Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rider needs assistance  (Read 1011 times)

fkhan726

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

rider needs assistance
« on: September 13, 2020, 12:36:46 AM »

Hey all,

A friend just bought a 2016 CVO RG Ultra and riding it down from Spokane to Vegas.  He has made it down to Wells Nevada tonight but is having issues with the clutch.  In 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the clutch lever lever pulls and releases just fine but intermittently in 4th 5th and 6th, the lever seems to have plenty of freeplay and barely engages all the way out.  Almost sounds like there is no friction zone.  I am going to head up from Vegas early tomorrow but any thoughts?  Bad fluid, Master/Slave cylinder issue? I remember some recall on the 15/16 bikes in regards to the clutch.   If you have the clutch recall notification, can you post the content or the link.  Thanks,

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: rider needs assistance
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 04:41:23 AM »

If it's hydraulic there should be virtually NO 'free play'.

Perhaps an air bubble in the system?

If you add fluid at the bars and don't let the level drop, you can try bleeding.

I usually pressure feed/bleed from the bottom up after cleaning the reservoir.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »

Sounds like old fluid symptom.
Had this loss of clutch operation with hot fluid on a bike years ago,  after the bike and fluid cooled the clutch worked.
If the symptoms are like mine were.
I would start with taking the cover off to remove the old fluid by dipping a clean rag into the master cylinder,  wipe out the black seal deposits,  fill with proper brake fluid for the bike and bleed the remaining old fluid from the system.
There was a clutch hydraulic system recall on earlier years, I have a 2015 limited and have not recieved one for it.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

fkhan726

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »

Thank you gents.  Just got the bike home.  There is a bit of play of play in the clutch bit rideable.  It was parked mostly outside so I'm sure there is moisture in the system.  We will take it to Henderson Harley for the recall as it was not done by previous owner.  Looks like they rebuild the master cylinder and replace the fluid so most likely that will correct the issue.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »

The fluid needs to be CHANGED at least every two years.  If that is not done you will have issues when it gets hot or at altitude due to moisture in the system. 

This is recommended for the brake fluid too.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 24 queries.