baffle. The pictures on the MoCo website aren't from a good angle and I couldn't picture how they would fit on the bike...thanks.

The baffle comes with a couple of screws.  Uses threaded holes that already exist in the back of the fork.  It's truly just a few minute install.  Cheap part and quick install for something that can make a significant difference in the quality of the ride.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

The baffle comes with a couple of screws.  Uses threaded holes that already exist in the back of the fork.  It's truly just a few minute install.  Cheap part and quick install for something that can make a significant difference in the quality of the ride.

The plain black one used to be standard on all the FLH's. But now you need to add it. No FLH should be without it IMO!!! The Chrome Fork Air Deflectors work well too. But they're ugly and don't work in all applications. I would use the baffle regardless of anything else you do. It should be standard on these bikes! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »

The plain black one used to be standard on all the FLH's. But now you need to add it. No FLH should be without it IMO!!! The Chrome Fork Air Deflectors work well too. But they're ugly and don't work in all applications. I would use the baffle regardless of anything else you do. It should be standard on these bikes! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Those vertical deflectors on the sides of the forks are ugly.  Even uglier than you or me.  And they do seem to sometimes create as much turbulence as you're trying to get rid of.  You're right though, the little deflector in the center should be stock.  Never understood why HD stopped doing so.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »

Those vertical deflectors on the sides of the forks are ugly.  Even uglier than you or me.  And they do seem to sometimes create as much turbulence as you're trying to get rid of.  You're right though, the little deflector in the center should be stock.  Never understood why HD stopped doing so.
Because we'll pay $20.00 (or whatever the price is) to add it. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yeah, but as you can see, many don't even know it exists, or even what it is. They can always build the cost in and charge accordingly. Especially CVO's. That's what gets me, cheaping out on so much necessary stuff, when they can REALLY DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, and just charge what it costs to do it right the first time!!! STF!!! >:( ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

That might be a good picture of the baffle, but don't let him fool ya . . . that ain't Don in the reflection.  That guy's got hair! :vrolijk27:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Some things for sure.  Big shiny bits on the dealership P&A wall.  It behooves the MoCo to throw the dealerships some parts bones and labor.  But this is cheap and actually consequential.  And like Howie mentioned; it's hidden and many guys don't know it's missing nor what it does just by seeing it on a wall. 

Otis explained to me shortly after I got the SERG that SERGs saw a production change.  Early production got them and later didn't.  So I hustled my chubby little butt out to the garage to look to see if I had one.  Sure enough, it was there.  Just like it should be.  With all that dark midnight red around it's good that the baffle on the SERG is the flat black version.  Blends right in.  But if Harley ever thought it was important enough to make stock on a fixed fairing bike it's just hard to figure out why it shouldn't be there on a machine in which the bars and windshield could actually be shaken a bit.  And that doesn't even mention the rough air no longer coming right up the rider's chest and face with the baffle installed.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »

That might be a good picture of the baffle, but don't let him fool ya . . . that ain't Don in the reflection.  That guy's got hair! :vrolijk27:
:ROFLOL: True dat... I had to go back and enlarge the picture... You don't miss a thing. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »

Nope.  That's just an eBay image I stole from someone's listing last night to illustrate the part. 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.