Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: which oil to choose ??? (not in the US)  (Read 766 times)

Rob

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
which oil to choose ??? (not in the US)
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »

I'm going to change my oil next week, there is so much talk about which to choose, what is wright for me ?? please help I'm not so good with this (first self oil change).... :drink:

2002 FLHRSEI  (been on mineral oil since new)

1.revtech (mineral) 20w-50

2.revtech  SAE 50

3.Harley Davidson original 20w-50

4. ???????????

been getting pretty hot on the Harley 20w-50 , i was informed that i should go with the "revtehc SAE 50 grade" ?? and it will cool it down a bit ??

thx in advance guy's,

rob
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:32:35 AM by Rob »
Robert
FLHRSEI
POLAND

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: which oil is better ???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:42 AM »

Redline 20-60 full synthetic.
or
Mobil 1 Vtwin 20-50 full synthetic.

Rob

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »

i was told i cant put in synthetic oil if i was on mineral for all this time !!! is this true ???
Robert
FLHRSEI
POLAND

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:06 AM »

I have changed to synthetics from conventional motor oils before with no adverse effects other than cost but oil change frequency drops too ...Hmmm..

"Mineral" oil here is a slightly different product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Mineral oil or liquid petroleum is a by-product in the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum based products from crude oil. It is a transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes (typically 15 to 40 carbons)[1] and cyclic paraffins, related to white petrolatum. It has a density of around 0.8 g/cm3.[2] Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities. Mineral oil is available in light and heavy grades, and can often be found in drug stores.

Motor oil, or engine oil, is an oil used for lubrication of various internal combustion engines. While the main function is to lubricate moving parts, motor oil also cleans, inhibits corrosion, improves sealing and cools the engine by carrying heat away from the moving parts. Motor oils are derived from petroleum and non-petroleum synthesized chemical compounds used to make synthetic oil. Motor oil mostly consists of hydrocarbons, organic compounds consisting entirely of carbon and hydrogen.

Synthetic oil is oil consisting of chemical compounds which were not originally present in crude oil (petroleum), but were artificially made (synthesized) from other compounds. Synthetic oil could be made to be a substitute for petroleum, or specially made to be a substitute for a lubricant oil, such as conventional (mineral) motor oil refined from petroleum. When a synthetic oil or synthetic fuel is made as a substitute for petroleum, it is generally produced because of a shortage of petroleum or because petroleum is too expensive[citation needed]. When synthetic oil is used as a substitute for lubricant refined from petroleum, it generally provides superior mechanical and chemical properties than those found in traditional mineral oils.

Hope it helps more than confuses... :P

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »

i was told i cant put in synthetic oil if i was on mineral for all this time !!! is this true ???

No.  Absolutely not.  Do your bike a favor and switch to synthetic!

I use Redline V-Twin synthetic.  20W50 in the winter and 20W60 in the summer.  Shop it at Amazon.com or this place for everything you need:   :2vrolijk_21:

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/RedLineOilBigTwin20W50Powerpack/Motorcycle_Oil_Powerpacks

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.